Listening tips for non-shred guitar soloing

If I’m going to listen to Marillion at this point, I’m gonna do it with a bong sitting in front of me because that’s about the only way I can even tolerate that stuff long enough to listen to find some enjoyment in it. :rofl
They did have some great, memorable melodies.

At 0:31 in the above video - what is this amp?
Daniel is from Europe so maybe something from there?
I think it's probably a Laboga:

AD5200-50W.jpg

I find it interesting to trace connections between bands. Like when I first learned that John Sykes had played with Thin Lizzie.

So..., Portnoy in Transatlantic, Dream Theater, with Jordan Rudess, who used to be in Dixie Dregs, with Steve Morse, who played for Deep Purple at one time, who used to have this guy named Richie Blackmore on guitar....... Kinda cool.
I was into this in my late teens and early 20s. I had a yellow legal pad where I kept track of stuff. :)

Take bands like Sabbath, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Deep Purple - there are tons of connections!

I was into this in my late teens and early 20s. I had a yellow legal pad where I kept track of stuff. :)

Take bands like Sabbath, Rainbow, Whitesnake, Deep Purple - there are tons of connections!

I like the real old ones. Like Tony Iommi was in Jethro Tull prior to Sabbath, or that E.L.P. was almost H.E.L.P.

Now THAT would have been a show - assuming Jimi lives in that alternate universe.

1704764930256.jpeg
hqdefault.jpg

I like the real old ones. Like Tony Iommi was in Jethro Tull prior to Sabbath
If my memory is correct, he auditioned and I think was hired, but was never actually part of the band...

But the guys I'm thinking of also aren't necessarily the super well known names. Guys like Cozy Powell, Neil Murray, etc...

Exploring Norah Jones's "Come Away with Me" is a great start! For similar soloing styles with a focus on space and composition, check out albums by Bill Frisell, Pat Metheny, John Scofield, Jim Hall, and Julian Lage. Their unique approaches will provide plenty of inspiration for your soloing journey.

Back