If you’re considering a modeler, you should probably read this first

I had the same problem, using my preferred monitoring solution, which is still headphones. But I refused to think the problem was the Axe III. I knew I needed to do something different, but didn't know what.

The problem I was hearing was that top-end 'fizz.' It drove me crazy, until I listened very carefully to my guitar through my Mesa DR. It was there too. Hmmm...

So I used high cuts rather aggressively, along with a Global EQ correction to help "flatten" the cans, and I liked the tone better. But it wasn't until my DT880's took a shit and I bought a set of AT M50x phones that I noticed a much better sound hitting my ears. That fizz was still there, but it seemed more realistic to what I was used to hearing.

And now I love the tone. I haven't lowered my expectations; I've just adapted my ears to enjoy the tone of what an amp sounds like, as if it were mic'd and played back.

And I can't help but think, when I read over and over, "Oh I sold the FM3 and went back to my amp and pedals," that although that person may be happier, they're still missing so much more of what they could have, had they been willing to work with the way the system is designed.

I had the same problem, using my preferred monitoring solution, which is still headphones. But I refused to think the problem was the Axe III. I knew I needed to do something different, but didn't know what.

The problem I was hearing was that top-end 'fizz.' It drove me crazy, until I listened very carefully to my guitar through my Mesa DR. It was there too. Hmmm...

So I used high cuts rather aggressively, along with a Global EQ correction to help "flatten" the cans, and I liked the tone better. But it wasn't until my DT880's took a shit and I bought a set of AT M50x phones that I noticed a much better sound hitting my ears. That fizz was still there, but it seemed more realistic to what I was used to hearing.

And now I love the tone. I haven't lowered my expectations; I've just adapted my ears to enjoy the tone of what an amp sounds like, as if it were mic'd and played back.

And I can't help but think, when I read over and over, "Oh I sold the FM3 and went back to my amp and pedals," that although that person may be happier, they're still missing so much more of what they could have, had they been willing to work with the way the system is designed.
No experience with the DT’s, but those AT’s rule. I have a pair, and it definitely changed things for me, when playing through cans.

Honestly, that was my experience with CLRs, or as close as I could get. I had a pair that I ran in stereo.

I figured from day one that the monitoring source was critical so I didn't buy a "FRFR" monitor immediately. I did a ton of research and eventually settled on a pair of CLRs as well.

For lower volume monitoring I eventually bought a pair of Presonus Eris 4.5s.

I'm really happy with both. Do they provide an indistinguishable experience from an amp in the room? No, but the experience is still great.

I'm still struggling with headphones. I get ear fatigue and they feel uncomfortable on my head after a short while. I'm hesitant to buy a variety in search of the ones that will work best for me but that's probably the only way I'd fine the ones that are ideal for my purposes.

I'm still struggling with headphones. I get ear fatigue and they feel uncomfortable on my head after a short while. I'm hesitant to buy a variety in search of the ones that will work best for me but that's probably the only way I'd fine the ones that are ideal for my purposes.
I get little to no fatigue from open-back headphones. I like my Sennheiser HD 600s.

I am 100% convinced that in the age we live in gear and the sounds are seldom the issue---even if we all get hung up
on them as if they are.

:hmm

:cop

Bad Cop out!

:beer
Half Baked Boo GIF

Despite what the morons at the other place Say, I do want to try one of these for sure.
Well I can say they are great for my needs
I have not used the speaker modeling I prefer my trusty IR and Dynacabs
I use them as what you would call "FRFR" mode
I can't say if they are like 4x12 since ive never owned any but they have great response
Wood cabinets, 12 inch Coaxial Eminence/Celestion, standard Class D amp
Whats not to like? If thats the route you choose?

Three hundred a pair? Ouch!

I just ordered another pair of Sony MDR 7506s. $99 online.
I've had 4 pair of the Sony's from around 2005-2010. 2 failed after a few years (bad chord design) and the other 2 I ended up giving away. They worked fine for tracking and general listening, but for mixing or critical listening they weren't that great. The AKG K240's are much better and cheaper. The padding wears out over time though.
But I'd rather invest in some high quality phones for mixing and editing long hours without fatigue. It's worth it, especially if you go with a set that has replacement parts easy to get.

What would be a decent under $100 pair of closed back headphones to use with my FM3?
Looking for recommendations .

Back