Improving my Recordings

Hahaha Long and Mcwait probably dont even Know what a DAW is much less a Plugin hahahahaha
I avoid that Store like the Black Plague
Dumb question but could you order software from SW if it's just a digital good and they email it to you?

Dumb question but could you order software from SW if it's just a digital good and they email it to you?

No, they're selling codes. You then sign up at the software maker's website and redeem the code. At least that's the typical procedure.
And as with every bigger reseller, the big fishes usually get their codes cheaper from the makers, but in the land of music software, there's some bigger fishes in the pond than the MI shops also selling hardware (such as Plugin Boutique and the likes), usually offering the best sales.

As a rule of thumb: You NEVER buy any music software at the retail price - yes, there's exceptions from that, but they are almost non existant. Typically, you look out for sales and see whether there's something you can use.
And fwiw, very often sales aren't anything like what you might know from the hardware world. We're not talking about 5-10% off here - we're talking 50%-90% off.
I highly recommend looking around at the various shops (and at KVR) for a while, so you get a feel about how much something might actually cost you.

Annoyingly, plugins won’t make your recordings better. They might keep you inspired and excited to do stuff and make the process more fun.

I would suggest just saving up money and investing as much as you can into room treatment and good monitoring. Being able to hear what you’re doing accurately will lead to making better decisions with literally EVERYTHING you do. It’s a boring topic and not exciting to spend money on but it’s 100% the thing to focus on, especially if you want to improve fast.

Yep.

Waves sells bundles at ridiculous discounts all the time, chances are you can get that plus a few compressors for under $75 if ya check the Waves site!
Yes they have some nice stuff that dont break the bank
Looking at their site and Put this in my cart its all i really need for what i want EQ and compressor
Waves SSL EV2 $40.00

Thanks Drew (y)

1707677790687.png

Annoyingly, plugins won’t make your recordings better. They might keep you inspired and excited to do stuff and make the process more fun.

I would suggest just saving up money and investing as much as you can into room treatment and good monitoring. Being able to hear what you’re doing accurately will lead to making better decisions with literally EVERYTHING you do. It’s a boring topic and not exciting to spend money on but it’s 100% the thing to focus on, especially if you want to improve fast.
YEs true dat, i am looking into room treatments as well My Monitors are Ok for a Non Pro like myself
And $40.00 ain't going to break the Bank to see if i can get some better parameter control, I spend more than that on a bottle of wine

:beer

Again thank you all for your amazing input
this place is filled with lots of help and always great advice

:chef :beer:chef

Before I went all in with Softube and Console 1, I got a lot of use out of Waves Schepp’s Omni Channel. I don’t think they were modeling any particular sound, but I liked that it had basically everything you needed and could be re-arranged to suit your tastes.

Yes they have some nice stuff that dont break the bank
Looking at their site and Put this in my cart its all i really need for what i want EQ and compressor
Waves SSL EV2 $40.00

Thanks Drew (y)

View attachment 18584

The biggest reason I’d argue against this for your first one as a EQ/Compressor thing is due to the lack of metering with the compression, which is going to put it 100% on your ears to recognize what the compression is doing and that’s REALLY tricky until you get to understand compressors.

And going a bit further into it, if you saw any of my recent posts on my monitor upgrade, there was a TON of things I was doing with plugins, mainly EQ’s and compression, where I wasn’t hearing what I was doing because my HS5’s were incapable of reproducing what I was doing.

Alas, whatever plugin exists, there’s a youtube video on how to use it. Once ya get it, watch some vids and really put on your listening ears to get an idea of what it’s doing. Start familiarizing yourself with the numbers on the knobs because you often end up hitting up the same frequency zones.

300-500Hz.png.webp

The biggest reason I’d argue against this for your first one as a EQ/Compressor thing is due to the lack of metering with the compression, which is going to put it 100% on your ears to recognize what the compression is doing and that’s REALLY tricky until you get to understand compressors.

And going a bit further into it, if you saw any of my recent posts on my monitor upgrade, there was a TON of things I was doing with plugins, mainly EQ’s and compression, where I wasn’t hearing what I was doing because my HS5’s were incapable of reproducing what I was doing.

Alas, whatever plugin exists, there’s a youtube video on how to use it. Once ya get it, watch some vids and really put on your listening ears to get an idea of what it’s doing. Start familiarizing yourself with the numbers on the knobs because you often end up hitting up the same frequency zones.

300-500Hz.png.webp

Cool! I am guessing Stone has access in Studio One to an existing Multi-Band Compressor and Parametric
EQ where he could play around and experiment with a better understanding of those Freqs and how they
all interact. :idk

I'd dive into the catalog of VSTs that come with Studio One and I bet there is something there that does a
lot of what a Plug-In does without any additional outlay.

It can be enlightening messing about with your guitar tones (or bass) and then realize doing so makes your Kick
Drum sound different. It's interactive magic! :LOL:

Cool! I am guessing Stone has access in Studio One to an existing Multi-Band Compressor and Parametric
EQ where he could play around and experiment with a better understanding of those Freqs and how they
all interact. :idk

I'd dive into the catalog of VSTs that come with Studio One and I bet there is something there that does a
lot of what a Plug-In does without any additional outlay.

It can be enlightening messing about with your guitar tones (or bass) and then realize doing so makes your Kick
Drum sound different. It's interactive magic! :LOL:

Hahahah it only turns to magic when you’re intentionally making those moves. Before then it’s misery and confusion. :rofl

I actually hate posting this, as it's completely against my own advice on page #1, but as Waves has been mentioned already, this is a pretty decent offer:

+1 about hesitating to suggest Waves plug-ins-

If you often upgrade your computer, Waves will get ya on plug-in upgrades. You can buy the upgrade plan when you first buy the plug-ins or you can cry later when you need to update your PC/Mac and then your plug-ins stop working.

I just never upgrade my computer. :rofl

+1 about hesitating to suggest Waves plug-ins-

If you often upgrade your computer, Waves will get ya on plug-in upgrades. You can buy the upgrade plan when you first buy the plug-ins or you can cry later when you need to update your PC/Mac and then your plug-ins stop working.

I just never upgrade my computer. :rofl

Yeah well, it's really only an issue for dumb ass Mac users like me. Under Windows, you can usually install versions several years (or even almost decades) old, especially with their classics there's hardly any need to upgrade (unless your OS isn't compatible anymore, which, as said, really only is an issue with macOS).

Yeah well, it's really only an issue for dumb ass Mac users like me. Under Windows, you can usually install versions several years (or even almost decades) old, especially with their classics there's hardly any need to upgrade (unless your OS isn't compatible anymore, which, as said, really only is an issue with macOS).

Ahhhhh, yeah, I’m a dumb ass Mac user. :rofl

As said, me too.
And if it wasn't for Logic, I'd be back on Windows by now (even if I quite like macOS). The stunts Apple is pulling off regularly are just embarassing.

I’m still on a 2017 iMac I haven’t updated since I bought (refurbished). I have no clue what Apple is up to these days. My iPhone/iPad update on their own, but whatever they’re updating has zero effect on anything I use on them. There’s probably all kinds of apps available in each device that would make my life easier somehow, but I don’t really care, I just want these devices to do what I need them to do when I want them to, consistently. So I don’t fuck with them, they don‘t fuck with me. :rofl

Back