Kyle Bull

KyleBull

Groupie
Gear Pro
Hey all!
New forum member here. Name is Kyle. I'm an amp and cab/speaker nut/collector and have frequented other forums for over 10 years now. I also have a YouTube channel primarialy focusing on high gain thrash/hardcore tones and amp/pedal showcase type videos.

A litlle while back, someone had asked me if I'd like to participate in an Ask Me Anything thread on this forum. I feel like a dick because I had actually agreed to it and then forgotten about it and couldn't remember the forum.....I finally figured out that it was this forum. If you guys are interested, would definitely still love to have the opportunity to do so! If not, no worries.

Happy to have found another forum that hopefully isn't loaded down with holier-than-thou types or people constantly starting pointless arguments for their own entertainment :rofl

Hey all!
New forum member here. Name is Kyle. I'm an amp and cab/speaker nut/collector and have frequented other forums for over 10 years now. I also have a YouTube channel primarialy focusing on high gain thrash/hardcore tones and amp/pedal showcase type videos.

A litlle while back, someone had asked me if I'd like to participate in an Ask Me Anything thread on this forum. I feel like a dick because I had actually agreed to it and then forgotten about it and couldn't remember the forum.....I finally figured out that it was this forum. If you guys are interested, would definitely still love to have the opportunity to do so! If not, no worries.

Happy to have found another forum that hopefully isn't loaded down with holier-than-thou types or people constantly starting pointless arguments for their own entertainment :rofl
Dig your channel dude! Welcome

Kyle, thanks for taking us up on the invite and welcome to the forum!

For anyone unaware of Kyles YT channel, do yourself a favor and check it out:

I’ll start it off. What are the most underrated and overrated amps you’ve tried since starting the high gain amp journey?

Kyle, thanks for taking us up on the invite and welcome to the forum!

For anyone unaware of Kyles YT channel, do yourself a favor and check it out:

I’ll start it off. What are the most underrated and overrated amps you’ve tried since starting the high gain amp journey?

thanks for the invite, and I'm excited to be here!

As far as overrated amps..... the first couple that come to my mind would be the Diezel VH4 and the Bogner Uberschall. For years before I got my hands on them, I saw people constantly referring to them as the top echelon of brutal high gain amps. When I finally got my hands on them.... I was disappointed to say the least. Don't get me wrong, they're great amps in their own right, but they were just not the brutal gain machines the internet made them out to be. I've come to realize that most people who build up these boutique high dollar amps have actually never laid hands or ears on them in real life. Go figure.

Underrated amps? Honestly Fluff and I have recently been talking about the 900 HGDR being much better than given credit for. Hated in it's time and I understand why, but overall, I think it's a perfectly serviceable amp that can sound really great with the right cab/speaker and tone shaping front end pedal choices! Second choice would be the Jet City amps, in particular the JCA100HDM. Truly a great amp at any price point, and again, the right cab and speaker can really bring this thing to life for your Soldano tones on a crazy tight budget

Last edited:
thanks for the invite, and I'm excited to be here!

As far as overrated amps..... the first couple that come to my mind would be the Diezel VH4 and the Bogner Uberschall. For years before I got my hands on them, I saw people constantly referring to them as the top echelon of brutal high gain amps. Whe. I finally got my hands on them.... I was disappointed to say the least. Don't get me wrong, they're great amps in their own right, but they were just not the brutal gain machines the internet made them out to be. I've come to realize that most people who build up these boutique high dollar amps have actually never laid bands or ears on them in real life. Go figure.

Underrated amps? Honestly Fluff and I have recently been talking about the 900 HGDR being much better than given credit for. Hated in it's time and I understand why, but overall, I think it's a perfectly serviceable amp that can sound really great with the right cab/speaker and tone shaping front end pedal choices! Second choice would be the Jett City amps, in particular the JCA100HDM. Truly a great amp at any price point, and again, the right cab and speaker can really bring this thing to life for your Soldano tones on a crazy tight budget

The unobtainium factor no doubt plays into the reputation.

Have you tried a 900 SLX? That seems to be held in high regard from the 900 line.

I love your channel.

I've heard you mention various ailments regarding joints/knees - is that general "I'm getting older bro" pain or did you play contact sport/skate/go too hard in the gym when you were younger?

What a coincidence, just last night I saw your modeler video. Nice to see you ditching stupid tubes, going digital and joining us in 21st century, congrats!

Cool to have you here, Kyle!

My question: I know, you love your Mesa V30 cab. But what if you had to choose a favorite cab with Greenbacks that works really well for high gain belligerence?

