NAD: Mesa Boogie Mark III (Red Stripe)

Quick question for you all.

The amp is noisy mostly on the clean channel with the volume up on lower notes (low E). It's like a static noise on the pick attack.

At first I thought it was maybe a tube, but everything looks good.

I am currently in a house (temporary military stuff) and the electrical in here seems wonky. The lights are from the 70's and there's a ton of static everywhere. If I walk around and then sit down at my desk and touch my computer I get shocked. If the amp is on, and someone turns on a light I can hear a small pop in the amp.

I contacted the previous owner (who offered a refund if necessary) and he stated that he never had any sound issues, and contacted the owner previous to that (who I think was the original owner) who stated he never conducted ANY maintenance on the amp (to include tubes). I don't know if that is true, though, because it has JJ tubes and I would assume it would have come with Mesa tubes.

So, do you think the noise is the amp or the electrical here?

A good one may help, but it's not going to be the $80 Furman from my experience. More expensive but better solution would be to have the electrical looked at by an electrician and see if they can upgrade the house electrical at not too much of a cost.
This is military base housing, so not an option for me.

I'll just live with it until I get back to CA in July.

Is playing it going to hurt it?

This is military base housing, so not an option for me.

I'll just live with it until I get back to CA in July.

Is playing it going to hurt it?
You could maybe fix it with a $40 noise gate. I know some will say it’s sacrilege to run cheap pedals with killer amps, but hell I think the SD1 is the primo OD for metal myself. So why not snag a Donner Noise Killer and run it either in front of the amp or in the loop? I have one, it’s as good as a decimator (yes it really is, don’t believe the snobs on this one), and it may be a cheap solution.

You could maybe fix it with a $40 noise gate. I know some will say it’s sacrilege to run cheap pedals with killer amps, but hell I think the SD1 is the primo OD for metal myself. So why not snag a Donner Noise Killer and run it either in front of the amp or in the loop? I have one, it’s as good as a decimator (yes it really is, don’t believe the snobs on this one), and it may be a cheap solution.

Interesting… I’m not a snob about Chinese clones, but the noise killer I had was the worst purchase I’ve ever made. This has me willing to give a different one another shot though….

Not a bad idea - ok, I will give this a try.

Great score! Let's hear it!

I'm with DD. SD1 and Noise Killer. I got my Noise Killer for $26 dollars and it's the best gate I've ever had.

I'd love another opportunity to sit down with a MkIII. I've owned a II and a IV, and have visiting privileges with a V:25. :D In the very brief time I spent with a III (tire-kicking at the store) I didn't bond with it at all. Couldn't find the gain; couldn't find the scoop I was into at the time. (This is with no pedals - at that time my thinking was, "If the amp can't do it, it's the wrong amp." :idk) I must have been doing something wrong with the channel/ mode selection.

It seems like the Mk you hear about least - kind of Mesa's proverbial "red-headed stepchild". Is this a misconception on my part, and how significantly does it deviate from the MkII's that preceded it (apart from the introduction of a 3rd channel)?

So now I'm looking at used MkIII's (gee thanks). I came across this listing, which I share only because I think it's hilarious when the seller says the amp weighs "at LEAST 4,000 tons." :rofl (A conservative estimate IME.) Funny guy gets free PR LOL:

P.S. The amp is gorgeous, and if I were in LA I think I might actually go buy it. Despite being a notorious spendthrift cheapskate. (Turns out I didn't know what "spendthrift" means LOL.)

Last edited:
Back