Is Glen right?

The copium is rich in here...Its like when DNA testing came out and it turned out that so many pacific islanders were actually NOT from the middle east a few hundred years ago, and they found out they shouldn't have given their land away in exchange for their own planets in the afterlife

The special pleading will drown out even Mastadon

What is the profile of the type of subscriber that follows him?!
So I've frequented Glenn's/SMG discord server quite a bit after covid hit. Back story: I got messages from friends that Glenn was doing a contest for recording a cover song. The theme was to turn a shitty 90s song and make it not shitty. I was intrigued by the theme, the contest and had lots of time since it was covid and I was working from home but not doing much. So I took some time, got my sister who lives on the opposite side of the US to sing on it and submitted.

Weeks went by and he never posted results or winners. So I joined his discord server to hopefully find out more on the whole contest thing. So I would lurk in there and try to chat/contribute where I could... Lets just say I definitely felt like the old fkn man on that server. It was cool to see the next gen metal/guitarist in their environment chatting and asking questions n shit. It was definitely a very high school vibe. I was close to leaving when they started doing weekly riff challenges, so I'd login once a week, grab the drums, record real quick and post.

So to answer your question, lots of super low tuning metal kids. Lots of really young humor (the equivalent of fart jokes when I was a kid). Most of them broke (weren't we all?) posting wish list of gear they'd like one day (7/8 string guitars, headless guitars. lots of plugins, modelers). And lots always referencing what they watched and learned from Glenn.

There were some knowledgable dudes here and there but I found they didn't stick around long. What was weird was seeing his influence being reflected in chats. So for example, if I or anyone else would post a NGD, say something Gibson there was lots of you should have bought a Solar or this or that for the price kind of thing. It almost feels like he is breeding these anti high end gear kids if that makes any sense.

[snip] It almost feels like he is breeding these anti high end gear kids if that makes any sense.
I mean, in a way that's great.
All this "You've got to own this list of gear to be a legit player"-BS is incredibly gate keeping and discouraging for the not so financially fortunate.
And it's admittedly not easy for music youtubers to find a sensible stance on "you can make worthwile music with inexpensive gear" while simultaneously dangling the sponsored gear carrot in font of their expensive cameras.

Glenn found his schtick and his audience. Gullible kids who think the loudest voice is the most important voice.

I strongly disagree with most of his assertions, and I don't think he is as scientifically minded as he pretends. I remember his claims about valves not making a difference. I immediately went to my JVM and started switching out preamp tubes. I immediately noticed that the two EHX branded 12AX7's I had would make the amp sound darker. His opinion was immediately discarded.

As ever, if you have to shout like a prick that you have all the knowledges... you probably don't.

Gullible kids who think the loudest voice is the most important voice.

Unfortunately, that doesn't only happens to kids. But let's not talk about that because it may derive into a forbidden topic :cop
Sea Lion Reaction GIF by Cameo
Excited Heart GIF by G2 Esports

His audience certainly isn't a gear forum with people's who's hobby it is to chase 1 db in tone difference.

Forget about comparing single coils vs humbucker, passive vs actives. If you compare humbuckers for a moment you can see a few dB in broad difference in BMT. Pickups also act like 2nd order LPFs, so you can change the resonant peak freq. however, relative to the effect of the BMT knobs on your amp, a boost pedal, or an EQ pedal the differences bw pickups are much more subtle.

The question of the video, isn't really what the hyperbolic video title suggests. It's not that pickups don't change the sound it's whether it really matters relative to all the other stuff that make much more drastic changes. The answer to that question is, to a guitar hobby basement dweller, yes, because what else would they spend their time and money on.

So if they matter to you, then they do.

I mean, in a way that's great.
All this "You've got to own this list of gear to be a legit player"-BS is incredibly gate keeping and discouraging for the not so financially fortunate.
And it's admittedly not easy for music youtubers to find a sensible stance on "you can make worthwile music with inexpensive gear" while simultaneously dangling the sponsored gear carrot in font of their expensive cameras.
I think I was just kind of surprised at the sheepish/hive minded mentality. It was just a different kind of experience than being here. Over there I was an old man on the server but in reality I was them once, aka the poor metal kid with absolute shit gear most of life then eventually leveled up through hard work and got good gear.

Overall it was weird being once like them, then growing up and finally getting some of my dream gear to then witness in group chats that highend boutique gear sucks, and that this brand or that brand is a waste of money from kids who never tried or experienced any of it for themselves, but instead was taught this gear hatred from a dude thats only two years older than me.

I strongly disagree with most of his assertions, and I don't think he is as scientifically minded as he pretends.
My gut tells me he can't hear the difference aka like the majority of the Kemper users that really think it sounds just like the real amp. Not a dis, after being in all kinds of facebook gear groups and such I think that people's hearing greatly differ.

That channel is among the very most honest ones in the recording sphere, like it or not...the fact that he has had me and especially Ethan Winer, who is the James Randi of the audio world, on his channel more than once speaks volumes.

And when he's been proven wrong, he admits it, which is more than I can say for 99% of them

You may not like his style, but he encourages you to try and post up some refutations of his findings

That channel is among the very most honest ones in the recording sphere
I used to watch his vids every so often and did pick up a few pointers on recording... but at some point things got more click bait and he started focusing more on high dollar gear/brand tirades which was a turn off for me... Ironically with a Soldano slo 100 right behind him.

I think most will agree, that you absolutely do not need high end gear to make good recordings, but at the same time, there is nothing wrong with getting good gear if thats your thing.

I have made it a point to unsubscribe from every single channel where the thumbnails show someone with an open mouth, which is 99.999999999999999999999999999999999% of them "doing it for the algo", including Glenn's, but his is still a very evidence based source for info and I really do challenge anyone who has issues with his findings to post a refutation. Its almost always only been ad homs with no substance.

The few times he really was shown, empirically to be wrong, he has published it. I challenge even most ofrum posters to admit when they've been shown to be wrong.

Look how hard the troo beliebers hold on to "tonewood" for example

Also lets be clear, he is most certainly not against high dollar gear, as he has piles of it and many times recommends it.

What he has tirades against are lies told by or myths spread about, gear, at any price.

Because of confirmation bias, when people have to justify their past spending, they more often notice when he mentions something that they purchased so it may seem like he is focusing on that....Not at all, he tears into 20 dollar mics just as often

If you want to see real confirmation bias, watch when the gibson cultists see one of his videos, and then refuse to actually address a single claim he makes

Look how hard the troo beliebers hold on to "tonewood" for example

Tonewood doesn't matter until you find two identical guitars made with the same wood, and one has resonant mojo while the other is totally lifeless. If it happens between the same wood species, imagine between different ones. Or a guitar with a dead note caused by the wood absorbing the vibrational energy of the strings at one specific frequency. But how do you explain that experience to a YouTuber that only plays chainsaw tones and has an open mouth at his thumbnail? Of course he is right on his own ecosystem: with that level of pandemonium, these things do not matter at all 😄

Last edited:
I test tones on many guitars and many pickups.

There are insane differences in them. So much that one tone that works with one will suck with another.

Sorry, NO.
Then by all means, provide a test sample for proof, until then its all "but 500 eyewitnesses saw it! No I don't know any of their names, but I promise, it was 500 eye witnesses"

The same pickups don’t even necessarily sound the same in different guitars. Let alone considering different pickups in the same guitar.

I’m not going to provide click bait influencers with ad revenue. Can someone sum up the nature of Glenn’s “proof”.

Back