NGD - 1983 Mesa Boogie Mark IIB

Jaji

Groupie
IMG_20230414_143859264.jpg

I just inherited my father's 1983 Mesa Mark IIB. 100 watt, simul-class with GEQ and reverb. Original EVM 12L speaker. Haven't fired her up yet. It's sat so long, I anticipate a service trip. Fortunately there is a certified Mesa tech very close to where I live. Factory footswitch is missing, already found a replacement. Original cover is pretty worn out, too, but have a great line on a replacement for that, too. Even found a Mogami cable tucked inside the combo body. What a great way to end my week!

I've already ordered some replacement power tubes. Since it's simul-class, I will have EL34s and 6L6s in it at least once to try. Once the new tubes arrive, I will take her to the local tech to get the clean bill of health. After that, she will roar once again on a stage.

Previously, my dad gave me his Road King 1. I love Mesa amps, but that one was overkill for me. As blasphemous as this will sound, the only Recto amp I've ever really liked is the Badlander. I sold the RK and my V a year and a half ago. I'd rather have this IIB over a V anyway, even though I loved Tweed mode.

For a 40 year old amp, she looks pretty good. And I know once it gets a good checkup, she will sound heavenly.

I am on a waiting list with the only Mesa tech in my area. I'm good with the wait. I did a full tube swap and fired it up. The lead channel didn't feel as robust is I recall from 3 decades ago. I'm not in any great hurry, so I can be patient. I have plenty of other amps to tote around until I get this one checked out.

I got a surprise when I re-tubed. V2 had a Tunsgram ECC83 in place. I had no idea my father even dipped his toes into NOS tubes. Wish I could test this one out, but for now, it's in a box, replaced by an NOS Chinese tube Mesa used to put in the Mark IIIs.

Then, there is a pair of Penta KT66s I am wondering what to do with. No, they weren't in the amp. It had a full quad of Mesa 440s. I need to find my Mesa 415s. I seem to have misplaced them, lol.

I've already ordered some replacement power tubes. Since it's simul-class, I will have EL34s and 6L6s in it at least once to try. Once the new tubes arrive, I will take her to the local tech to get the clean bill of health. After that, she will roar once again on a stage.

Previously, my dad gave me his Road King 1. I love Mesa amps, but that one was overkill for me. As blasphemous as this will sound, the only Recto amp I've ever really liked is the Badlander. I sold the RK and my V a year and a half ago. I'd rather have this IIB over a V anyway, even though I loved Tweed mode.

For a 40 year old amp, she looks pretty good. And I know once it gets a good checkup, she will sound heavenly.
Congrats!

For me the Tweed mode in the Mark V was worth the asking price alone when I had that amp such and amazing tone I got from my teles, Strats and LPs.

16440594596_a83299ec54_b.jpg

Back