Leon Todd

Hey Leon
Just watching some of the stuff you are doing with Zen
That’s a great channel tons of awesome stuff going on there and your playing is off the charts
Of the amps you played which were your favs top 3 let’s say
For me I think it was the Wizard Modetn a classic that thing is a beast from Extreme to Alice in chains and w the boost and Lp it was fierce I thought even for metal

The old Plexi ruled hard. Nearly everything else was some variation of that sound - Friedman was smoother, Bogner was darker etc.

The Wizard MTL had a character I really bonded with. They have an old AC30 that is the absolute perfect chimey mid gain tone too.

Getting to play EVERY amp I've ever lusted over was such a treat.

Hello Leon between these 2 albums can we attribute that the tone was mostly from change of amps or more post production
Kill em All was raw and you could tell it they James was using JCM800's and Kirk was using 59SLP
but on Ride the Lighting things got really heavier when they both started using Modded by Jose JCM800's
then I believe on MOP they both switched to Boogies (James used a boogie slaved into his trusty old JCM800) and again the tone was much heavier and somewhat less saturated than Ride
wondering how much those amps had the tones from those 3 albums

Cheers

Hello Leon between these 2 albums can we attribute that the tone was mostly from change of amps or more post production
Kill em All was raw and you could tell it they James was using JCM800's and Kirk was using 59SLP
but on Ride the Lighting things got really heavier when they both started using Modded by Jose JCM800's
then I believe on MOP they both switched to Boogies (James used a boogie slaved into his trusty old JCM800) and again the tone was much heavier and somewhat less saturated than Ride
wondering how much those amps had the tones from those 3 albums

Cheers

If ya really want to nerd out on some Metallica gear history- https://www.metallicagearhistory.com/post/album-analysis-kill-em-all

The guy does a deep dive on the Jose Marshall stuff and it's hard to argue with his findings. He doesn't believe they actually had any modded Marshalls until The Black Album. Here's another page from the same site discussing the Jose Marshall they used on TBA-Garage Days. https://www.metallicagearhistory.com/post/gear-spotlight-the-asshole-marshall (might have to correct the word asshole cuz the swear filter)

I think the production had more to do with the shifts in tones; just listen to the differences in drum sounds between the two albums. Jump between "The Four Horsemen" and "Creeping Death" and listen to just the drums, huge difference and similar changes from KEA to RTL; they started scooping the mids out and getting a more focused, tight sound on RTL, on all the instruments. I'm curious how much of this was Metallica wanting to head in that territory and how much was Flemming deciding what would work for the music the best. Production was certainly a big thing in their minds as time went on, but they were still pretty green around RTL, in regards to recording. Regardless, we got some badass albums out of it all!

Which delay do you like best? H3500 or 2290 or lexi?

For percussive rhythmic delay, panning lead delays, chorus and overall "wow" factor the 2290 is the one. However for analog style delays (that is to say, delays with lots of high cut), dual delays and of course the Michael Thompson pitched delays the H3500 is hard to beat.

The Lex stuff I've tried is excellent but I've not played through a PCM42 or PCM70 yet so I feel a bit unqualified to pass judgement there.

One delay that I absolute LOVE that has a similar "wow" factor to the 2290 is the Spiral Delay algorithm in the Sony DPS-M7. It's like a circular delay and 2290 had a baby! I'm always searching for hidden gems like that.

It's probably a very slight win to the 2290 as a pure delay, and a very slight win to the H3500 if other elements are factored in.

I'm grateful i can cop all of this stuff with the Fractal though! Long live greasy delay tones :D

When I think of a Boogie Mark series I think of that MOP tone. The earlier albums sound like the NWOBHM Marshall tone but MOP really is a landmark for scooped, tight high gain being considered "metal".
You would be surprised how many guys used Marks over the years. Chevelle used Mark IVs, LOG used Mark IVs and Vs, Faith No More toured with Mark IIIs, heck even Danny Spitz from Anthrax used one. They were/are everywhere on all kinds of recordings, as they should be.

I'm honestly surprised the JP2C hasn't appeared on more recordings by players other than JP, as it's an impressive Mark amp as well.

You would be surprised how many guys used Marks over the years. Chevelle used Mark IVs, LOG used Mark IVs and Vs, Faith No More toured with Mark IIIs, heck even Danny Spitz from Anthrax used one. They were/are everywhere on all kinds of recordings, as they should be.

I'm honestly surprised the JP2C hasn't appeared on more recordings by players other than JP, as it's an impressive Mark amp as well.
And The Offspring I think used a mark IV as well

The Offspring using something is pretty much an anti-recommendation
More so trying to show it's diversity in use but you aren't wrong

819 GIF

Leon ,one thing I would like to see if an episode on control switches and setting them up momentary
Things like the EVH flanger that you hold the switch to get the sweep and then release to turn it off
Maybe a few of these switches
One you hold to do like
a slicer/kill switch
The EVH flanger
A harmony lead so you could have it just on just certain notes or bends and release

Have you ever dabbled with this function and would it work ?

One thing I have NEVER seen in any FM videos is configuring any sort of meaningful footswitching on the device itself.

There is probably a reason for that :oops: :brick :cuss:rofl

One thing I have NEVER seen in any FM videos is configuring any sort of meaningful footswitching on the device itself.

There is probably a reason for that :oops: :brick :cuss:rofl
The one thing I will say about this is the latest series Gift 🎁 of Tone
Not only has cool presets BUT being able to see the routing and how the modifiers are configured is helpful in understanding what is going on in the preset
Some of these guys do such crazy advanced tricks like Moke for instance allowing you to have a whammy and shifter both pre and post on the FM series
The tricky part 1) you only have the one pitch block and 2) it isn’t moveable yet Moke preset allows you to accomplish what on the surface looks impossible

Back