Is Glen right?

1674780609432.png

I decided to watch both videos. I didn’t really see anything revelatory in either.

Glenn essentially said that there were differences between pickups, but to him the differences weren’t important in a given application from a value proposition standpoint. It’s his opinion. There’s nothing to refute.

Jim Lill’s video with the “air guitar”.

Jim essentially compared three variations of a T style guitar with similar pickups with a bolt on neck style construction method along with his air guitar which is a variant of a steel guitar design with the same pickups. Utilizing an open chord in the air guitar and t style portion.

These should sound very close to each other. No surprise there. He basically devolved a tele to its predecessors. Additionally he never made any actual claims regarding the information as he presented it. He only made a couple of open ended allusions. So once again there’s nothing to refute.

I believe a more interesting experiment would be if Jim suspended the neck humbucker from an ES-175 using 2 pieces of string at a distance to the nut of his current air guitar the same distance as from the neck position of the ES-175 to its nut and below the strings of the air guitar at the same distance as the neck humbucker would be from the strings of the ES-175, and then compared the results.

This would be to test deviations in construction while isolating the pickup in the air guitar. Though a more thorough test would be to also decouple the bridge and nut in addition to the pickup. More thorough still would be to additionally decouple the string anchors including the tuning pegs.

Regardless it’s academic because there’s a number of more varied elements that combine to influence the end results with any given instrument.

The information in the air guitar video is more or less fools gold if its purpose is to dispel audio myths.

Last edited:
Back