IK Multimedia Tonex Cab

The iLoud Micros sound huge in about a 3’ x 3’ listening position on a table or desk. Absolutely love mine.
Could you tell if Cliff accurately modeled the 47uF snub crossover though? Not sure if the cone cry parameter would translate to the iLoud subwoofers.

Could you tell if Cliff accurately modeled the 47uF snub crossover though? Not sure if the cone cry parameter would translate to the iLoud subwoofers.
Not sure what any of that means, but they don’t have subwoofers and roll off at about 100Hz.

Not sure what any of that means, but they don’t have subwoofers and roll off at about 100Hz.
There was a frequent flier elsewhere who was always going on about things not having accurate low end response then posted a pic of his monitoring rig which consisted of some of these iLoud things. I don't care how "good" they are; you aren't going to be able judge the accuracy level of a Triple Rectifier and all the low end pumping out of full stack when you are judging that through a 1.5" woofer.

:wat :bag:rofl

There was a frequent flier elsewhere who was always going on about things not having accurate low end response then posted a pic of his monitoring rig which consisted of some of these iLoud things. I don't care how "good" they are; you aren't going to be able judge the accuracy level of a Triple Rectifier and all the low end pumping out of full stack when you are judging that through a 1.5" woofer.

In my experience, monitor (or home speaker) size should fit the listening area and position. With the Micros, you absolutely HAVE to sit about 3-4’ from them. Otherwise you’ll lose lots of information. Yes, the Micros aren’t going to shake your pant legs like standing in front of a 4x12, but you should be able to hear everything down to about 100Hz IF they’re properly set up. Any lower and a subwoofer is an absolute must.

I have them at about 3’ apart with my ears about 3’ back. I can hear test tones clearly all the way down to their advertised frequency response.

Listening position and room are everything.

For context:
IMG_1077.jpeg

If there’s a way to hobble something and upsell full functionality, there is no company more guilty of this than IK. (And I say this as someone who thinks their stuff is pretty good. But their nickel and dime tactics always make me feel gross about buying their stuff.)
This kind of answers my question of possibly buying their Axe I/O and ToneX Max/A5 Max bundle. I was contemplating it, but I think I'll pass.

If there’s a way to hobble something and upsell full functionality, there is no company more guilty of this than IK. (And I say this as someone who thinks their stuff is pretty good. But their nickel and dime tactics always make me feel gross about buying their stuff.)

^^^ Agreed. Always put me off too.

My first IK product was/is the Tonex Pedal - and now - to their credit - and most unlike IK - they have changed the Licensing so a Tonex Pedal Owner now *can* resell the Pedal and Transfer the ToneMax License - only 2 conditions - the seller [or buyer] needs to pay a $20 Transfer fee and the Pedal Seller cant resell it for 90 days from purchase.

From IK, this is a massive change for the better.

Ben

The iLoud Micros sound huge in about a 3’ x 3’ listening position on a table or desk. Absolutely love mine.
Yea same here. There is something really well done in their design. It makes me very hopeful for this new ‘cab’. And I can always sell it and chalk it up to ‘experience tax’ if I’m wrong.

if they are powered I’m in the front of the line to buy, if not I may step sideways and wait for some of you to test the bleeding edge of technology and see what you think.

Both of these are insane.
I'd agree it would be better if these 2 conditions weren't there, but I maybe wouldn't regard them as "insane".

This is a substantial improvement from Day 1 Tonex Release, where the software could not be sold/re-licensed ... now that has changed almost fully - albeit subject to these 2 limitations - I'd say at worst its a pretty excellent change / improvement.

But that's just me.

Ben

My first IK product was/is the Tonex Pedal - and now - to their credit - and most unlike IK - they have changed the Licensing so a Tonex Pedal Owner now *can* resell the Pedal and Transfer the ToneMax License - only 2 conditions - the seller [or buyer] needs to pay a $20 Transfer fee and the Pedal Seller cant resell it for 90 days from purchase.

How kind of them!

Speaking of speakers and Bass, etc... there are a lot of times where I

That’s just someone being a dumba** doesn’t say anything about the product one way or another, of course. Anyone with any sense would understand they are making a significant trade off with a 3in speaker at a relatively low wattage.

On topic, I will say, for the Tone X speaker it looks a bit smaller than I would hope, so it may involve a size trade off too.

Back