Is it new amp day?

IMG_4100.jpeg

Absolutely lost the plot over the past week or 2, living out the midlife crisis dream (didn’t think I was that old…)

It’s a bit noisy so going to drop it in to Marshall for a once over. It has had filter caps, as well as most caps on the board replaced at some point, but looks pretty neatly done. Sounds OK besides noise but it’s enough to both my OCD.

From there do I:

- Sell as stock/factory serviced (I got it quite cheap, should be able to sell for the going rate and make a quick couple of quid even after costs). Probably makes most sense, but least fun option.

- Mod to vertical input spec. Means dropping some preamp voltages and moving some filter cap nodes around. Would need my usual tech to do that as Marshall don’t do any kind of mods. Pretty non-intrusive mod, easy to revert should anyone want to. Vertical input spec sounds better to me. Wouldn’t really affect the value in any way. A bit redundant based on what I already have but it puts the amp in a better state and if I do want to do further mods it’s a nicer starting point.

- Mod more heavily. It’s not a collectible 800, and the smaller PCB and big chassis means there’s lots of room to work in. A bit tricky to change the circuit because of the PCB mounted pots but there’s enough to work with (or I just put a new PCB in). Friedman Naked or sending it to Gower are my main preference atm, always the option to chuck in a Headfirst/Evolve PCB.

What do we think? (will post some stock horizontal input tones below).

Back