Is a bit of struggle a good thing?

I can definitely say that having less, whether that’s a less-than great setup, less gear to accomplish goals or even less time to play, all worked better for me than having it all. Every day I sit in my apartment surrounded by all the shit I’ve wanted since I was a kid and have to push myself to utilize any of it proves it to me every day.

Schitts Creek Pain GIF by CBC

It seems exponentially worse on a strat :ROFLMAO: My V has a bit more 'flex' to it but the strat is tight af.

I don’t think I could even do it anymore, but that was back when I was hardcore gigging full time. It was with a Strat and a Tele.

I started on 10s, those started feeling too floppy, so I jumped to 11s. Then those started feeling too floppy so I jumped to 12s and those felt great at the time.

I can definitely say that having less, whether that’s a less-than great setup, less gear to accomplish goals or even less time to play, all worked better for me than having it all. Every day I sit in my apartment surrounded by all the shit I’ve wanted since I was a kid and have to push myself to utilize any of it proves it to me every day.

For me I always find the most inspiration in the contrast between limitations and the lack of limitations.

Sometimes I get inspired by building the biggest most complex rig I can imagine, but then I start to feel stagnant and I’ll find inspiration by stripping it all away to the bare minimum. It sort of becomes a cycle for me.

My first guitar was a 4 string nylon pos (it was supposed to have 6 strings :grin) but I didn't care. I didn't even know how to tune the thing but I taught myself the opening riffs to Iron Man and Smoke on the Water. It took a while but my older brother ended up getting me a cheap electric guitar because he saw I was serious.

No matter what gear you have, you have to be determined, stubborn and just love doing it. No gear can create that part of you inside.

My first guitar was a 4 string nylon pos (it was supposed to have 6 strings :grin) but I didn't care. I didn't even know how to tune the thing but I taught myself the opening riffs to Iron Man and Smoke on the Water. It took a while but my older brother ended up getting me a cheap electric guitar because he saw I was serious.

No matter what gear you have, you have to be determined, stubborn and just love doing it. No gear can create that part of you inside.
You're making a whole lot of sense.

:unsure:

I wrote more songs on an old SG + two Boss pedals and a solid state Marshall 1x12 than any of this Fractal/Helix/Mesa/boutique bullshit!
:rofl:wat

Those people weren’t me. This did work for me, and if I had to do it over again I would do it the exact same way.

It’s not bias, it’s recognizing what worked and benefitted me. That doesn’t mean the opposite didn’t work for others.

There is no rule that says the same approach works for everyone :idk

I didn’t say it was to see if I’m capable of playing the piece.

Those people weren't me either. I learned very much like you did. If I had to do it over again, with the knowledge I have now, I'd do things very differently. Guitar pedagogy has advanced quite a bit since I was a kid. I'd take full advantage of that.

No, I don't agree. If the gear fights you, it takes the fun out of it, and you may very well quit. There are ways to fine-tune your technique on a good quality instrument. Distortion will clearly show you where you're overlapping notes, and a clean tone, w/o compression, will help you with your dynamics. And the right exercises will help build finger strength evenly across your hand.

Also, I've enjoyed playing guitar more than I ever had, once I bought a Majesty and an Axe III (which in retrospect, would've been the same had I opted for an FM3 instead.)

It made me want to play so much that I've improved more than ever before.

Is weight-training difficult? Is exercising? Is gaining an higher education difficult? Is
marriage and child-rearing challenging?

(Obviously, rhetorical)

Resistance is our friend, not our enemy. It makes us stronger and more fit and offers
us opportunities to become smarter and adapt to the forces arrayed against us---and
there are forces arrayed against us from gravity to the need for oxygen to hunger,
thirst and the unquenchable desire meaning.

I love a chance to post a quote from one of my favourite books/poets of all-time. I have
done my best to adhere to this principle and life my life in accordance with seeking out
challenges and difficulties and not running from them into a life of slack-eyed slothfulness. :lol

1728927723007.png

Look at baseball players before they go to bat and are in the "On Deck" circle. They put
a weighted donut on their bat to increase resistance and make it heavier and harder to swing.
They do that intentionally, an on purpose. You take it off and Presto! Feels so light and nimble.

home run baseball GIF by Boomerang Official

:rofl

My first guitar had a baseball bat thick neck with a B-string tuner that required a wrench to turn.

I think having a decent guitar with a good setup as a beginner can only help.

For amps and fx maybe it's better to have something that doesn't provide you too many options.

Back