NAD: Ceriatone Chupacabra 50w (pink & blue)

Profiles with the knobs at noon, bright switches to the left.

Toyed around with the ERA (Jose clipping) and the Deep knob on the Mr. Scary:

Dang this sounds and feels good.

I'm guessing the ERA switch to left is more 80's because it has squish and compression. Feels good on the fretting hand. Right feels more modern and tighter, good for tight chugs.

Dang this sounds and feels good.

I'm guessing the ERA switch to left is more 80's because it has squish and compression. Feels good on the fretting hand. Right feels more modern and tighter, good for tight chugs.
Page 5 in their manual (https://ceriatone.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/ceriatone-chupacabra-50w-manual.pdf) says Right is the '80s voicing and Left is modern.
I never knew which direction is which lol - I think they're different between their Hot Rodded Plexi series amps but I enjoy both flavors for sure depending on what I'm jamming along to.

Weird that feels a bit backward. But I like all the tones you provided.

I've only played with my PAF's thus far (Suhr SSV). Need to test with the LP and Medium Output buckers (SSH)

Weird that feels a bit backward. But I like all the tones you provided.

I've only played with my PAF's thus far (Suhr SSV). Need to test with the LP and Medium Output buckers (SSH)
On the King Kong 50, right on Era switch = 80's and left = modern.

Just tried again, I must have been crosseyed. After playing again I would agree it feels more 80's on the right.

After some more research I emailed Nik and asked him to put the buffered FX loop in my Chupa, too. I usually don‘t even use any FX in the loop, but I might want to put a gate in there (if the amp even needs it) or an HX Stomp to use its preamp models with the Chupa. So before problems arise later, I thought I'd better play it safe and order the loop straight away.

Nik told me the wait time is 3-4 weeks. Excited AF!

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com

After some more research I emailed Nik and asked him to put the buffered FX loop in my Chupa, too. I usually don‘t even use any FX in the loop, but I might want to put a gate in there (if the amp even needs it) or an HX Stomp to use its preamp models with the Chupa. So before problems arise later, I thought I'd better play it safe and order the loop straight away.

Nik told me the wait time is 3-4 weeks. Excited AF!

Happy Jeff Goldblum GIF by Apartments.com
They managed to get the lead times seriously low for hand-built turret board amps. Shipping is seriously good as well.
Did you get the standard headshell or a smaller one like mine?

They managed to get the lead times seriously low for hand-built turret board amps. Shipping is seriously good as well.
Did you get the standard headshell or a smaller one like mine?
Apart from the FX loop, I ordered the amp in the standard version.

With or without the corners? They can leave those out
Standard. I guess that's with the black corners. :idk

Man, I just can't stop playing through your Chupa & Suhr RL capture. With an SD-1 in front and the input volume down quite a bit it sounds nothing less than glorious for Thrash.

Standard. I guess that's with the black corners. :idk

Man, I just can't stop playing through your Chupa & Suhr RL capture. With an SD-1 in front and the input volume down quite a bit it sounds nothing less than glorious for Thrash.
It's an amazing amp - you'll love it. It has a lot of range it can cover in between the ERA modes, the FOCUS (Gain 1 is a push/pull) and the Pussy Trimmer in the back.
AND the tonestack frequency ranges are VERY usable. I like how they tweaked it.

It's an amazing amp - you'll love it. It has a lot of range it can cover in between the ERA modes, the FOCUS (Gain 1 is a push/pull) and the Pussy Trimmer in the back.
AND the tonestack frequency ranges are VERY usable. I like how they tweaked it.
Yeah, really curious about that Focus switch!

@2dor Is the switch of the effect loop there to turn off its buffer or the whole loop?
My Chupacabra doesn't have the "on/off" switch for the FX loop nor a Return control on the back panel - probably because the shorter headshell they couldn't fit it in there.

My King Kong 100 does have a on/off switch for the loop as well as a Return pot on the back.
If I have the loop ON, i need to have stuff plugged into the loop to hear anything.
If I have the loop OFF, then it's bypassed completely even if I have stuff plugged in.

Yours could be different if it was a customized build; mine's a "vanilla" King Kong as Ceriatone builds them.
Mine is passive. That's why I ordered a Klein-ulator from Ceriatone on Tuesday. Crazy thing is that its estimated delivery date is tomorrow.

Last edited:
Mine is passive. That's why I ordered a Klein-ulator from Ceriatone on Tuesday. Crazy thing is that its estimated delivery date us tomorrow.
Not sure what Ceriatone's up to but they've improved their build & delivery times considerably in the past year.

I recall when I was reding up posts where builds used to take several months, even up to a year. Nowadays, I see stuff get done in between 4 - 12 weeks and shipped to the owner's door in less than a week which is crazy! I buy stuff domestically and sometimes it takes more to arrive than the amps I got from Ceriatone in MY lol.

Back