Jimmy Page? He's sloppy live.

If you listen to the solo on Black Dog from MSG in 1975 (Four Blocks in the Snow, which you referenced above), that's what I'm talking about.

Now I understand what you mean. Your initial comment was a bit broad brush! I have a theory to go along with the obvious 'loosening' of his technique due to narcotic overload. Up until the 1973 US tour the band had been gradually evolving their live shows to what they became during that 73 tour - arguably one of the greatest rock tours ever. Most of those nights were so beyond epic it's ridiculous. The band was an improvisational Sherman Tank by then.

chicago73-ap4_0.jpg

Then two big things happened. First, Houses of the Holy and the subsequent tour smashed all sorts of records and firmly established Led Zeppelin as THE biggest band in rock. Second, the band took a full year off from the road. They'd toured non-stop from 69 through 73 and then put the entire operation in moth balls while they took vacations and worked on Physical Graffiti.

1975 tour comes around and Page figures he has to try and re-create the magic that had been happening organically during the previous 73 tour and he's simply not up to the task anymore for a number of reasons, including the drugs and being more concerned with looking as freaking cool as possible rather than playing as technically clean as he can. The shows (and solos) are not up to par as a result when looked looked at technically.

So while I agree he wasn't the same guy during the later tours, I still meet people who saw one of those shows and talks about it as the best concert they ever saw. Hands down.

Last edited:
I used to hate Zep and Page. His tone was thin and scratchy and he was sloppy as shit. I wasn’t fond of Plant’s voice, either.

Alas, I was 13. Then I heard Dream Theater cover “Since I’ve Been Loving You” and that chorus, the guitar part just sunk its teeth into me. How it gets all big and dark sounding then turns around and gets all sweet, delicate and cautious. That was enough for me to realize my gripes were essentially aesthetic in the context of the music Page wrote and I‘ve loved Zep ever since.

I bet you liked that song!

since I've been loving you is probably one of the greatest piece of music ever performed and recorded.

I'd give up a nut to be that sloppy live. The dude lived a life. :guiness

I also have a beef with the statues that a lot of iconic players are on stage as they stare
at their fretboards. :facepalm

Precision or performance? Unless you are Steve Vai pick your poison!

I used to hate Zep and Page. His tone was thin and scratchy and he was sloppy as shit. I wasn’t fond of Plant’s voice, either.

Alas, I was 13. Then I heard Dream Theater cover “Since I’ve Been Loving You” and that chorus, the guitar part just sunk its teeth into me. How it gets all big and dark sounding then turns around and gets all sweet, delicate and cautious. That was enough for me to realize my gripes were essentially aesthetic in the context of the music Page wrote and I‘ve loved Zep ever since.
I went the exact other way. HUGE Zep fan as a teen and later on. But then... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I had this arrive last week, because of you know who and you know what.

Have had it more than a couple of times in the past 10 years and I swear
I am keeping it this time. Not many Hi-Watt In A Box style pedals out there,
let alone one inspired by an iconic run of Zeppelin shows. :chef

20231016_173623.jpg

Here's a vid of the designer, Howard Gees, using it.

I had this arrive last week, because of you know who and you know what.

Have had it more than a couple of times in the past 10 years and I swear
I am keeping it this time. Not many Hi-Watt In A Box style pedals out there,
let alone one inspired by an iconic run of Zeppelin shows. :chef

View attachment 12059

Here's a vid of the designer, Howard Gees, using it.

That's a pedal I always wanted but never bought.

Back