Luminite Graviton M1 MIDI Controller

Hi Luminite,

You guys have created an awesome range of pedals!

I have a question about functionality and a potential future feature request. I don't think this feature exists yet (correct me if I’m wrong! 😅), so it's a new concept I believe.

The M2 pedal has 6 foot switches. Let's call each foot switch a “mode”.

Here's how it would work:
  1. When you press and hold a foot switch mode.
  2. You can then navigate through options using the XY controller (X1, X2, X3, X4, Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4).
  3. The screen will show the available options and the current selection.
  4. The selection is ONLY confirmed when you release the foot switch.
  5. Neutral position is needed as a way to abort the mode without making a selection.
  6. Since X and Y switches are independent, you might also need to block X if Y is being rotated (ie x5 and y5 position) and vice versa, to ensure only one selection is made within the mode.
For the user interface:
  • On pressing a foot switch, the XY options in that mode are displayed.
  • As you navigate with the XY controller, the current selection is shown.
  • When you release the foot switch, the last selection should be confirmed and displayed for a second or two for visual confirmation.
  • The UI shows the function of each foot switch when no foot switches are pressed, as a visual reminder of what each switch does.
With 6 modes and 8 x XY options per mode (forgetting neutral), you would have 48 options accessible with a foot press and a controller click. If you had 2 x XY controllers, you could have 6 modes and 16 XY options, totalling 96 options! Etc.

I hope this makes sense! I know you’re busy guys, but something to think about 😀
Correct me if I've missed something, but I think what you are asking for could be done by e.g adding shortcuts to show a particular bank of presets and adding options for the XY control to act like a cursor instead of directly selecting a preset?

Correct me if I've missed something, but I think what you are asking for could be done by e.g adding shortcuts to show a particular bank of presets and adding options for the XY control to act like a cursor instead of directly selecting a preset?
Correct... essentially a shortcut, but the shortcut is via the foot pedals (press and hold while the selection is made).. so it's hands free selecting the "mode", but hands on choosing the option via XY. For me, this would be awesome for live performance as a guitarist... I would use it to select guitar tone with one mode, song tempo with another, synth tones with another, dymanics etc. So many options at play, with only 6 foot switches and as many XY's as you need. Anyone else think this could be a cool/useful as an idea for your own use case?

Ok. This thread is long AF!

I have the M2, EC and XY inbound.

I am in 4 tributes now and all but 1 require me to move around quite a bit on stage.

The idea of running back to my pedalboard to hit a lead boost or some such f*ckery is just unacceptable. The mountable controllers for patch changes seems like a dream come true so I’m super excited for that.

However. Im also a MIDIot…

Stick with it. I'm not super experienced with MIDI but its fairly simple and easy to learn and definitely worth it. I love my X-Y on my strap so no matter which guitar I'm playing, I always have the X-Y nearby.
Graydon

Stick with it. I'm not super experienced with MIDI but its fairly simple and easy to learn and definitely worth it. I love my X-Y on my strap so no matter which guitar I'm playing, I always have the X-Y nearby.
Graydon
Oh nice! It sticks to your strap ok? I’m really excited about this rig. It’ll be here today.

Yes it does! Its been there for a couple weeks now and it is still sticking really well. This is with two of the recommended sticky pads from Amazon which may be different from the ones supplied by Luminite. They seem pretty similar though. This is what I'm using... Amazon double sided sticky pads

IMG_9763.JPG
[/MEDIA]

Graviton M1 / M2 Software Update 4.4.1 (Beta)

• New Feature: Analog Tap Clock output for every Relay Port / TRS Jack (Tip/Ring), globally or per-preset.
  • Global Clock BPM: Now with selectable MIDI, Analog or MIDI + Analog output mode.
  • Improved: Endless preset scrolling in Setlist Mode (automatically jump to the next Song and Setlist)
How to Update / Rollback:
  • Go to Settings > Update / Rollback > Follow the on-screen instructions.
  • You can switch between Beta and the last Stable Release anytime without loosing programmed data.
  • It's recommended to stay on the Stable Release for gigging.

