Kirk’s response to criticism

Man, I struggle with that sort of fashionable trend even on this Forum. :idk

There's hella cool people here for sure, but the incessant hot takes about what we don't like,
and incessantly bagging on this, that, and the other thing, day after unending day gets a bit
boring and tiresome. Yay, you don't like something. How unique! Now let us hear about it....
over and over, again and again. :brick

I'd personally prefer to spend my time in gratitude, appreciation, and building things up over the
repetitive spite-fest for what I can't stand. That's just me, and I am not always successful at it by a
long ways. I just believe it is far healthier mentally, and second, it is actually going against the current
tide of everyone feeling compelled to rip on this, that, and the other thing as if it is somehow a
benefit to society and their fellow man.
giphy.gif

:wat

blows my mind that dudes like Kirk have been playing massive gigs, stadiums and huge festivals most of the year (and the rest of the time with few other obligations that don't involve playing guitar in some way or other) for the best part of 40 years and sound like that.

That’s what forty years of Metallica riffs will do to ya.

That’s what forty years of Metallica riffs will do to ya.
I mean...... you can see what James did all the rhythm guitar work. I cant say I've really listened to Metallica at all since being a teenager, but I'd imagine if I was playing Metallica riffs all day, my technique would be alright after 30/40 years.

That whole thing of "my songs aren't right for metallica" is another sign of the band not putting things bluntly enough to him, if he was writing great songs I dont think they'd really care what they sounded like.

There's also an old video where Bob Rock calls him out in the studio because he sounds dreadfully unprepared and out of his depth, and rather than react positively and staring the truth in the face, he just takes the cowards way out and acts like a baby.

I have no beef with Kirk and was never too heavy into him anyways. I've not even watched the OP vid.
Last Metallica album I played the heck out of was the Black album, but respect that those guys are still doing their thing after so many years.

There's also an old video where Bob Rock calls him out in the studio because he sounds dreadfully unprepared and out of his depth, and rather than react positively and staring the truth in the face, he just takes the cowards way out and acts like a baby.

Eh, first part’s right, but that specific bit was around the solo for “The Unforgiven” and I think what was going on was Kirk had an idea in his head he wasn’t delivering in the playing, Bob wasn’t understanding the idea and what ultimately came out of that tension was a pretty killer solo.

I like Kirk and his playing up till the Black album
PS so does Satch

Problem with Metallica was Bob Rock and them Going from a band to a brand

but i have my top albums always on rotation

:guiness

And I’ll take this Kirk solo over every other solo in a Metallica song.
(Tme stamped)

That part where he drags the slide down starting above the pickups is fucking SICK. It’s going off the rails exactly fitting the context of the lyrics, I love every note and noise out of that solo.

And I think Kirk stayed there in Load land when he started improvising. I love improvising solos, when they work and you can actually keep the take because you didn’t fuck up half he notes it’s one of the coolest parts of being a guitar player for me and in that sense, I can totally get why Kirk’s taken on the mindset he’s got now, I just wish he’d spend a little more time improvising to hit the gold stuff.

Last edited:
Enter Sandman was instant nightmare fuel for me when it came out :barf:rofl

The best I can do is try to imagine what it was like going from AJFA to TBA and I can fucking imagine what metalheads over he world were saying. The only point in time reaction videos would have been worth watching was if they were filmed when the those metalheads heard “Nothing Else Matters” for the first time. :rofl

I was a diehard Metallica fan from the day Ride the Lightning came out. Still one of my all-time favorite albums. And, to me, Kirk was a riff master. I didn’t give a crap about his lead playing. His ability to write killer thrash riffs (Bonded by Blood anyone?) was what made him awesome.

By the time they were no longer underground rebels and became mainstream rockstars, I could care less. They walked away from a genre they helped create, but so many killer bands filled that void and took it way further that Metallica didn’t matter anymore.

But, it just makes me laugh whenever I see people ripping him for his lead playing. He was never trying to be Yngwie or Vai, he was a thrash metal pioneer. Ripping him for leads is like ripping on George Lucas cause he didn’t make any good reality TV crime dramas.

What's funny is even when I actually got into Metallica, as in owning more than just the Load album and got all their albums, I was still unaware of the genres in metal, I had no concept of 'thrash metal', so it was just a bunch of awesome Metallica records. It was maybe a year later when I got into Pantera and then had an idea of how metal was broken into camps. Probably trying to figure out what "fucking trend is over" that Phil Anselmo kept talking about. :rofl

Back