If you’re considering a modeler, you should probably read this first

That sounds a Lot like Strat Talk Forum have you been there?

:ROFLMAO:
Modelers much like escalators suck !!!
1695465246151.gif

It's almost like Eric is tired of repeating himself, trying to talk really slowly for those who just aren't getting it for the umpteen-millionth time. Only, instead of a whole post to copypasta, there's just the link to this blog.

I'd have to imagine it is exhausting. :sofa

At the Fractal Forum there is an endless series of threads about headphones, FRFRs, AITRs, and
they are all endlessly repetitive. .... and have had a longer run than Cats did on Broadway.

+1 on the JCM800/James F connection, got a chuckle out of that.

I've got a Helix LT (and Native) and just use it with headphones or through the line in an a THR10c. I guess I'm either not very exacting or have lousy ears because both are fine for me with the caveat being that in trying to save what hearing I have left I tend to play at pretty low volumes. Everything DI said in the blog made perfect sense though, just seems that at lowish volumes the push-the-air-molecules part of the equation seems less significant to me.

I love my FM9, enough that I question even having tube amps anymore, for my situation. However, for amplification it’s an utter pain in the ass.

Problem I bet many people make is buying a pile of shit "FRFR" like the Headrush, and think “welp, that’s no good. Modelers suck.”

But even if you’re willing to drop coin on a good "FRFR", which one? The expensive ones are all flavor of the month shit. “Ooh, the CLR. Ooh, the EV. Ooh, Friedman.“

It can be daunting, and frustrating.

I love my FM9, enough that I question even having tube amps anymore, for my situation. However, for amplification it’s an utter pain in the ass.

Problem I bet many people make is buying a pile of shit "FRFR" like the Headrush, and think “welp, that’s no good. Modelers suck.”

But even if you’re willing to drop coin on a good "FRFR", which one? The expensive ones are all flavor of the month shit. “Ooh, the CLR. Ooh, the EV. Ooh, Friedman.“

I was looking at CLRs this morning :bag

I have dreadful FM9 horn.

At home electric is mostly through a DSL40CR.

When I go out to small places where I'm just doing a few songs solo I just take a Boss GT1 of all things.

I hate it.

Everyone in the audience tells me it sounds great.

I have the horn for an FM9 something terrible. But my audience rate a GT1. I guess it's just as well I'd be getting it for me 🤣

I get amazing tones through an Headrush. :sofa

Maybe I am an outlier. Or just below average ears. :idk

Get great tones through studio monitors, too. Also great into the FX Return of a Tube Amp then into Guitar Cabs.

My least favourite tones were using a Mesa 50/50 power and then into Cabs. I think the Mesa is not entirely
neutral, though, and was coloring things too much.

I ain't chasing wedges pushing a grand, though. No fucking way. Just don't see a reason to. Can only sniff
one cork at a time anyways. :LOL:

I want something that sounds like my stupid studio monitors, but bigger/louder. Apparently, that’s a lot to ask.
Same thought process. I like my Kalis but I want something I can shake the posters off the walls with that isn't a half stack from time to time

I get amazing tones through an Headrush. Maybe I am an outlier. Or just below average ears. :idk
I HATE IT. I dunno dude. I’ve got a bunch of friends with Fractals, and some love the HR and think I’m nuts. Others agree with me. Flat isn’t flat. Shit is still subjective.

The GT1000 sounded a billion times better through my Alesis 112 (aka og Headrush 112) than any other modeler by a landslide. That Boss cocked wah was perfection through it.

IMO Headrush is missing the goldilocks 10" form factor. 12" is too boomy and not very direct by nature, 8" is too boomy because they seem to compensate too much for low end lack via DSP.
I've got an Alto TS310 that I'm absolutely happy with soundwise (as it shows now, the build quality could be better, pots are scratchy and seem to be of the super cheap variety) and from all that is known, HR and Alto cabs share a whole lot of technical things (apart from the input section, they seem to be pretty much identical).

There's an EV here in the FS section. Pretty solid and LOUDER THAN HELL for the task at hand.

I'm probably going to go back to Tele and Bad Cat GAS instead as that's way more fun :bag

Back