Is it ethical for one pro guitar player to exactly copy the style of a successful pro guitar player?

All those kids at New England Conservatory learning how to play the same classical stuff, just harming themselves every day when they wake up to head into the practice room.......

I'm happy Pat Metheny had the goal he had. Other people are more than free to have their own goals and/or ideas about what is a worthwhile to spend their time on the planet.
Playing the same material is not the same as trying to sound exactly like another artist.

All those kids at New England Conservatory learning how to play the same classical stuff, just harming themselves every day when they wake up to head into the practice room.......

I'm happy Pat Metheny had the goal he had. Other people are more than free to have their own goals and/or ideas about what is a worthwhile to spend their time on the planet.
A fair and interesting point.

Also: what of the tribute acts? Where mimicry is nearly essential to be successful? Think something like a Pink Floyd Experience of a Beatles tribute like Rain. By design, they want to play as near to their chosen artists as possible.

Hard to paint the world with a broad brush, that's for certain.

I really, really appreciate how John Petrucci plays guitar. There are many aspects of what he does, that I'd love to be able to do: Play very articulately, create wonderful, haunting even, melodies within a certain chord structure, and just fucking blaze when he wants to.

If I had ever gotten serious about creating my own music, he'd be where I would start. But then I'd also want to take all my other influences, mix them up, while also mixing in things of my own doing, and be able to come up with a unique-enough style of my own, that when someone heard me, they'd know it was me.

Put me in the camp of, "Why would anyone strive to sound exactly like another guitarist?"

Edit: Unless you're in a tribute band, like iaresee said.

Put me in the camp of, "Why would anyone strive to sound exactly like another guitarist?"
This. I heard a very technically capable guitar player play that single string triplet run that Al DiMeola does up and down a single string and I though WTF, is nothing valued like another person's creativity?
Other people are more than free to have their own goals and/or ideas about what is a worthwhile to spend their time on the planet.
I guess you're free to violate someone else's copyright or publishing rights but there can be legal consequences.

Are you OK with every musical composition and creative writing piece to be fed into AI and what comes out be sold as original work?

How about recording AI generated solo styles of various artists placed in your commercial product, like an AI generated Pat Metheny solo over an advertising jingle to sell soap? It'd be like, hey I didn't know Pat Metheny endorsed "pits be clean" soap products"?

What's the difference between you a human copying another person's style for a commercial product and AI doing it?

Last edited:
I guess you're free to violate someone else's copyright or publishing rights but there can be legal consequences.

Are you OK with every musical composition and creative writing piece to be fed into AI and what comes out be sold as original work?

How about recording AI generated solo styles of various artists placed in your commercial product, like an AI generated Pat Metheny solo over an advertising jingle to sell soap? It'd be like, hey I didn't know Pat Metheny endorsed "pits be clean" soap products"?

What's the difference between you a human copying another person's style for a commercial product and AI doing it?
Spending time to do what you want vs making a commercial operation out of it are completely 2 different things when it comes to copying someone else's style. I think we all can agree that commercializing something as your own when it's not, is not the most ethical way to do business. Problem is, not everyone is ethical.

It sounds like you are just wanting to be argumentative and push onto others what you think is best. Plus all those examples you mention above are extreme exaggerations meant to provide support for your point of view - Hyperbole in the least and straw man fallacy at the other extreme. Neither one being best to support or argue a point of view you really care about, but I guess that is why you called yourself Trollbait.

Western music is made up of 12 notes, odds are very few are playing anything original. Most musicians say they have borrowed/taken from someone else to get their sound. IMHO, until you are good enough to really play, different length of time for everyone, usually all you are doing is copying others before you.

This. I heard a very technically capable guitar player play that single string triplet run that Al DiMeola does up and down a single string and I though WTF, is nothing valued like another person's creativity?

Trollbait’s gonna trollbait

8cofy6.jpg

It sounds like you are just wanting to be argumentative and push onto others what you think is best. Plus all those examples you mention above are extreme exaggerations meant to provide support for your point of view - Hyperbole in the least and straw man fallacy at the other extreme.
Nope, you are doing this and arguing against the straw man that you have built.
but I guess that is why you called yourself Trollbait.
Nope. I already explained why I chose that name.
usually all you are doing is copying others before you.

I'm not talking about using other people as an influence to develop your own style. Of course everyone does that it's how we learn, everything.

I'm talking about exactly copying a musicians distinct style, note phrasing, fretboard technique etc, and passing it off as your own.

AI will be able to do this to perfection. Is that okay?

Is it okay when a human does it?

Back