Mesa Mark I, II, III or IV ???

Achilles

Rock Star
Smoke em if you got em.

1987 Mark III SRG red stripe with new caps and the rhythm channel master volume mod. Dusted it off cause of the talk in the Fractal thread. Having not played it in about a year the mind blower reminder right off the bat is what a glorious freaking clean channel this has. Really nice Fendery stuff inside. The gain side is great but nothing that'll replace the Ares. It's going back in storage until old Mesa pricing starts going absolutely bonkers - then it'll hit the market.

20231211_182304.jpg

EDIT: Just quickly plugged the KSR back in and the gain that was taking 7s and 8s on the pre-amp side of the MIII are easily gotten with the Areas on about 4. It's actually got some Mark flavor to it but with more bite and aggression.

Last edited:
Mark IV B mounted in the rack kit & Studio Preamp. Both stock. Both sound glorious.

Had a Studio Pre and it blew an optical switch. The PCB was fragile enough that the trace got trashed trying to replace the part. Could have gotten it fixed but the cost would have been insane. I'd gotten a good deal on it in the first place so it wasn't worth the added investment.

While I got you on the line, you noted in your early review of the Myasnikov Super Lead that the output level was set ridiculously hot on it. Do you know if that ever got addressed? Thanks Leon!

IMG_0709.jpeg

My Mark III Blue Stripe simul class that was purchased as a combo and rehoused after a decade. It has a slight mod where my amp tech added a cap into C30 to basically turn it into a red stripe - shaves a little top off. It’s the most effective part of the + mod you sometimes see people get on their III.

I wouldn’t sell this amp for any amount of money. It oozes mojo and I love it more every time I plug in.

Realistic mark IIIs that are actually selling have been creeping down closer to $1700 or so locally here. People trying to sell for $2.5-4K have been sitting on them for months to years

Still a far cry from the good ol days tho but I’ll keep watching

Realistic mark IIIs that are actually selling have been creeping down closer to $1700 or so locally here. People trying to sell for $2.5-4K have been sitting on them for months to years

Still a far cry from the good ol days tho but I’ll keep watching
I’m eyeing a Mark III (Purple Stripe) locally. The guy has it up for $2200 but has offered it to me for $1700. I just bought a Lonestar Special but damn…might bite on it.

Personally I think he’d take $1500 to get rid of it.

Mark III's are amazing amps. :love Just need to drive them with so much juice that it makes them
difficult and challenging to use, in my experience. Then you have the whole R1/R2 discrepancy
with setting/balancing volumes.

My first Mark was a III. Moved on to a IV. Honestly, don't really miss either. :sofa

Back