Just got "fired" from the new band

Alex Kenivel

Rock Star
TGF Recording Artist
Got the phone call from the drummer this evening. More like "let go" instead of fired. The conversation went something like..

"We appreciate how professionally you came in and learned our entire catalog in less than a month and filled in for all of these October gigs but we're going to continue in another direction. I hope we can depart on good terms.. "

Okay, it's all good, thanks for the opportunity. No sweat..

"Now I might be stretching my luck but do you think you can sub in December?"

:puppet

I'll get back to you about that

I'll be busy, of course

:farley

The band had plenty of gigs, plenty of egos, and plenty of drama. I posted about our first gig in my other thread. At the next gig, one of the members opened up to me about drama that ensued with their singer, whom they had found at a Karaoke bar. At one point nobody in the band got along with the singer, who wanted to sue another member of the band, which made sense because you could smell the animosity between the members as the next few gigs rolled by. Singer was very unprofessional, didn't interact with anyone or have any expression on their face, even played mobile game apps while singing! They seem like they didn't want to be anywhere and called me an "amateur" because I got a stamp from the doorman. :columbo

The drummer couldn't keep a beat to save his life. No swing. During the phone conversation he told me he had a dream in which his and another band were playing the same gig and the other drummer told him he sucked as a drummer.
1666235048907.png

I was going to take until the next weekend to figure out if all the drama/travel was worth slaughtering songs at crowded bars in crack city but now that's one more thing I don't have to mull over. I was really just filling the void with this band after the last one literally died but I'm past mourning now no longer need a "musical booty call"

Last edited:
Holy crap!!! Not sure why you stayed in the first place after seeing what you mentioned. You’ve gotta be kidding me!!! Sub in December???!!! Yeah sure buddy, I’ll do that…when I sprout wings and can fly. I wouldn’t waste another thought about those cats and move on. Every band seems to have some kind of drama at some point, it’s up to you whether you can accept it or not…
Sassy Season 3 GIF by NETFLIX

Got the phone call from the drummer this evening. More like "let go" instead of fired. The conversation went something like..

"We appreciate how professionally you came in and learned our entire catalog in less than a month and filled in for all of these October gigs but we're going to continue in another direction. I hope we can depart on good terms.. "

Okay, it's all good, thanks for the opportunity. No sweat..

"Now I might be stretching my luck but do you think you can sub in December?"

:puppet

I'll get back to you about that

I'll be busy, of course

:farley

The band had plenty of gigs, plenty of egos, and plenty of drama. I posted about our first gig in my other thread. At the next gig, one of the members opened up to me about drama that ensued with their singer, whom they had found at a Karaoke bar. At one point nobody in the band got along with the singer, who wanted to sue another member of the band, which made sense because you could smell the animosity between the members as the next few gigs rolled by. Singer was very unprofessional, didn't interact with anyone or have any expression on their face, even played mobile game apps while singing! They seem like they didn't want to be anywhere and called me an "amateur" because I got a stamp from the doorman. :columbo

The drummer couldn't keep a beat to save his life. No swing. During the phone conversation he told me he had a dream in which his and another band were playing the same gig and the other drummer told him he sucked as a drummer.
View attachment 1748

I was going to take until the next weekend to figure out if all the drama/travel was worth slaughtering songs at crowded bars in crack city but now that's one more thing I don't have to mull over. I was really just filling the void with this band after the last one literally died but I'm past mourning now no longer need a "musical booty call"
matrix GIF

Sorry it didn’t work out but I think it’s for the best. You don’t want to be around that kind of drama.

Holy crap!!! Not sure why you stayed in the first place after seeing what you mentioned. You’ve gotta be kidding me!!! Sub in December???!!! Yeah sure buddy, I’ll do that…when I sprout wings and can fly. I wouldn’t waste another thought about those cats and move on. Every band seems to have some kind of drama at some point, it’s up to you whether you can accept it or not…

A gig is better than no gig. I have been in similar situations in the past and you justify stuff so you can play with a band. You learn the tunes and play the gigs and if they let you go, you move on. I am lucky enough to have been the one doing the hiring these last 15+ years or so but I have been in many other bands where I wasn't the one calling any shots. Yep, whether it's 20 year olds or 50 year olds there's always going to be some type of drama that pops up here and there for sure, you nailed that. In the main gigging band I run, our drummers wife likes to tell us we are too loud. I have told her once that I will let the venue decide that. Since then she will say it to her husband who sheepishly mentions it to us and I ignore him. Problem solved? No, but problem averted? Yes.
My wife and I have our own occasional drama's like every other normal married couple but we agreed when we started playing together not to ever carry anything over during band time and we have stuck to that promise since it started. I mean we don't have a lot of arguments but the few times we had to snuff them out for band time we did so. The bass player we had before the guy we have now, I did raise my voice to him once because for whatever reason he was messing up really bad during a gig. A gig we took to fill in for a band that canceled and a gig in a room we had been trying hard to get in to. I mean it was almost like he was doing it on purpose it was so bad. I apologized to him during a break though. Ultimately had to fire him cos he just wasn't cutting it and was consistently making us look bad.

I was once refused a position in a band for being too fat. Mind you at the time I was about 20lbs overweight at the most. Had a little bit of a pot belly.

Last edited:
That sucks man. It doesn’t matter if the other party has issues or not, it always sucks to be on the receiving end of that kind of news. Whether with a job, partnership, band, etc.

The nice thing is it does look to be good thing. And yeah, I think you definitely deserve better!

You deserve better Alex.
Thanks amigo, you sure know how to warm a heart!

I had committed to these October gigs (4 gigs in 3 weeks) as a trial run to see if I really wanted to be a part of the band. I liked the songs and the work, we had some great jams, but everything else was ugly. I've been a part of bands with drama, but this was like a marriage that needed to end a while ago - I've been in that situation before and the writing was on the wall.

Hahahah that sounds more like the drummer did you a favor!
matrix GIF

Sorry it didn’t work out but I think it’s for the best. You don’t want to be around that kind of drama.
This and this. "dodged a bullet" is exactly how I feel about it - I had to stop myself from typing the phrase a few times while posting. I was actually relieved when I got the call!

I was once refused a position in a band for being too fat. Mind you at the time I was about 20lbs overweight at the most. Had a little bit of a pot belly.
That's just fucked!

Tell your exdrummer to f**k right off about that favor in December.
I'll let him boil in the thought that I might agree to take the gig.

That whole situation is way too much for my sensibilities. Reminds me why I just claim to be too old and give up on the life.

I have certainly been on the edge a few times. I figure I have roughly 10 years left before I hang it up or at the least grab a stool and an acoustic guitar. The thought of that 2nd part makes me nauseous but who knows how I'll feel in 10 years.

I have certainly been on the edge a few times. I figure I have roughly 10 years left before I hang it up or at the least grab a stool and an acoustic guitar. The thought of that 2nd part makes me nauseous but who knows how I'll feel in 10 years.

What about an electric rig and a looper pedal? :idk

Back