Enjoy and please report bugs here

Last edited:
Correct... essentially a shortcut, but the shortcut is via the foot pedals (press and hold while the selection is made).. so it's hands free selecting the "mode", but hands on choosing the option via XY. For me, this would be awesome for live performance as a guitarist... I would use it to select guitar tone with one mode, song tempo with another, synth tones with another, dymanics etc. So many options at play, with only 6 foot switches and as many XY's as you need. Anyone else think this could be a cool/useful as an idea for your own use case?

Cool idea thanks ! You can kinda do the same thing by:
  • Setup: Assign a footswitch Press (or Hold) > Bank A, Release > Bank B. Assign XY buttons to Bank Presets.
  • Result: Bank A will only show up while the footswitch is being pressed. Then use the XY to select a preset in Bank A, then release to footswitch to go back to bank B.
PS: This can work while showing the XY screen only. Switching back and forth between the footswitch and the XY screen automatically like you described will require additional updates.

Last edited:
@Luminite

Found some bugs in 4.4.0:
  • Unit crashed when I tried to add a label to one of my Volante PCs. It works until you press the checkmark button.
  • In MIDI editor:
    1. Add MIDI message.
    2. Select MIDI channel.
    3. Select PC type.
      What happens is that when you select PC, it resets channel back to Channel 1. You have to select type, then channel, not the other way around.
  • If you use the "Chain preset" feature and the label of the preset is long, it shows up weirdly. E.g I had a preset called "Vintage Drive" and it shows up like: "Preset <line break> intage Driv" where the "v" is going past the border of the block.
  • Saw a weird one time issue in the message block view where the MIDI message label reads "#ffffff <label> #ffffff <label row 2>". Seems it prints the hex code for the text color. Toggling pages fixed it. Not sure how I got this other than adding a MIDI message.
  • Preset name cannot be edited by clicking anywhere but the center area under the "Preset Name" label. This is most obvious with long preset labels. The area should grow based on the size of the label.
Feature requests:
  • Add a "Move message" command to preset editor. This would work the same as swap presets, except instead of swapping it would just put the message in that spot and move everything that follows by one spot, basically "insert at array index". This way you don't have to spam the "Move left/right" commands to move a command to a specific spot.
  • Put the "Page 1/2" button back on the first page of the preset editor. I think that is used way more than clock/silent/toggle if you have complex presets. I don't think you need the separate page up/down buttons when there cannot be more than 2 pages = 16 messages anyway.
Finally I have a weird issue related to changing my BluGuitar Amp 1 channels using the "chain preset" feature.

I have a preset called "A1 Vintage" which consists of "Ch 1 PC 1 + Ch 1 CC 20 value X". This is basically "turn on Vintage channel, reduce maximum gain to X". I have similar presets for all other channels and this applies to all of them.
  • If I just send e.g Ch 1 PC 1 = set Amp 1 to Vintage channel, that works without issue.
  • Activating "A1 Vintage" preset directly works fine.
But if in another preset, I use "Chain preset -> A1 Vintage" then either the channel doesn't change, or only changes when I activate the preset again. If I replace it with a standard Ch1 PC 1 then it works consistently. I don't know if this is some issue with the Amp 1 MIDI handling or an issue with preset chain handling on the Graviton M1.

In the preset where I use the chain preset function, the A1 Vintage preset is the first set of messages sent. I tried moving it to the end of the messages but no change. I tried adding a 30ms pause after the preset but that didn't help either.

I would like to build presets like "Set this amp channel + prime my Strymon/SA pedals to these presets", then do things like "Add on a drive and delay for solo lead on top of this preset". Preset chaining is perfect for this, but won't work for me if the channel is not reliably changing.

Last edited:
Got the EC controllers today. Thank you @Luminite !

