In a world, where your fav modeler doesn't exist: What would be your pick?

BahamaDada

Roadie
This is a purepy theoretical question mainly for the guys (n girls?), that mainly use/have one modeler:

Imagine living in a world where your favorite modeler isn't a thing. You are still musician. You still use a modeler. Everything else is the same down to a T.

What do you use and why? What's the "next best thing" for you? If you own it already but it isn't your main: Great. Tell me why you'd use that (and maybe why you bought it in the first place, too).

(Disclaimer: I don't seek any buying advice. I am just curious what people would use if the world was different. This shower thought is sponsored by me as I was playing with my Mighty Plug Pro this morning and being pretty satisfied with the sounds. In my head came the words "Damn, if I'd not own a Helix I'd definetly sport the whole Nux flagship thing".)

I bought my Axe Fx III because I was looking for top-quality, stereo effects, and started revisiting multi-effects units. I had used a couple rack units 30-odd years ago, and they didn't sound realistic enough for me, but I figured with advances in the tech, it was time to look at them again.

I like rack gear, but it seemed to me that most of the best stuff was in pedal format, with brands like Strymon & Eventide. So if I hadn't stumbled across Fractal, and learned of how fantastic a multi-effects unit it was, that it had for example, taken the place of a 2290, PCM 80, and H3000 in Petrucci's rig, I'd have probably invested in some Strymon stuff, and stayed with my tube amps.

Cuz I still had a bad enough taste in my mouth from Line 6 (the older stuff I had heard sounded like ass) that I know I wouldn't have bought a Helix. Plus, I wasn't sold on the whole modeler-being-as-good-as-tube-amps argument yet. I may have tried the plugin route though, but probably not, since I was really seeking killer-sounding effects at the time I learned about Fractal.

Basically, I ended up with a modeler as an extra bonus.

I went from an HX Stomp, to an Axe FXII+ to a Helix Rack. I could go to an Axe FXIII and be fine. I prefer the Helix tones, but not by so much that I would feel deprived using a Fractal. For me, it seems the two are Coke & Pepsi now...

Budget was a serious consideration for me at the time I bought the HX Stomp. I was deciding between that and the PodGo. If I went with the PodGo I think many things would be the same for me. For example, the Adriatic delay would have still become an indispensable part of my sound, and I would still be lusting over a Floor or LT.

Differences are that I would still be convinced that a dual amp setup was what I really wanted (the HX Stomp taught me otherwise), and I’d probably be using a wah a lot more since it’s just sitting there asking to be used.

Helix has been my only modeler, but any other modeler would work fine for me. If I had to choose right now, would probably be something from Fractal.

My go-to for the studio and stage has been Helix. I’m generally pleased with the sounds, and at this point totally dependent on snapshots, external amp switching, and the ability to hand presets back and forth between my gig hardware and DAW.

If it all disappeared, I’d have a tough time. If I switched over to my Tonex I keep my live/recording compatibility but have to do something else for fx and I likely end up tap dancing again. If I grab an FM9 I get great tones as well as snapshot-like functionality, but lose the option to use those tones in a DAW without having to jump through a bunch of hoops.

Fav is Fractal, so if I had to pick something else, I’d probably go Helix + Tonex. I’d keep Tonex in the mix because I don’t love the Helix amps or cabs when listening through studio monitors. When playing through a guitar cab, the Helix amps are fine. Helix effects are great tho, regardless of playback method, and complement Tonex nicely.

Well my favorite modeler is Helix LT so yeah I'd go Fractal FM9 and a Mission Engineering exp pedal. I have used Kemper before and though it's good, it's not on a level with Fractal stuff. I had an FM9 for a spell and it was fantastic albeit no exp pedal and a grainier and more cumbersome workflow.

I’m using Fractal now. If they disappeared I’d be just as happy playing either a Kemper, GT1000, or a pedalboard built around a Marshall-in-a-box

I don't have a favorite
:rollsafe
I bet this is the case for more people than are willing to admit it. It really is more about finding what works for you than anything.

Helix checks the most important boxes for me, so I use it and continue to invest effort working with it.

Would I love to have all the amp models and tweakability of the AxeFx?? You bet I would. There are always trade offs.

First choice: Quad Cortex
Reasons: Usability and routing flexibility

Second choice: Helix
Reasons: Usability and routing flexibility

I bet this is the case for more people than are willing to admit it. It really is more about finding what works for you than anything.

Helix checks the most important boxes for me, so I use it and continue to invest effort working with it.

Would I love to have all the amp models and tweakability of the AxeFx?? You bet I would. There are always trade offs.
Spot on.

My ultimate device would be something like:
  • Fractal amp/cab sims.
  • Fractal delay, reverb, modulation, pitch effects.
  • Fractal editor software.
  • Fractal's freeform routing.
  • Helix fuzz, drives and oddball effects (Retro Reel etc).
  • Helix parameter snapshot/MIDI control. Just way easier to setup than Fractal's complicated modifier/controller system.
  • Quad Cortex form factor and I/O.
  • QC onboard user interface and knob/switches (maybe a bit less of them so they're not so cramped).
  • Kemper's dedicated controls for basic settings.
  • Tonex or NAM capture tech, but not their user interfaces.
Obviously that doesn't exist so you pick your compromises, whether they are workflow, sound quality, form factor or cost related.

I'd be totally fine on a Helix. In fact, I definitely like its effects better than Fractal's. Amp modeling has gotten to be quite good as well.

I have a Helix but I'd probably buy a Boss otherwise.

I'm also Boss-curious. I understand that the amp models aren't very accurate. But plenty of people say that if you can get over that irksome detail, then the modeller is enjoyable to play; I'd like to try that and see if I can find at least one model that does it for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have an FM9 and I've had a couple of Helices.

Back