Minor keys - do they really exist?

I'm not at home so I can't dig around in my old text books but this is a good start...

Well, the dorian scale mentioned there hasn't got anything to do with dorian as we know it. And from all I know, the naming got somewhat mixed up with phrygian (german wiki about the dorian mode mentions that as well).

Alternatively you could take my word for it, since I had gigs as Professor at University level teaching this stuff

That's what's called "argumentum ad verecundiam".

Well, the dorian scale mentioned there hasn't got anything to do with dorian as we know it. And from all I know, the naming got somewhat mixed up with phrygian (german wiki about the dorian mode mentions that as well).

That's what's called "argumentum ad verecundiam".
It would be if I hadn't actually given a source.

And seemingly the smiley after the sentence lost it's meaning that something is said in jest.

Now that said, an argument from authority is indeed BS if it comes from one who didn't go down that academic rabbit hole.
In this case, not so much.

No rabbithole to me, I make use of modal, transitional and plain tonal techniques, especially regarding polyphony and voiceleading, which is more fundamental to our music than chordal harmonies as such. We blend folk music, classical music and electronic music, and it could not take this form without theoretical knowledge. Thus, the things I know in detail regards this usage, I tend to forget theory for the sake of theory and need to wiki it to rehearse it.

No rabbithole to me, I make use of modal, transitional and plain tonal techniques, especially regarding polyphony and voiceleading, which is more fundamental to our music than chordal harmonies as such. We blend folk music, classical music and electronic music, and it could not take this form without theoretical knowledge. Thus, the things I know in detail regards this usage, I tend to forget theory for the sake of theory and need to wiki it to rehearse it.
Now that peaked my interest. I'd love to listen to it.
got any music you wanna share?

Now that peaked my interest. I'd love to listen to it.
got any music you wanna share?
Oh, cool. I’d love to. So now we are at let us take some modal stuff that turns tonal at end measures. We start in phrygian but then it goes mixolydian. In mixolydian the verse makes use of a major dominant every fourth measure instead of the minor given by the mode, thus an alteration on the fly.

Apart from that we have released two albums. You can stream them from soundcloud. Search Tribe of Hofund.
Kindly Gothi

Oh, cool. I’d love to. So now we are at let us take some modal stuff that turns tonal at end measures. We start in phrygian but then it goes mixolydian. In mixolydian the verse makes use of a major dominant every fourth measure instead of the minor given by the mode, thus an alteration on the fly.

Apart from that we have released two albums. You can stream them from soundcloud. Search Tribe of Hofund.
Kindly Gothi

Digging it.
Actually listen to the album.on SoundCloud now (might want to fix the link here)

Digging it.
Actually listen to the album.on SoundCloud now (might want to fix the link here)
Cool. I cannot insert the link, it gets embedded as if it was a streaming. As far as polyphony goes I can bring attention to this piece where melodies are constantly interacting over a VIi-i progression in a 6 vs 4 polyrhythm. We are in aeolian.

So what did they used to call a BA Mus then?

It's been "ME" (Musikerziehung / Music Education) back then. They had to do it (on most german music universities) that way to sort of trick the system out. BAs back then were only "allowed" for classical music, the only exception being classic and jazz in Hamburg and jazz in Stuttgart (mind you, that was in the early to mid 90s), which allowed for some diploma called "orchestra musician" or something. True BAs were only introduced later on. For me, there was no way I'd go to Stuttgart and Hamburg was pretty classical-heavy, so that wasn't it, either. Hence I went to Hannover and ME has been the only choice (possibly could've moved to Leipzig as well, but Hannover turned out to be a good city for me).
I could've possibly added a real BA degree later on (for an additional year of whatever classes) when they finally introduced it, but I was more into some rock'n'roll life back then, so that was it.
By now, you can even study pop (without any jazz/classic content) for a BA degree over here, but then, the first universities are shutting down their popular music BA facilities already, simply because the future for professionally educated musicians is looking anything but bright (in fact, most folks are studying straight into unemployment). And well, I mean, Germany simply doesn't need 50 top level guitarists (or any other instrument) each and every year. The ones hanging around right now will be sufficient to play all the jobs coming up in the next 20 years.

It's been "ME" (Musikerziehung / Music Education) back then. They had to do it (on most german music universities) that way to sort of trick the system out. BAs back then were only "allowed" for classical music, the only exception being classic and jazz in Hamburg and jazz in Stuttgart (mind you, that was in the early to mid 90s), which allowed for some diploma called "orchestra musician" or something. True BAs were only introduced later on. For me, there was no way I'd go to Stuttgart and Hamburg was pretty classical-heavy, so that wasn't it, either. Hence I went to Hannover and ME has been the only choice (possibly could've moved to Leipzig as well, but Hannover turned out to be a good city for me).
I could've possibly added a real BA degree later on (for an additional year of whatever classes) when they finally introduced it, but I was more into some rock'n'roll life back then, so that was it.
By now, you can even study pop (without any jazz/classic content) for a BA degree over here, but then, the first universities are shutting down their popular music BA facilities already, simply because the future for professionally educated musicians is looking anything but bright (in fact, most folks are studying straight into unemployment). And well, I mean, Germany simply doesn't need 50 top level guitarists (or any other instrument) each and every year. The ones hanging around right now will be sufficient to play all the jobs coming up in the next 20 years.
I hear ya.

Very much the reason why when SoCal became kinda lame by 2010 istartedspending half my te there the other half in India.

Where there is actually mad money in both music (movie soundtrack sessions) and music education.

Back