Hello and Welcome
to answer you question " Hopefully isn't loaded down with holier-than-thou types or people constantly starting pointless arguments for their own entertainment"
this small place is more about fun and laughs and the sharing of our passion, music and all gear related stuff

Cheers
Mike

The unobtainium factor no doubt plays into the reputation.

Have you tried a 900 SLX? That seems to be held in high regard from the 900 line.
I have! The SLX is the best of the bunch, in my humble opinion. It's just high gain enough that hitting with a boost really tightens it up and adds the right amount of saturation. It's thicker and less shrill than the 900 HGDR with a more typical Marshall mid bark. I personally love them and am currently trying to hunt another down right now, but the prices have gone bananas.

Hey Kyle! Still rocking splawns for live use?

Regardless, how did you first discover splawn??
Man, I gotta say I honestly don't remember how I found them. When I first started getting into gear around 2010, I remember seeing them on craigslist frequently and thinking the name was cool, but not knowing shit about them. The price was also high on them at the time, considering you could still get 5150s for $400, triple xxx for $300 and JCM 800 for $800 LOL

Anyways, years later when I started getting on the modded Marshall train, I bought a Ceriatone Chupacabra, Friedman JJ100 and Splawn Quickrod all within the span of a few weeks. The Friedman turned out to be a massive disapointment (for me), the Chupacabra was really cool but a pain to dial in, and the Splawn just fucking ripped right out of the gate. I loved the raw mids and huge tight low end. I took it to the first practice I had with my new band at the time (Bushido Code) the day after I got it and it just slayed. It's been my go to for that band ever since! Yes, it's still what I use live for that band, but we haven't played a show since our last tour ended almost a year ago, member changeup.

For my band Human Animal which is more of a 90's NYHC style band, I typically either use my Soldano Avenger 100 or Mezzabarba Trinity. That band is a much more loose, punk rock style band and I just love the thickness these amps provide for said style, especially when my other guitarist is using a Rev E Dual Rectifier which has mid bark for days.

I love your channel.

I've heard you mention various ailments regarding joints/knees - is that general "I'm getting older bro" pain or did you play contact sport/skate/go too hard in the gym when you were younger?
Skateboarding when I was younger, which turned into lifting in my 20's. But to be honest I think it's more a combination of being genetically predisposed to joint issues on top of being completely sedentary with a horrible diet for the first 20 years of my life, and then off an on again until my early 30's.

Most people don't know this but I've spent most of my live overweight. My heaviest was around 265. For context, I've been arounf 165 for the last 2 years. Always struggled with diet and exercise. I'm in the best shape of my life at 34, but I still often notice joint aches and pains when I stray from my diet, which is mostly meat, cheese and vegetables.

Cool to have you here, Kyle!

My question: I know, you love your Mesa V30 cab. But what if you had to choose a favorite cab with Greenbacks that works really well for high gain belligerence?
Honestly, I was just playing a 5150 Iconic through a 1960BX cab at sweetwater and it reminded me that I need a 412 fully decked out in greenbacks in my life!

If you're talking a blend of greenbacks and other speakers, the Friedman BE412 is just a monster of a cab. Not sure why it sounds so massive, but it does. It's been my go to choice to add some low end fullness to my Marshalls since I bought it a few years ago.

Funny enough, there is an old front loaded, metal grate Randall cab that comes loaded with Greenbacks. It seems goofy because it looks like it belongs in a death metal band. Not saying Greenbacks can't be "metal" speakers because they certainly can, but they just usually come in more vintage aestheticcally styled cabs.

I have my eyes on an H&K 412 with greenbacks on the used market right now, but I need to sell a cab for space issues. I'm completely overloaded right now

Hello and Welcome
to answer you question " Hopefully isn't loaded down with holier-than-thou types or people constantly starting pointless arguments for their own entertainment"
this small place is more about fun and laughs and the sharing of our passion, music and all gear related stuff

Cheers
Mike
Good! That's all I'm here to do. I have no issues with people disagreeing with my views, tastes, etc. It's when people start slinging shit or throwing thinly veiled insults because they disagree with you that I tend to just bow out. This is guitar gear, not politics.

Good! That's all I'm here to do. I have no issues with people disagreeing with my views, tastes, etc. It's when people start slinging s**t or throwing thinly veiled insults because they disagree with you that I tend to just bow out. This is guitar gear, not politics.
Same here We all like what we like, and I respect everyone's choices & likes no matter what.

Back