Improving my Recordings

Stone

Rock Star
Hello all so another venue id like to tackle is to improve my recordings
I use Studio One because I started with that and Im familiar with it
So looking at the stock plugin Channel strip which i often use I find it to be somewhat Meh
Was wondering if this Plugin would work with my DAW and used strictly for guitar, any experts here can tell me and if they have ever used it ?

Brainworx bx_console SSL 4000 E

1707652809483.png

Or if any other selections may be better ?

Cheers
Mike

Brainworx has some great plugins, I have quite a few although I haven't used the one above. It should work fine and be more than enough for most needs. I use the Pro EQ in Studio One a lot for subtle or extreme shaping. I like the bx_digital V3 plugin too.

If you're just making minor tweaks @Stone I'd think the Pro EQ, the built-in compressors, limiters in Studio One would be just fine? They're great.

Brainworx has some great plugins, I have quite a few although I haven't used the one above. It should work fine and be more than enough for most needs. I use the Pro EQ in Studio One a lot for subtle or extreme shaping. I like the bx_digital V3 plugin too.

If you're just making minor tweaks @Stone I'd think the Pro EQ, the built-in compressors, limiters in Studio One would be just fine? They're great.
Thanks, the Digital V3 does look nice who makes Pro Eq ?

I think Fuzzy’s talking about FabFilter‘s Pro-Q3, which is the bee’s knees, the shit, mac daddy, EQ plug-in.

I use both, an SSL Channel EQ like yours (but Waves instead of Brainworx, they probably sound VERY similar though) and the Pro-Q3.

Actually, I’d suggest the Pro-Q3 over the channel strip, just for the fact that you have an RTA on screen the entire time you have it open, you can solo the frequencies you’re cutting/boosting so you can hear EXACTLY what you’re doing. It’s been GREAT at teaching me the frequency points and how they relate to a guitar tone; like when someone is saying “Boost around 4.5k”, you can get a much better idea of exactly what you’re doing.

You can also use it to teach yourself here the shitty areas are by making a narrow band and then sweeping it back and forth to look for standing frequencies, if you drag the EQ across the spectrum and hear spots where you’re hearing a bunch of noise but no notes changing, that shit’s no good, so you can start chopping it out and start hearing the tones get defined in the process.

I think it’s like $160, great price for something as powerful as it is.

I think Fuzzy’s talking about FabFilter‘s Pro-Q3, which is the bee’s knees, the shit, mac daddy, EQ plug-in.

I use both, an SSL Channel EQ like yours (but Waves instead of Brainworx, they probably sound VERY similar though) and the Pro-Q3.

Actually, I’d suggest the Pro-Q3 over the channel strip, just for the fact that you have an RTA on screen the entire time you have it open, you can solo the frequencies you’re cutting/boosting so you can hear EXACTLY what you’re doing. It’s been GREAT at teaching me the frequency points and how they relate to a guitar tone; like when someone is saying “Boost around 4.5k”, you can get a much better idea of exactly what you’re doing.

You can also use it to teach yourself here the shitty areas are by making a narrow band and then sweeping it back and forth to look for standing frequencies, if you drag the EQ across the spectrum and hear spots where you’re hearing a bunch of noise but no notes changing, that shit’s no good, so you can start chopping it out and start hearing the tones get defined in the process.

Wow that Looks Killer :chef

So Now DAW Plugin GAS is next lol

Both are about $200.00 CDN seems very well worth it

Thanks

:beer

Thanks, the Digital V3 does look nice who makes Pro Eq ?
The V3 is really cool, I've used it a lot over the years. The Pro EQ is a Studio One built-in plugin. The latest version in 6 has a dynamic eq section now which makes it super versatile. What version are you running?

The FabFilter eq is legendary at this point, but I've personally never used it.:cry:
Don't think you can go wrong with that either.

Wow that Looks Killer :chef

So Now DAW Plugin GAS is next lol

Both are about $200.00 CDN seems very well worth it

Thanks

Hahahah my STRONG advice for plug-ins is to start with some basics, an EQ, a compressor or two and maybe, MAYBE a limiter. Grab a drum VST and just work with that for like 6 months to a year, then if you find you really dig recording THEN I’d look into some other plug-ins.

It’s REALLY easy to get carried away with them, thinking that the more you add the better your mixes will work, or the presets in them will help get your mix where it needs to be, when it actuality they‘re just making everything sound worse. I really want to pull out some old Logic sessions just to laugh at the amount of plug-ins I’d use on something, then take them all off and see how long it takes me to re-mix it to sound better than what I started with.

The Fab Filter ProQ3 has a very cool "tone matching" feature.

For example: It allows you to have it "listen" to an isolated guitar track, and plot the EQ curve. Then you get as close as you can to that tone with the gear you have. Fab Filter will then allow you to play thru the software and it will adjust the EQ of your guitar tone (in real time) to match the ISO track you fed into it.

While this is very cool, in and of itself.. what I learned to do was analyze the exact EQ changes were being made by the software, plot them out, then figure out corrections you might need to make in your own guitar tone to match your target tone.. changing speakers, manually EQ it yourself, etc..

Basic Tone fine tuning at the recording stage

For guitars? In that case, what comes with Studio One should be just fine.
In fact, unless you're doing things on a professional level, when it comes to mixing things, most DAWs deliver enough decent internal plugins to do everything you may ever need.

Apart from that, as long as it's about guitars, you really shouldn't need much. Some correctional EQ (again, all DAW internal ones should be just fine) and maybe some compression for clean-ish guitars.
And even if you're not happy with what your DAW comes with, there's a gazillion freebies out there.

If you want some nice freebies, check these out (bottom of the page), including a dynamic EQ, some compressors and what not:

For guitars? In that case, what comes with Studio One should be just fine.
In fact, unless you're doing things on a professional level, when it comes to mixing things, most DAWs deliver enough decent internal plugins to do everything you may ever need.

Apart from that, as long as it's about guitars, you really shouldn't need much. Some correctional EQ (again, all DAW internal ones should be just fine) and maybe some compression for clean-ish guitars.
And even if you're not happy with what your DAW comes with, there's a gazillion freebies out there.
Yes im certainly no pro Just was wondering how to improve Ill check and see what's out there for sure

Thanks

And as a great quick'n'dirty EQ that seems to work pretty well for guitars, there's the ljkb Luftikus EQ:
Could do with one more high mid band IMO, but as all bands are pretty wide, it works amazingly well as is, especially because it's got an auto output leveling feature, so you don't fall for the old "louder = better" thing as easily.

Like this One ?

1707663780992.png

Nah, you don't buy software at these shops. There's dedicated shops such as audiodeluxe, plugin boutique and what not. They usually have way better sales than regular MI shops. Then there's also knobcloud, where you can get 2nd hand music software.
And of course there's KVR, which is a must for all sorts of music software information.

Back