Kirk’s response to criticism

Anyone see this walking, talking anal fissure blathering on about it? Even got picked up by guitarworld.com.

YouTubers like this should be launched into space.

Don't like the way he presents things much, but he's actually got plenty of valid points.
Also, Hammet's "defense" in the guitarworld article is pretty much as absurd as it gets. In some aspects, the guy doesn't seem to even have a hint of a clue of what he's talking about.
Fwiw:
I know my modes, Hungarian scales, symmetrical scales, I know all that shit.
I highly doubt that. He (or rather his playing) has never shown any signs of that to be true.

I still stick to what I said in #24, but Hammet is pretty decent in making a clown out of himself, too.

Don't like the way he presents things much, but he's actually got plenty of valid points.
Also, Hammet's "defense" in the guitarworld article is pretty much as absurd as it gets. In some aspects, the guy doesn't seem to even have a hint of a clue of what he's talking about.
Fwiw:

I highly doubt that. He (or rather his playing) has never shown any signs of that to be true.

I still stick to what I said in #24, but Hammet is pretty decent in making a clown out of himself, too.
Hammett's defense was likely done whilst completely high, and struggling to keep composure. Kirk is nearly 60. Kirk is gonna Kirk the Kirk way. Anyone thinking otherwise is just trying to get more clicks on their dumbass YouTube video.

This whole concept of videos responding to other videos, people instantly criticizing other people is literally an episode of Black Mirror. It's really depressing what society has become. There's no need for it, at all. I don't like AC/DC much, I'm pretty underwhelmed with their music as a whole. But I don't upload a video of me reinterpreting an Angus solo using the Harmonic Minor, with pinched harmonics and sweep picking.

This whole concept of videos responding to other videos, people instantly criticizing other people is literally an episode of Black Mirror. It's really depressing what society has become. There's no need for it, at all. I don't like AC/DC much, I'm pretty underwhelmed with their music as a whole. But I don't upload a video of me reinterpreting an Angus solo using the Harmonic Minor, with pinched harmonics and sweep picking.

Man, sometimes I leave my house with my TV/youtube on and by the time I come home my feed is a bunch of jackoff guitartubers who are going for the Fricker thing. The amount of negativity-to clarify here, I‘m not talking about people saying “Not my cup of tea”, I’m talking about the “This sucks, they suck, it sucks, it’s garbage, there’s nothing worth a damn here, this is terrible, there’s no passion”, that kind of negativity. When someone can tell me where another person’s passion lies, I’ll let them pick some lotto numbers for me or something because that’s some pretty deep insight.

Even here, there are threads I’ll open up and see a string of it, sometimes I’ll bust balls about it but more and more I just find myself clicking on another thread. I said this the other day, but I remember when the internet was a much more positive place. Of course there have always been opinions and bickering, but when you needed a computer, internet service and the desire to sit behind a computer to get on the internet, it was a much more enjoyable place. Once cell phones put the internet in the hands of every dolt who felt computers were too much effort, it was a matter of time before the negative bullsh*t picked up.

Those YouTube vids are the culmination of people openly welcoming negativity in their lives. They’re got as much merit as those IRL streamers who do stupid sh*t while livestreaming for clicks, like turning on text to speech in crowded areas so their watchers can type in racist sh*t, or starting fights with people at random in public to stir up drama. I find that sh*t repugnant.

This whole concept of videos responding to other videos

Now we're talking. Or rather: We actually shouldn't be talking. Because, if anything, it's reaction videos driving me mad the most. Even worse in case they're music related. You'll usually get a half-assed replay of the original (usually masked and what not, as to not run into automatic de-monetarization) with plenty of "wow" and "oh" faces and some even more half-assed attempts to explain what was played. The only bigger waste of time is influencers reacting to other influencer's videos.

