Line 6 Metallurgy

Yes, but Metallurgy is modeled after the NDSP archetype plugins. The current versions of those plugins are nearly indistinguishable from their original versions. My response to the OP is: people who lust after updates with new features are simply not the intended audience for Metallurgy. Those people should be looking at Helix Native.

Demi Lovato Pizza GIF

Yes, but Metallurgy is modeled after the NDSP archetype plugins. The current versions of those plugins are nearly indistinguishable from their original versions. My response to the OP is: people who lust after updates with new features are simply not the intended audience for Metallurgy. Those people should be looking at Helix Native.
I resecptfully disagree. This isn't vendor specific at all. I want to make that very clear.

In the digital audio world the failure to update at all is a failure. Full stop.
There is no explaining it as an "intended audience" issue. That's a redirection, defensive.

No 1.0 product launches as perfect from anyone, ever. Again. I'm not trying to single out any vendor.
I work in software for a living myself. There is a lot of pressure to get 1.0 out of the door b/c of capitalism.

No, not just for bugs, or b/c the rest of the tech ecosystem is ever changing and you have to stay compatible; Until you launch a full 1.0 you don't really hear from your users, to get the product to market fit right.

Metallurgy is good as is, but with a small number of tweaks could be great. The disinterest in doing that is not a "right customer" issue. It may be a revenue issue.

Last edited:
Look at it from Line6”s point of view. The archetype plugins are not a failure. They are very successful. Line6 is simply following that model and that model means the plugins remain virtually unchanged from the initial version for the sake of simplicity. You and I can see room for new features, but that’s not how the archetype model works, so I’m just letting the OP know that new features probably aren’t coming.

I agree they probably aren't coming.

We can't look at it from their view though. We don't work there. As a result, we don't know if they are a failure or not. Never seen per product revenue reports from Yamaha, their parent co.

All we can know is what we see. A digital product being on 1.0.2 as the second anniversary approaches would not be a good sign for any product from any vendor IMHO.

Look at it from Line6”s point of view. The archetype plugins are not a failure. They are very successful. Line6 is simply following that model and that model means the plugins remain virtually unchanged from the initial version for the sake of simplicity. You and I can see room for new features, but that’s not how the archetype model works, so I’m just letting the OP know that new features probably aren’t coming.
what makes NDSP plugins successful?

- good marketing
- official brand licensing/famous guitarist endorsements
- beautiful UI’s

If I was to think of 3 things the Metallurgy line could have done better to compete with NDSP, I wonder what they’d be….

what makes NDSP plugins successful?

- good marketing
- official brand licensing/famous guitarist endorsements
- beautiful UI’s

If I was to think of 3 things the Metallurgy line could have done better to compete with NDSP, I wonder what they’d be….

I agree they could have done a better job of copying the archetype playbook, but the fact is they are copying the archetype playbook. All I'm saying is: that playbook dictates no new features. Whether we technophiles like that strategy or not doesn't enter into it :).

I agree they could have done a better job of copying the archetype playbook, but the fact is they are copying the archetype playbook. All I'm saying is: that playbook dictates no new features. Whether we technophiles like that strategy or not doesn't enter into it :).

TBF, the Neural plugins have added new features, albeit very slowly. Plini X was fairly recent and was fairly substantial.
  • “Transpose”, “Doubler”, and “Live Tuner” global features.
  • Metronome (Standalone app).
  • “Octaver”, “OD/FZ Drive”, “Pre Delay”, and “Chorus” pedals.
  • DI “Blend” knob (Clean Amp).
  • “Low-Pass” and “Hi-Pass” filters (Graphic EQs).
  • “Click-and-Drag” window edges to resize.
  • New Factory Presets.

and amps like the Fortin Cali added new (requested) features after release:

• Artist presets.
  • Graphic EQ.
  • Time Effects section.
  • Extra-Large window size.

But yeah. I think the main point is that Line 6 probably need to tweak a few aspects of Metallurgy's approach to make it sell well. If its selling like crazy, they probably don't need to do anything. But it feels like most people either don't know that it exists, or they don't know why it exists. That's on Line 6 to do something about.

Back