I've only had a brief time testing them, but found a few issues:
    • The website product pages for the M1 and M2 are linking to the old manual versions. I think it would be better to have the Manual button direct to the Support page so you need to maintain only one page.
    • Support page: "Lastest manuals" -> "Latest manuals".
  • In Devices -> EC Controllers:
    • Edit knob inc/dec function. It will show the channel as what seems to be the EC controller assignment. For me it reads "EC:2" for example. If you click it, then it shows the assigned encoder channel and after backing out of the keypad view it shows the correct one.
    • The little EC:2 button at the bottom would open up a non-functional view that looks like the Devices view. It sometimes opens the correct one showing the device configuration.
  • In MIDI Editor:
    • MIDI Message -> Encoder. You can't click on the value to edit. You have to click on the label.
    • With wrap around on:
      • If Show value is enabled, all EC controller functions can become unresponsive after looping around a few times. This doesn't seem to happen with the slider view. To get it working again, you can just click on a MIDI message and back out of the view.
      • Looping the value around can have inconsistent results where the current value varies after looping around several times.
        • If step is 10, and current value is say 124, the next increment step will result in value 6. But if you loop again, the looped around value will be 8, then 0, then 2. It should probably instead do something like "value 124 -> inc by step -> clamp to 127 -> inc by step -> 0 + step" for a more natural behavior, especially with large step values.
Feature request:

Add a function called "Encoder fixed value". Then in the Encoder message inside a preset you could determine what this value is. This would allow you to set the params controlled by the encoder to e.g min, max or halfway by just clicking the encoder button if you assign it to Encoder fixed value.

I tried doing this by abusing the step size and min/max settings. My setup:
Rotate = ch 2 inc/dec
Press = ch 12 inc

But the system does not seem to support something like this preset:

[ Encoder Ch 2, 0-127 step 5 ] [ Encoder Ch 12, 0-127, step 127, wrap around On ] [ MIDI CC x ]

Only Encoder Ch 12 will work in this scenario, and the above wrap around issue comes into play, resulting in the value decreasing on every EC button click.

To make it work with both, it requires cumbersome duplication of the MIDI CC message. If "alter the next MIDI message found" was supported then different controller channels could alter the value in different ways.

Graviton M1 / M2 Software Update 4.4.6 (Beta)

Unit crashed when I tried to add a label to one of my Volante PCs. It works until you press the checkmark button.
Let me know if you can replicate it

In MIDI editor:
  1. Add MIDI message.
  2. Select MIDI channel.
  3. Select PC type.
    What happens is that when you select PC, it resets channel back to Channel 1. You have to select type, then channel, not the other way around.
Fixed

If you use the "Chain preset" feature and the label of the preset is long, it shows up weirdly. E.g I had a preset called "Vintage Drive" and it shows up like: "Preset <line break> intage Driv" where the "v" is going past the border of the block.
Fixed

Saw a weird one time issue in the message block view where the MIDI message label reads "#ffffff <label> #ffffff <label row 2>". Seems it prints the hex code for the text color. Toggling pages fixed it. Not sure how I got this other than adding a MIDI message.
Let me know if you can replicate it

Preset name cannot be edited by clicking anywhere but the center area under the "Preset Name" label. This is most obvious with long preset labels. The area should grow based on the size of the label.
Fixed. I also added more space for longer names.

Feature requests:
  • Add a "Move message" command to preset editor. This would work the same as swap presets, except instead of swapping it would just put the message in that spot and move everything that follows by one spot, basically "insert at array index". This way you don't have to spam the "Move left/right" commands to move a command to a specific spot.
Done ! I added "Move", "Swap" and "Insert" buttons. Moving works across pages too.

Put the "Page 1/2" button back on the first page of the preset editor. I think that is used way more than clock/silent/toggle if you have complex presets. I don't think you need the separate page up/down buttons when there cannot be more than 2 pages = 16 messages anyway.
Done !

Finally I have a weird issue related to changing my BluGuitar Amp 1 channels using the "chain preset" feature.
I'll try fixing this in the next update

• The website product pages for the M1 and M2 are linking to the old manual versions. I think it would be better to have the Manual button direct to the Support page so you need to maintain only one page.
  • Support page: "Lastest manuals" -> "Latest manuals".
Fixed

In Devices -> EC Controllers:
  • Edit knob inc/dec function. It will show the channel as what seems to be the EC controller assignment. For me it reads "EC:2" for example. If you click it, then it shows the assigned encoder channel and after backing out of the keypad view it shows the correct one.
Fixed

