Listening tips for non-shred guitar soloing

Doesn't get any more 'non-shred' than...

Edit: And would you believe, there's another video showing, in which somebody's going to explain it for us. :facepalm

Thanks guys and gals for chiming in!
There's a lot to listen to!
I have to admit that Gilmour does not really move me. There's a few artists that I really tried hard to get into (cause they are so great, ya know). Gilmour is one. James Taylor is another one.
Nope.
Not for me.
:sofa

Get Him Out GIF

homer simpson episode 6 GIF

Michelle Megan Hutchings GIF by Blue Ice Pictures

Dont No GIF by LLIMOO

Hi there,
lately I've been re-discovering Norah Jones's "Come away with me" record and the sparse but brilliant guitar playing, on it.
I really dig the solo playing by Adam levy and Kevin Breit.
I want to work on my soloing, and I really dig their sense of space and composition.
What other records and players should I check out?
What are your favorites?
That's a nice album, been a long time since I listened to it.
Try some Chris Isaak if you haven't already? "Heart Shaped World" and "San Francisco Days" are good starters.
Mark Knopfler or Dire Straits albums?
Jeff Beck -- Blow By Blow and Wired.

If I had to choose one and only one favorite solo, it could be Hacket's Firth Of Fifth

In case you haven't heard it, do not miss this, and all Hacket's solo work:

What could be more fun in this world than punching a Taurus Pedal on the floor? 😃

Last edited:
Forgot about Steve! One of the best for sure at building up beautiful solos that always perfectly fit the mood of the song.
Easter is probably my favorite by him.

@DrewJD82 you know Marillion? Steve's definitely from the Gilmour school.

Hahaha funny, every time I see their name I think of that song. My dad is a big Marillion fan, heard a lot of them growing up but never once felt compelled to listen to them outside of when my dad would listen to them. I know I had a preference for Misplaced Childhood, but that was 30 years ago and I can’t remember the name of a single other album or song.

Hahaha funny, every time I see their name I think of that song. My dad is a big Marillion fan, heard a lot of them growing up but never once felt compelled to listen to them outside of when my dad would listen to them. I know I had a preference for Misplaced Childhood, but that was 30 years ago and I can’t remember the name of a single other album or song.
Listen to the song Gaza

If I’m going to listen to Marillion at this point, I’m gonna do it with a bong sitting in front of me because that’s about the only way I can even tolerate that stuff long enough to listen to find some enjoyment in it. :rofl

But which Marillion? When the original lead singer Fish left and was replaced with Steve Hogarth the band morphed quite a bit. I don't like the Fish years cause he was trying way too hard to be Peter Gabriel, and the band, Genesis. With Hogarth the music got less derivative.

But if you're already burned out on a song like Easter there's no use trying again.

Last edited:
You heard Transatlantic? That 25% Marillion so it'd count in my book. :rofl

20% live cause they tour with Daniel Gildenlöw from Pain of Salvation.

I find it interesting to trace connections between bands. Like when I first learned that John Sykes had played with Thin Lizzie.

So..., Portnoy in Transatlantic, Dream Theater, with Jordan Rudess, who used to be in Dixie Dregs, with Steve Morse, who played for Deep Purple at one time, who used to have this guy named Richie Blackmore on guitar....... Kinda cool.

Sometimes I'll take 2 bands that I would initially think its impossible to find a link, say, Duran Duran and Rush, and see if I can connect them. But only via the musicians. Iow, without having to look to the producers or engineers.

Although trying to find a link with any members of Rush is hard to do, since they mostly only played with each other. Lifeson did a solo on a Porcupine Tree song, and Ged played with Yes (who had many different members over the years) at their RnR HOF induction, and DD spun off to form The Power Station with Tony Thompson and Robert Palmer, so if I went down those paths, I might be able to connect them.

You heard Transatlantic? That 25% Marillion so it'd count in my book. :rofl

20% live cause they tour with Daniel Gildenlöw from Pain of Salvation.

If Portnoy’s played on it, I’ve heard it.

Still don’t like Marillion. Or Translantic, for the same reasons I don’t like Marillion, or Yes, or Spock’s Beard or really any prog that doesn’t have any metal in it. Rush is as close as I get to that stuff.

At 0:31 in the above video - what is this amp?
Daniel is from Europe so maybe something from there?

1704388749004.png

Still don’t like Marillion. Or Translantic, for the same reasons I don’t like Marillion, or Yes, or Spock’s Beard or really any prog that doesn’t have any metal in it.

Since they came up, how about Pain of Salvation? Definitely metal with hints of prog.

Since they came up, how about Pain of Salvation? Definitely metal with hints of prog.

Little too theatre-kid for me, which is pretty much my gripe with the non-metal prog. They’re one of the bands I checked out year after year hoping to get into them, just like Opeth, but it never happened and I gave up.

Back