IRs: what do you use LIVE - single mics or blends?

vino_buono

Roadie
Rather than a specific IR brand, my question is whether for gigs you use a single mic IR or a blend of multiple mics?

Me: in the past I used to use blends (typically York Audio 57+160). Lately, I tend to use a single 57 mic. It avoids low end build-up and can be heard well in the mix.

Also, I find that unless the room has very good acoustics, most mics/blends tend to sound rather similar when used live (aside from excessive low end in some cases).

I am also curious about how guitar amps are mic'd during love live performances? Which combination of mics are typically used (if blended at all)? Or is it usually just single mics?

Last edited:
I am also curious about how guitar amps are mic'd during love performances? Which combination of mics are typically used (if blended at all)? Or is it usually just single mics?

Depends on the venue, but for most local stuff it’s a 57 the soundguy randomly sticks in front of the cab. On a few occasions, I’ve seen some 609’s but that’s been pretty rare.

You really only see mics being blended on bigger tours where they have a legit crew that sets up the same stuff night to night. In those cases, it’s whatever blend of mics the artist/FOH guy wants or needs.

Rather than a specific IR brand, my question is whether for gigs you use a single mic IR or a blend of multiple mics?

I actually have pretty much no idea anymore. Since some years I keep coming back to one single IR (or one slightly brighter variation) that I mangled out of various captures I tried to take myself. To be honest, it hasn't been a true success story, but as I really wanted to make that "no, you're not using anything else but your own shit, goddamnit!" thing happen for whatever stupid reasons, I just tweaked as if there was no tomorrow and finally ended up with a handful of IRs, two of them becoming the above mentioned ones. I guess they don't sound "authentic" at all (well, they aren't authentic at all, not even when I started with all that), but they suit my live purposes so well that I usually don't bother using anything else.
Ok, as of lately, I captured the Helix' Mandarin30 to use it in my Amplifirebox (which is my main pedal platform these days), seems to work quite well, too - but when I went back to my own IRs, it just felt like home. So I guess I'll be using them forever or so...
For me they're working well both through "FRFR" monitors and through IEMs, which IMO is a super nice bonus.

In case you want to check them, here we go:

I'm sure you'll find them pretty lackluster at typical home volumes. So do I (even if they usually still work), but these are meant to work well live.
And yes, I'm using them for both clean and driven sounds (styles ranging from pop/jazz/funk to classic riffage).
Fwiw, it seems they're the subjectively loudest IRs ever, possibly because I trimmed everything away I think is not needed, especially any excessive low end.

For my Radiohead tribute playing I use gigsup's reflection-free far-field (single-mic) AC30 IRs.

For my Pink Floyd tribute playing I used to use TheAmpFactory's single-mic WEM Starfinder 4x12 IRs. But after Helix FW3.7 I've started using the Helix's built-in single-mic Hiwatt 4x12 cab sims for my Wall-era presets. Still need to rework my other Gilmour presets for the new cab sims.

Mine are generally blended 57 and 121 mixes. In my primary one the 57 is more prominent to my ear, and I dial the preset in to fit in the appropriate place in the mix regardless of which IR I’m using.

If I’m using a stock cab, I usually go with a single mic then just for the sake of simplicity on my part.

D

For my Pink Floyd tribute playing I used to use TheAmpFactory's single-mic WEM Starfinder 4x12 IRs. But after Helix FW3.7 I've started using the Helix's built-in single-mic Hiwatt 4x12 cab sims for my Wall-era presets.

If I’m using a stock cab, I usually go with a single mic then just for the sake of simplicity on my part

Which single mics are you guys using ?

Playing my first gig in over a decade (!!!) next week, and this topic has been crossing my mind lately.

With headphones, I usually get good sounds with either the Helix or my CAB M+. I'll probably bring my small backup board, along with a Katana head and the CAB M+, since we're playing a tiny, dirty punk cave, and I don't feel like getting beer or puke on my Helix. 😂

But what do I provide to FOH? Is a single cab/mic sim better/clearer than a mono mix of two mics? Do I add room/ambience or rather go completely dry?

I am also curious about how guitar amps are mic'd during love live performances? Which combination of mics are typically used (if blended at all)? Or is it usually just single mics?
With "real" mics, I'd always use a good old, single SM57 up close to the speaker.

Pretty much hassle-free, and since most venues have at least a bunch of those laying around, backup is usually a given.

Which single mics are you guys using ?

If I’m going for a close miced thing, usually the 57 starting from the cap edge and moving it closer to or further from center as needed for the top end. Sometimes I’ll be in a 421 mood, but usually 57.

If not close micing, I’ll use the 160 or 67 starting in the center and moved back 8-12” and adjust from there.

Really broad brush, clean to lightly crunchy I’m probably micing further back. Crunch to lead gain level I’m close micing. That’s not an intentional choice really as much as just what I’ve found my ear generally goes to.

D

For the last years of using a cab, I always brought my own, a Sennheiser e903 (which I found to be highly suitable sort of by accident, kinda like an SM57 with maybe a tad more fidelity), held by a mic clamp which was mounted on my cab (positions for different cabs marked and photographed). Worked extremely well, no annoying mic stands to worry about, either. If I were to return to real cabs (not gonna happen in this life anymore), that'd be the first thing I'd go for.

For the last years of using a cab, I always brought my own, a Sennheiser e903 (which I found to be highly suitable sort of by accident, kinda like an SM57 with maybe a tad more fidelity), held by a mic clamp which was mounted on my cab (positions for different cabs marked and photographed). Worked extremely well, no annoying mic stands to worry about, either. If I were to return to real cabs (not gonna happen in this life anymore), that'd be the first thing I'd go for.
I have the kinda 57-esque Lewitt MTP440 (that has (positively) surprised me on both guitar cabs and snare drum. Matches what you said about the E903, I believe.

Back