Jimmy Page? He's sloppy live.

Achilles

Rock Star
Jimmy Page is awesome on record but man! the guy was really sloppy playing live.... :grin

iconicmusicpics.jpg

67d4465753dc96b1b5faab755fa4e388.jpg

391679456_815084950619068_9134984321228748633_n.jpg

1de84f648ffbfe7b7cc571d8ee6cb3b4.jpg

74ceb1ee454a89af2454e0a32d0dd651.jpg

Dude was an amazing guitarist until the drugs caught up with him. The 1970 Royal Albert Hall performance is the absolute top of his game, IMHO. He held on through the '73 tour (some great performances in the film) and from the '75 tour forward he's just a disaster.

from the '75 tour forward he's just a disaster.

This is simply not true based on the dozens of bootlegs I've heard from both the '75 and '77 tours. Thing is, the nights where he was bad he was like super drunk/stoned bad. Usually much later in the sets - probably after guzzling too much Jack backstage during Bonham and JPJ's solos. But there are plenty of AMAZING shows from both tours. Here's two that should have been officially released. Track them down if you can - and take in a good chunk of the show. The '75 Four Blocks vibe is all dope haze and the crowd just sitting back and getting off on the music. The '77 Eddie show is a freaking party for the entire FOUR!!! hours. Think a few dozen cases of Jack were making their way around the crowd - they stay bonkers all night long.

I used to hate Zep and Page. His tone was thin and scratchy and he was sloppy as shit. I wasn’t fond of Plant’s voice, either.

Alas, I was 13. Then I heard Dream Theater cover “Since I’ve Been Loving You” and that chorus, the guitar part just sunk its teeth into me. How it gets all big and dark sounding then turns around and gets all sweet, delicate and cautious. That was enough for me to realize my gripes were essentially aesthetic in the context of the music Page wrote and I‘ve loved Zep ever since.

Alas, I was 13. Then I heard Dream Theater cover “Since I’ve Been Loving You” and that chorus, the guitar part just sunk its teeth into me.

I've watched a million reaction videos and this may be my favorite. This girl is a trained professional opera singer. To watch her slowly 'get it' and then almost get off during the crescendos is awesome. Wait till you have time to watch the whole thing. It's well worth it.

Sneak peak:

This is simply not true based on the dozens of bootlegs I've heard from both the '75 and '77 tours. Thing is, the nights where he was bad he was like super drunk/stoned bad. Usually much later in the sets - probably after guzzling too much Jack backstage during Bonham and JPJ's solos. But there are plenty of AMAZING shows from both tours. Here's two that should have been officially released. Track them down if you can - and take in a good chunk of the show. The '75 Four Blocks vibe is all dope haze and the crowd just sitting back and getting off on the music. The '77 Eddie show is a freaking party for the entire FOUR!!! hours. Think a few dozen cases of Jack were making their way around the crowd - they stay bonkers all night long.

Maybe it's just me. I've also heard and owned tons of bootlegs (including those shows) and I think from 75-on his soloing is much weaker than in earlier years. If you listen to the solo on Black Dog from MSG in 1975 (Four Blocks in the Snow, which you referenced above), that's what I'm talking about. Earl's Court is much worse, but still. I still love the band, but it sucks to see the effects of the drugs.

Back