• The little EC:2 button at the bottom would open up a non-functional view that looks like the Devices view. It sometimes opens the correct one showing the device configuration.
Fixed (Select EC controller menu)

In MIDI Editor:
  • MIDI Message -> Encoder. You can't click on the value to edit. You have to click on the label.
Fixed

With wrap around on:
  • If Show value is enabled, all EC controller functions can become unresponsive after looping around a few times. This doesn't seem to happen with the slider view. To get it working again, you can just click on a MIDI message and back out of the view.
  • Looping the value around can have inconsistent results where the current value varies after looping around several times.
    • If step is 10, and current value is say 124, the next increment step will result in value 6. But if you loop again, the looped around value will be 8, then 0, then 2. It should probably instead do something like "value 124 -> inc by step -> clamp to 127 -> inc by step -> 0 + step" for a more natural behavior, especially with large step values.
Done !

Feature request:

Add a function called "Encoder fixed value". Then in the Encoder message inside a preset you could determine what this value is. This would allow you to set the params controlled by the encoder to e.g min, max or halfway by just clicking the encoder button if you assign it to Encoder fixed value.

Rotate = ch 2 inc/dec
Press = ch 12 inc

[ Encoder Ch 2, 0-127 step 5 ] [ Encoder Ch 12, 0-127, step 127, wrap around On ] [ MIDI CC x ]

Only Encoder Ch 12 will work in this scenario, and the above wrap around issue comes into play, resulting in the value decreasing on every EC button click.

To make it work with both, it requires cumbersome duplication of the MIDI CC message. If "alter the next MIDI message found" was supported then different controller channels could alter the value in different ways.
Cool idea ! I'll add these in the next update.

• Unit crashed when I tried to add a label to one of my Volante PCs. It works until you press the checkmark button.
I can replicate this every time, adding a label to any PC or CC for any channel crashes the unit when pressing the checkmark. However, changing an existing label does not do this.

The new move/swap/insert messages functions are great! Thanks!

I can replicate this every time, adding a label to any PC or CC for any channel crashes the unit when pressing the checkmark. However, changing an existing label does not do this.

Hmm, I haven't able to replicate this :unsure: Is there any special character in the label ?

Feature request:

You can also do this by setting the Encoder Min Value = Max Value

Rotate = ch 2 inc/dec
Press = ch 12 inc

You can also do this by using the Encoder + Counter CC pair:

Rotate > Ch 2 Inc/Dec > [ Encoder Ch 2, 0-127 step 5 ] + [Counter CC (any type)] > Changing Value
Push > Ch 12 Inc/Dec > [Encoder Ch 12, 0-127, step 127, wrap around On ] > [Counter (any type)] > Fixed Value

All Counter CC type (with the same Channel and Number) are in sync with each others, change one's value and the rest of them will update to that value too.

Last edited:
Hmm, I haven't able to replicate this :unsure: Is there any special character in the label ?
No special character, was trying to give some simple name like Lead to a PC. This has worked before so no idea what the problem could be. Is it possible I have too many CC/PC labels and adding another one crashes it?

Howdy all, just got my M2 and am using it as the heart of my pedalboard for our Euro tour that starts next week. Here couple of requests I’d love to see, though if these are already possible let me know!

- Ability to modify the “infinite scrolling” for setlists. I don’t want or need it to move to the next setlist, so it would be very useful to turn this setting off. Additionally, it would be great if there was an option to engage this functionality to remain in the same set and simply cycle through that setlist infinitely.
- Ability to move to next song in a setlist without the M2 automatically loading the first preset in that song. I have all of my songs set with the 1st footswitch to load the rhythm tone, but that isn’t necessarily the first tone I use in a song. So, I would love to be able to essentially queue up the next song’s collection of presets and (I have switch 6 on the unit set to advance to the next song) without the unit loading all of the settings/sending the MIDI commands for that rhythm preset.
- Copy and paste a switch/MIDI/etc command from one song into another.
- “Smart delete” of a song from a setlist would then move all other songs up one position rather than leaving a blank preset in the place of the now-deleted one
- “Sticky” caps lock (double tap to “stick” like on a cellphone). I use all caps on some presets because of my less than amazing eyesight and it’s a pain in the butt to re-engage the caps lock for each letter.