Last edited:
Now we're talking. Or rather: We actually shouldn't be talking. Because, if anything, it's reaction videos driving me mad the most. Even worse in case they're music related. You'll usually get a half-assed replay of the original (usually masked and what not, as to not run into automatic de-monitarization) with plenty of "wow" and "oh" faces and some even more half-assed attempts to explain what was played. The only bigger waste of time is influencers reacting to other influencer's videos.
Yup. You know why Kirk actually doesn't care? Because A. he's high AF, B. he's rich AF, and C. any jackass YouTuber criticizing MIGHT be ripping shredders who can run circles around him, but instead of putting that talent into writing and recording music, they've instead spent their time being belligerent shitbags on the Internet. They spent all that time doing a video, when they could have been recording an album and putting it on Apple Music/Spotify, which is nearly goddamned free to do these days. So why worry about it? What's the point?

Lars and Kirk both commented on The Howard Stern Show that they are not into the "progressive"
elements present in their early work. I mean, their best work. :farley Part of the reasoning being it was
"too heady" and "difficult" to play. Those are Lars's words directly. :idk

So, in a sense, they want the path of least resistance and to make it a bit easier on themselves when they play live.

Kirk is a legend.... but he wears out those bluesy double stops on this new album like no one will notice. :LOL:

I think they could include some of those elements and it would make their music more interesting. To me.

Lars and Kirk both commented on The Howard Stern Show that they are not into the "progressive"
elements present in their early work. I mean, their best work. :farley Part of the reasoning being it was
"too heady" and "difficult" to play. Those are Lars's words directly. :idk

So, in a sense, they want the path of least resistance and to make it a bit easier on themselves when they play live.

Kirk is a legend.... but he wears out those bluesy double stops on this new album like no one will notice. :LOL:

I think they could include some of those elements and it would make their music more interesting. To me.
Yeah I do agree. But for whatever reason, they keep pushing in this current direction. I do miss the proggier elements.

blows my mind that dudes like Kirk have been playing massive gigs, stadiums and huge festivals most of the year (and the rest of the time with few other obligations that don't involve playing guitar in some way or other) for the best part of 40 years and sound like that.

Well, look up the duo spots he has with Trujillo. No idea why they keep doing that stuff (especially since Trujillo is quite decent), maybe because Hammett is the role model for "anybody can become a famous guitar slinger".

:wat

blows my mind that dudes like Kirk have been playing massive gigs, stadiums and huge festivals most of the year (and the rest of the time with few other obligations that don't involve playing guitar in some way or other) for the best part of 40 years and sound like that.

On a $2 million dollar guitar no less

That certainly could explain a few things :columbo
rick GIF

....people instantly criticizing other people is literally an episode of Black Mirror. It's really depressing what society has become. There's no need for it, at all. I don't like AC/DC much, I'm pretty underwhelmed with their music as a whole. But I don't upload a video of me reinterpreting an Angus solo using the Harmonic Minor, with pinched harmonics and sweep picking.

Man, I struggle with that sort of fashionable trend even on this Forum. :idk

There's hella cool people here for sure, but the incessant hot takes about what we don't like,
and incessantly bagging on this, that, and the other thing, day after unending day gets a bit
boring and tiresome. Yay, you don't like something. How unique! Now let us hear about it....
over and over, again and again. :brick

I'd personally prefer to spend my time in gratitude, appreciation, and building things up over the
repetitive spite-fest for what I can't stand. That's just me, and I am not always successful at it by a
long ways. I just believe it is far healthier mentally, and second, it is actually going against the current
tide of everyone feeling compelled to rip on this, that, and the other thing as if it is somehow a
benefit to society and their fellow man.

:sofa

See Ya Reaction GIF by Travis

Man, I struggle with that sort of fashionable trend even on this Forum. :idk

There's hella cool people here for sure, but the incessant hot takes about what we don't like,
and incessantly bagging on this, that, and the other thing, day after unending day gets a bit
boring and tiresome. Yay, you don't like something. How unique! Now let us hear about it....
over and over, again and again. :brick

I'd personally prefer to spend my time in gratitude, appreciation, and building things up over the
repetitive spite-fest for what I can't stand. That's just me, and I am not always successful at it by a
long ways. I just believe it is far healthier mentally, and second, it is actually going against the current
tide of everyone feeling compelled to rip on this, that, and the other thing as if it is somehow a
benefit to society and their fellow man.

:sofa

See Ya Reaction GIF by Travis
Maybe I shouldn't hate you anymore? :banana :grin :pickle

Back