Improving my Recordings

I’m still on a 2017 iMac I haven’t updated since I bought (refurbished).

I'm beating that by quite a mile. What you're reading is typed on a 2010 vintage computer (12-core Mac Pro).
Thing is, while you can leave your OS alone as long as it gets, there's good reasons for updating things, too. After a while you may just have to because of security concerns. Or because you simply can't, say, browse the web properly anymore. Just as an example, for Mojave, which I'm using, there's no up to date Firefox version anymore. For my 2008 Macbook, there's no officially supported browser at all anymore, I couldn't watch YT vids with it or log into this forum. Etc.
In my case it's also that I'm still involved in some software betatesting every now an then (obviously sort of on a hiatus right now, even if some companies like to keep their products compatible with older OSes).
And then there's Logic updates. As a Logic afficionado, I obviously want the latest and greatest. And since quite some time, Logic requires the 2nd to 3rd latest OS version for the most up to date Logic version (a few years back you could install the latest Logic on, say, a 6 year old macOS version).

It all really sucks, especially as I haven't even been just dumb enough to follow Logic into Apple land but because I also kinda trusted Native Instruments. Now I have a Maschine Mk1, a Kore Kontrol and a Rig Kontrol working as door stops. They're all fully functional but I can't use them at all anymore, simply because NI abandoned updating them while Apple kept breaking backwards compatibility multiple times.
And all that while Windows users can partially still run plugins from the last century (I kid you not)!

Before I went all in with Softube and Console 1, I got a lot of use out of Waves Schepp’s Omni Channel. I don’t think they were modeling any particular sound, but I liked that it had basically everything you needed and could be re-arranged to suit your tastes.

That plugin actually models a lot of specific stuff based on the different things Andrew Scheps likes to use.

Anyway....

As for the OP's question, use whatever you understand and like...if you don't know what you understand & like yet, then IMHO use stock plugins until you have an idea and/or just try stuff out (software demos are awesome).

All of the SSL plugins are popular because the SSL consoles they're based on were used to mix a lot of your favorite music for years. But, they weren't the only consoles that's true for.

There are differences between all the plugins, but they don't really matter in the end. There is no magic in any specific plugin (or hardware), just stuff that works for you or doesn't, stuff that lets you do what you need/want and stuff or doesn't. You'll wind up with your favorites eventually. Until then, if you're excited to try something, go ahead and get the demo, work on it, see how it works.

EQ and Compressors, It’s one of those things where some people just stick with the one that came with their DAW. That might be fine, but there’s a reason there are so many third-party EQs around no? and it’s because, more depth, flexibility and detail is needed

:idk

This because I heard Steve Vai mention it on passion and warfare
@DrewJD82 I'm sure you've noticed this before :cool:

1708084288405.png

Time stamped-->

EQ and Compressors, It’s one of those things where some people just stick with the one that came with their DAW. That might be fine, but there’s a reason there are so many third-party EQs around no? and it’s because, more depth, flexibility and detail is needed

No, it's because people think differently and vibe differently with different stuff. And because EQs are insanely easy to make digitally (assuming you know how to code)...all the math is out there.

I like FF Pro-Q3 better than every other EQ I've used. Does that mean it's the best? No. A lot of people agree with me, but a lot of other people hate the modern interface or just like other stuff better. It works for me. Is it a deal-breaker if it stops existing? Nah. I'd buy the Softube Weiss EQ MP or Kirchoff. They're close. And, no, it's still not the only EQ I use.

If you can hear where you are and know where you want to be, the simplest thing to get there is probably the best. And, that's totally a you thing.

Case in point, given the last post....I hate Pultecs. I just don't vibe with them. I've seen other people use a bunch of Pultec plugins as almost their only EQ on an entire mix. Neither of us is wrong.

Sorry, I only read your OP. You said you want basic tone shaping at the recording stage, but you dont say how you are recording your guitars. Mic? direct? Modeler? Amps? nylon string and a Neumann? Banjo and an iPhone? Tons of variables generate tons of answers. I’d like to help, just need more info.

Yes they have some nice stuff that dont break the bank
Looking at their site and Put this in my cart its all i really need for what i want EQ and compressor
Waves SSL EV2 $40.00

Thanks Drew (y)

View attachment 18584
Good plugin but
1. It’s a resource hog over here and
2. It’s Waves, who have proven themselves to be the devil.

:idk

Same reasons there’s a million amp sims that all do the 5150 or Dual Rec, people buy ‘em.

It’s getting into that exact area the modeler comparisons get into, except usually avoiding the whole UI discussion because most plugins have the same kind of UI. There might be small differences between them and you might find an appreciation for those subtle differences, but at the stage you’re at now, you’re not going to hear them. You’ve gotta first understand 100% what the EQ’s are doing on their own before you can hear the differences between them.

FWIW, this is the SSLChannel plugin I use, the E-Channel. Waves has it on sale every other day, I think it’s $35 now.
ssl-e-channel.png

Sorry, I only read your OP. You said you want basic tone shaping at the recording stage, but you dont say how you are recording your guitars. Mic? direct? Modeler? Amps? nylon string and a Neumann? Banjo and an iPhone? Tons of variables generate tons of answers. I’d like to help, just need more info.
Guitar into FM9 out to Motu M2 and straight to DAW

Try a 14-day trial of UAD Spark, you get loads of top notch plugins.
That will give you a solid idea of what they can do for you, or not.

Back