The new move/swap/insert messages functions are great! Thanks!

You mind export and send your backup file over ? I can import it back to my unit for debugging.

Howdy all, just got my M2 and am using it as the heart of my pedalboard for our Euro tour that starts next week. Here couple of requests I’d love to see, though if these are already possible let me know!

- Ability to modify the “infinite scrolling” for setlists. I don’t want or need it to move to the next setlist, so it would be very useful to turn this setting off. Additionally, it would be great if there was an option to engage this functionality to remain in the same set and simply cycle through that setlist infinitely.
- Ability to move to next song in a setlist without the M2 automatically loading the first preset in that song. I have all of my songs set with the 1st footswitch to load the rhythm tone, but that isn’t necessarily the first tone I use in a song. So, I would love to be able to essentially queue up the next song’s collection of presets and (I have switch 6 on the unit set to advance to the next song) without the unit loading all of the settings/sending the MIDI commands for that rhythm preset.
- Copy and paste a switch/MIDI/etc command from one song into another.
- “Smart delete” of a song from a setlist would then move all other songs up one position rather than leaving a blank preset in the place of the now-deleted one
- “Sticky” caps lock (double tap to “stick” like on a cellphone). I use all caps on some presets because of my less than amazing eyesight and it’s a pain in the butt to re-engage the caps lock for each letter.

Hi ! All are possible and good ideas. I’ll start adding these in the coming updates

ok... went to the luminitefx website looking for an 'official' forum location, and was directed back here... so I'll ask my question here. ;)

I've been using the Graviton M2 with the XY controller on my guitar for live shows with great success for a few months. I control our entire show with a couple of networked computers - lots of what I use are MIDI messages, but I wondered - is there any plan to support OSC messages being sent from the Graviton? I connect via USB, and if this little guy sent OSC messages, holy buckets would that be grand. :) just curious. thanks for such an awesome product!

Graviton M1 / M2 Software Update 4.4.8 (Beta)

• New Feature: Analog Tap Clock output for every Relay Ports / TRS Jacks (Tip/Ring)
  • Global Clock BPM: Now with selectable MIDI, Analog or MIDI + Analog output mode.
  • New Feature: Settings > Clock > Analog Tap: 4 Taps and Continously
  • New Feature: MIDI Editor: Move / Swap / Insert message blocks.
  • Improved: Eliminate jittery from M2 footswitches and external footswitches connected to the TRS jacks.
  • Improved: Importing / Exporting over WiFi works much more realible now.
  • Improved: Endless scrolling in Setlist Mode (automatically jump to the next Song and Setlist)
  • Improved: Encoder wrap-around algorithm.
  • Fixed: TRS Mode > Switch Out, with correct phase.
  • Fixed: MIDI Tracking update.
  • Numerous UI bug fixes and improvements.
How to Update / Rollback:
  • Go to Settings > Update / Rollback > Follow the on-screen instructions.
  • You can switch between Beta and the last Stable Release anytime without loosing programmed data.
  • It's recommended to stay on the Stable Release for gigging.

Enjoy and please report bugs here
ok... went to the luminitefx website looking for an 'official' forum location, and was directed back here... so I'll ask my question here. ;)

I've been using the Graviton M2 with the XY controller on my guitar for live shows with great success for a few months. I control our entire show with a couple of networked computers - lots of what I use are MIDI messages, but I wondered - is there any plan to support OSC messages being sent from the Graviton? I connect via USB, and if this little guy sent OSC messages, holy buckets would that be grand. :) just curious. thanks for such an awesome product!

Yes sending OSC over USB is possible, and easy to implement. The limiting factor is memory space for storing these messages. I'll have a look at it

Is there any way to use a single preset to cycle between multiple values? I'd like to toggle the Presence switch on my Strymon Riverside between its 3 positions because it's hard to reach on my board. Basically CC value 1 -> 2 -> 3 -> loop back to 1 -> 2 -> 3.

I know I can toggle between two values with the toggling CC.

I feel like I may have asked this before...

Last edited:
Back