Modelling Hate ?

Ideally why not make a trad cab offering 8" 10" 12" variations with Quality speakers and a Full range amp
and well nothing that will break the bank like a Friedman ASM 12
If you want to run a traditional guitar cab rig there are tons of options/products. Get a cab you like, pick a power amp and have at it. There are lots of highly portable power amps these days and cabs is cabs. I checked out of the Amp where I'm at vs "FRFR" ages ago, personally. No reason to not have both options at your disposal if you can afford it.

Ideally why not make a trad cab offering 8" 10" 12" variations with Quality speakers and a Full range amp
If you want to run a traditional guitar cab rig there are tons of options/products. Get a cab you like, pick a power amp and have at it. There are lots of highly portable power amps these days and cabs is cabs. I checked out of the Amp where I'm at vs "FRFR" ages ago, personally. No reason to not have both options at your disposal if you can afford it.
That's what I prefer. My favorite setup (aside from a tube amp) is a FM9 through a Mesa 4x12. Sometimes via a Friedman effects return with the FM9 power amp modelling disabled, sometimes through a Powerstage 170.

My two QSC HPR122is are amazing "FRFR" PA speakers, but I have yet to hear any modeler through "FRFR" speakers compare to a real 4x12.

Are you talking something that would be "flat" without using a tweeter? Like w/ a Celestion fx12 or the like? Not sure if you've priced trad cabs lately but by the time you add a "quality* Poweramp with sufficient watts . . . you aren't so far out of reach of the Friedman stuff. Certainly at or above the price of the QSC K.2/Yamaha DXR stuff.

Trad cabs and quality poweramps are more expensive than plastic molded cabs and cheap 1000 watt amps.

Are you talking something that would be "flat" without using a tweeter? Like w/ a Celestion fx12 or the like? Not sure if you've priced trad cabs lately but by the time you add a "quality* Poweramp with sufficient watts . . . you aren't so far out of reach of the Friedman stuff. Certainly at or above the price of the QSC K.2/Yamaha DXR stuff.

Trad cabs and quality poweramps are more expensive than plastic molded cabs and cheap 1000 watt amps.
Ahh yes this is the Issue I do have a budget so trad cab and Power amps Like SD are way out of my budget especially since I run Stereo
Think will stick to PA style speakers

I love my Friedman ASC-10!!

Lightweight, looks like a cab, loud, and sounds great - very cab like.

Yes for Sure Love Freidman but that would set me back $3,000 CDN with Quebec Taxes included
way out of my budget :cry:

If only I had $1 for every time I saw someone with no EQ pedal pulling their hair out trying to get that extra sauce out of a tube amp. Its eye opening how much you can further refine a amps sound that way. Just as a general recommendation.... get a MXR 10 band and toss it in the loop before effects, your on your way.

Watch that 4k slider... different pups might need a tweek.

Attachments

• mxr1.jpg
    mxr1.jpg
    512.2 KB · Views: 17
I think as the tools get more complex, and there's more options, it's a lot easier to get a bad tone. Even without modelers.

If you went back in time to 1970 and got an old Les Paul and a 100 watt Marshall, it's not going to take a lot of effort to get a kick ass rock and roll tone. There just weren't as many options and places for things to go wrong. There's bass, middle, treble, presence, and volume.

When I was gigging in the 2000's, the dream setup for many guitarists was a Mesa Dual Rectifier. That's an easy amp to dial in poorly. Crank up the bass and treble, scoop the mids, use too much gain, and don't use any kind of boost to tighten the low end. It's going to sound like complete ass, which is what most of the bands I played with sounded like. Or more common was to use a Metal Zone into a solid state amp (hey I had a setup like that), which is again super easy to sound terrible.

Now when you let guitarists dial in terrible sounds virtually then add the complexity of cab/mic modeling on top of controlling the playback system, it can quickly become a disaster.

100%

If you went back in time to 1970 and got an old Les Paul and a 100 watt Marshall, it's not going to take a lot of effort to get a kick ass rock and roll tone.

Was it really kick ass or it is how we like to remember it? :D
They got A sound and that sound is all they got, many times it wast nasty in a bad way, but that's how we learned to love it.

And don't forget the 60s which was garbage for guitar tone, yes, Zeppelin, Beatles, Stones, you name it, 60s guitar tone was shit.

Was it really kick ass or it is how we like to remember it? :D

I think tone cork sniffing, for the average player, wasn’t really a thing until fairly recently. I mean certainly we all had preferences and knew good tone when we heard it, but I don’t recall ever having the levels of debate over the most trivial aspects of tone/gear growing up. You bought the best strat/LP + Marshall/Fender/Peavey amp you could afford and just got on with it.

I think tone cork sniffing, for the average player, wasn’t really a thing until fairly recently. I mean certainly we all had preferences and knew good tone when we heard it, but I don’t recall ever having the levels of debate over the most trivial aspects of tone/gear growing up. You bought the best strat/LP + Marshall/Fender/Peavey amp you could afford and just got on with it.

I try to still have that same mental approach..... because music.
I never got into playing to debate the minutiae and get bogged
down in things that detract from the pure enjoyment of playing.

Doesn't mean I don't like gear and don't want to sound good, just
that I have seen/felt the paralysis of overanalysis way too much to want
anything to do with it.

Back