Is There Anything About Playing Guitar You Dislike, Or Even Hate?

Only thing I hate about playing guitar is not being able to play a guitar (properly).

But reason changes often, wanting to play but having no time, trying to learn new stuff but being lazy, jamming w/headphones but with low quality clipping signal, again jamming with songs but not being able to match the tone, wanting to rock loud but it's middle of the night, just warming the power tubes but need to take dog out, having cool inspiration and ideas but you're not at home, then everything is ok but your amp is buzzing because of one random annoying interference...

Hauling gear. Late night drives home. Then hauling gear again.

Rinsing and repeating. :facepalm

Luckily, my days and nights of doing that are less and less every passing year. :banana

100% this.

I hate learning note for note solos. No thanks that's not for me. Never done it, never will. I like to learn bits and pieces I consider relevant or that I really love and use them inside my improvisation.

There are few exceptions, like solos that are more like compositions serving the song, like first PInk Floyd's mother solo.

I'll add dealing with bass players complaining about volume :grin

Last edited:
Even worse is writing a killer riff or even a song in your head while you are in the shower and then having forgotten it when you are near a guitar.
A related frustration - sometimes I'll play back a recording from band practice that starts in the middle of a song, and for a brief moment it will sound like some completely new and amazing thing. I'll think, "this is incredible! I don't remember this improvisation!" and then my brain catches up and I realize it's some tired old baloney from a song we've already written.

I hate writing something totally fire randomly on the spot at practice and then inevitably not being able to 100% recreate it the next time.

What really sucks is doing this with demos of songs. I always read about bands having that issue, where you really fall in love with the demo because it has the creative spark in it that made you want to track the song, but then you to re-record it and ya just can’t nail the same vibe.

A related frustration - sometimes I'll play back a recording from band practice that starts in the middle of a song, and for a brief moment it will sound like some completely new and amazing thing. I'll think, "this is incredible! I don't remember this improvisation!" and then my brain catches up and I realize it's some tired old baloney from a song we've already written.
Yeah that sucks too. Sometimes you think you came up with a killer riff, only for you to realize it's some popular song.

What really sucks is doing this with demos of songs. I always read about bands having that issue, where you really fall in love with the demo because it has the creative spark in it that made you want to track the song, but then you to re-record it and ya just can’t nail the same vibe.

yeah exactly!!! that is mainly what i am talking about. we will do something completely crazy off the cuff and then spend a good chunk of time trying to recreate it. its almost like the more work you keep putting in just gets you farther away, like those dreams where you cant walk right. i have never done heroin but they talk about trying to get back to that first high but you never can which is kinda what it feels like some times.

yeah exactly!!! that is mainly what i am talking about. we will do something completely crazy off the cuff and then spend a good chunk of time trying to recreate it. its almost like the more work you keep putting in just gets you farther away, like those dreams where you cant walk right. i have never done heroin but they talk about trying to get back to that first high but you never can which is kinda what it feels like some times.

Actually, that’s a perfect analogy. Fortunately, writing songs over and over is a LOT more healthy than trying to recreate an opiate high. :rofl It’s definitely true though, I’ve done a shitload of opiates over the years, nothing beat the first time I actually got high off them.

When your cable starts cutting out, and you open the jack and everything is soldered fine and tight, and you plug it back in and again it cuts out, and you are now certain that the stupid idiotic barrel jack is a goner (may he who invented them to fix what didn't need fixing suffer forever cutting out of his signal), but then you try with a different cable and everything is fine, and just to make sure you reverse the faulty one, plugging the bad jack in the amp and indeed when you tug it it cuts out, and you again open it and again everything is fine and holds OK, and you know that you'll have to resolder the damn thing tomorrow even though there is nothing wrong with it, but then you remember that you have a full schedule tomorrow and the day after is Sunday and the day after is Monday so you just roll it up and leave it on the amp and you know it's gonna nag on you until you fix it.

The only time I haven't had decent calluses since playing was during Boot Camp. Man, it hurt
like hell getting them back. Never gonna let them go again. :love

I get calluses in 3 places I never used to, until I got serious about my technique:

My 1st finger on not just the tip, but also on the pad, from using it to mute the adjacent string (never used to pay attention to that), my inner knuckle on my thumb from how I have to hold it against the neck when playing riffs high up on the neck, and on the side of my 1st finger where I hold the pick (never played as long as I do know, so I never even got that one), but I'm working on getting comfortable with moving the pick further down the side of that finger.

I have to take an emery board board to those every so often! Sometimes I'll do the ones on my fingers also, to even them out.

I keep good calluses.

They're annoying and I'm always picking at them with my thumb nail.
They don't hurt, just a nuisance.

I wan mah purdy man handz be purdea

So true. This made me think of Boston's debut album -- a fair bit of it used parts from the demos.

Used to do a monthly gig with a "veteran" drummer about a decade back. He had chops
built through years of playing, but was growing old and lackadaisacal in his golden years.
He would only play drums and hold sticks during gigs, and would bleed like a stuck pig every
fucking time. Then he'd have to break out the tape to cover his wounds/bleeding blisters.

Rinse and repeat at the next gig. :facepalm

Oh, yes! I imagine that you all agree with me on this one: The worst thing about playing guitar (with other beings) is drummers

the muppet christmas carol drummer GIF

Back