Learning Piano/Keys. Something I have wanted to do for ages

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I am finally getting around to taking proper lessons on keys/piano Mostly because I am sick of not having a keyboard player to jam with or as a band member. I do not read music and have relied on chord charts and tab as far as things on screen or paper. I do understand guitar theory well enough. I figure this is a good way to kill 2 birds with one stone. Learn piano and how to read sheet music while I'm doing it. It also doesn't hurt that I would be almost indispensable. All the notable (worth hiring) keys players out here have to turn work down because there's way more demand than supply. Even if you ae just providing chords.

I'm pretty psyched. My first lesson is tonight.

I bought a used Casio Privia 200 somethingorother years ago for $200 and I'm amazed at how good that thing feels. It doesn't sound great, but I use it as a MIDI controller with Modart's Pianoteq and other piano VSTs and those sound amazing. I'm more into synths than actual piano though so I did end up getting a Hydrasynth Explorer that I can pair up with a nice futar-keybed Native Instruments 61 key MIDI controller and that is a ton of fun. I've really enjoyed experimenting and diving deeper into harmony with it. I find harmony a lot easier to experiment with on a keyboard vs. guitar due to the layout.

I bought a used Casio Privia 200 somethingorother years ago for $200 and I'm amazed at how good that thing feels. It doesn't sound great, but I use it as a MIDI controller with Modart's Pianoteq and other piano VSTs and those sound amazing. I'm more into synths than actual piano though so I did end up getting a Hydrasynth Explorer that I can pair up with a nice futar-keybed Native Instruments 61 key MIDI controller and that is a ton of fun. I've really enjoyed experimenting and diving deeper into harmony with it. I find harmony a lot easier to experiment with on a keyboard vs. guitar due to the layout.

Yeah this one is capable of being a MIDI controller via USB. I have plenty of VSTi's for that stuff when I am ready.

Awesome. I'm just at the beginning at my keys journey myself and I'm having so much fun with it. I got a Roland FP10 electric piano which I also use as a midi controller. And I got a Sequential Take 5 for analog shenanigans.

Keys are great

My parents made me take years of piano lessons before I was allowed to play guitar (age 6-14)

I’m glad they did, certainly laid a foundation but I’ve definitely forgotten most of it lol.

Keys wise I mostly like fucking around with weird sounds on my minilogue

My band is a 3 piece and for a while we were considering trying to add keys but we realized the triangle is the strongest shape and eventually we’ll be implementing myself on synth and bass player on “normal keys” when the song/jam calls for it

giphy.webp

Back