Kemper Player - 1st [ Paid for ? ] Update coming very soon ?

They didn't tell it'd add 50% on top, though.

Right, on top of the fact it's already more expensive than the competition for the base model.

Look Kemper can do whatever they want. My two cents is that it doesn't make any sense compared to the competition.

Yeah, looking at retail pricing this still doesn’t make sense. $1000 for a device with most of the features of the stage at $1650 but with 1/3 the foot switches and I/O? Talk about :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

Yeah, looking at retail pricing this still doesn’t make sense. $1000 for a device with most of the features of the stage at $1650 but with 1/3 the foot switches and I/O? Talk about :poop::poop::poop::poop::poop:

You can buy a 2nd hand unpowered Toaster for around €700 over here. Add any cheap MIDI controller and you already have a much more capable setup. Which leaves us with the form factor. Yeah, right.

I remember the day Christoph floated the possibility of a paid unlock I figured the price for fully unlocked was going to be around $400. That was based on my perception of what value Kempers have relative to the competition.
I totally understand how someone who doesn’t think Kemper still holds a spot in the upper ranks would think even $200 is too much.
Everyone has legit standing to critique the price. Not everyone needs to agree on it.

As far as this being evidence that Kemper won’t be innovative going forward…that this means no Kemper 2 etc. … If so, so what?
It very well could be Kemper thinks their tech is great for what it does but there is no plan for ‘next generation’ no faster chip that is going to enable higher quality, etc. they might think their method to Profile is already at its peak. I believe Christoph said as much years ago!

Look at how on paper NAM is way more advanced and yet in the studios and on stages where the musicians are paid to create/ perform the difference of that advancement of technology is what? Sounds better? With charts and graphs you can prove it but side by side players are not running to one side or the other. Maybe Kemper is once again on to to something, knowing this is as good as it gets for the foreseeable future.

It could turn out that the Player is the last major change to the Profiler range of product and they are quite content to support what they established as long as the sales support it. That isn’t a terrible thing if that’s the case. The Player was the long requested model that many thought was missing from the market so at least what they offered was a legitimate product, not just a slight variation of the Toaster with a new color scheme and the number 2 stuck on it with a price increase. Some say the Player isn’t a smart buy since a used Stage is nearly the same cost. I literally sold a like new Stage once I got the Player! One man’s useless is another man’s perfect choice.

Fender has been selling Bassman amps for half a century. As long as customers want them Fender isn’t wrong or evil or boring for building them.
Line 6 and Fractal came along, people proclaimed the end of tube amps and Fender waited how long to stick their toes in the water?
Should Fender have dropped tube amp production and jumped in right away with the Turdmaster Pro back then?

Last edited:
This is an update, though. They’re just turning stuff on that the hardware could already do. And it’s not even kind of the same thing as model packs from L6 back in the day. The X3 could still do all of its hardware functions and run a full “load” on the DSP. The is more like you bought a 8GB graphics card for full price and then NVIDIA emailed you to say to an extra $700 they’ll let you use the other 8GB of processing that’s already there.
I just updated my Kemper, it was free as it always is. I haven’t seen Kemper advertise this as an “update”. Only people on guitar forums are calling it an update.

Seems like if you're a kemper enthusiast who doesn't care about any other offering, then paying borderline stage prices for a profile player sized device is worth it for the form factor. But for the rest of the world who are weighing up all devices and value for $$$ then the KPP seems like a complete dud deal (because for the same money you can just get the bigger/better kemper devices).

If Fractal brought out a KPP sized pedal that didnt have a screen, FX loop, shipped with 20% of the FX and amps and sold it at $699... to then later on have $300 of unlocks for the full firmware, I think you'd find the same kind of backlash. There'd also be a small subsection of people that prefer a KPP sized pedal over a chunky boy FM3, but the vast majority of users would think its a terrible trade off and just get the FM3. Even this isnt a fair comparison because todays Fractal firmware is leagues ahead of Kemper (and a portion of the kemper criticism is that its starting to be over the hill tech repackaged at top $$$), but anyway its close enough.

If Fractal brought out a KPP sized pedal that didnt have a screen, FX loop, shipped with 20% of the FX and amps and sold it at $699... to then later on have $300 of unlocks for the full firmware, I think you'd find the same kind of backlash. There'd also be a small subsection of people that prefer a KPP sized pedal over a chunky boy FM3, but the vast majority of users would think its a terrible trade off and just get the FM3.
I'd pay $1k for a small Fractal unit, 100%. Quite a few people here want this. Nerf it, heck it doesn't even need switches, FM0! FM0! FM0!

I'd pay $1k for a small Fractal unit, 100%. Quite a few people here want this. Nerf it, heck it doesn't even need switches, FM0! FM0! FM0!
I’d buy it right away! Assuming it had FM3 modeling horsepower, USB audio, at least most of the same IO (and headphone jack….need to specify that…) in form factor like the Kemper Player? Oh hell yes!!

Kemper Nerf Bad
Fractal Nerf Good

Got it :rofl

Terrible idea for mass sales but goes to show people that dedicated fans in any camp are happy for this kind of thing. At least we can see the new FAS unit is a chunky boy, keen to see the release on that one.

Snitches get fiery britches.
season 2 fire GIF by DREAM CORP LLC

I'd pay $1k for a small Fractal unit, 100%. Nerf it, heck it doesn't even need switches, FM0! FM0! FM0!
Kemper Nerf Bad
Fractal Nerf Good

Got it :rofl
Pretty weird, cus no one said that…? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I dunno whats rustled your jimmies lately but you're coming off pretty harsh and agitated when all of this is lighthearted forum discussions. I see your counterpoints about the Kemper not being too bad a value to the right customer... but the reality is the majority of people looking at the situation see it as a terrible move from Kemper. Just like the NC bashing, the KPP bashing will soon pass and Kemper will be the ones who'll check their books to see if it was a good move or not.

I'm happy that there's been a megaton of "DLC criticism" because it hopefully sends a message to every company that this kind of move sucks, we don't need to see more of it. I dont want anything bad to happen to Kemper because they're good people, but this is a dud move and hopefully they can just re-frame their sales/offerings in a better way moving forward.

Isn’t that one of many reasons we all talk about anything here? To put it the perspective of the user/buyer? The same reason I will comment on every thread that a “flagship” floor unit without an included EXP is bad is the same reason I think charging to “open up” hardware that’s already in a device is a bad idea. I don’t like it, lol. I’m sure Kemper will do just fine with this customer fleecing just like the QC Nono sold out in a week. Everyone is dumb except me, obviously.

Back