Ian Mother F'ing Thornley

la szum

Goatlord
This man. Oh my Lord. There are so few guys like him who can write, play guitar in a world-class fashion, and sing
their cajones off. He takes a backseat to no one, in my opinion.

I was watching this video below where he trades off with the Pedal Steel player. So sick. You can see how much
fun they are having (5:00 and on). Then Andy Wood comes in and burns the house down at the end. I tend not to
dig the noodles too much. But these noodles are super tasty in this context! :chef

Last edited:
Great singer and player. The first Big Wreck album (mayyyyyyyybe the second?) is all I ever need for my tastes, though. They seemed to get overproduced and less rocking after the self-titled.

I should add that, for me; that first album is a unsung masterpiece compared to other records from higher profile bands of the same era.

Last edited:
I’m a huge Ian fan, his solo stuff is all killer as well. Guy just delivers on all fronts; songwriting, singing, playing, tone. It’s rare to get all that wrapped in one dude.

I would LOVE to try one of those! Heard the necks are pretty chunky.
I wanted one for a good while right after they came out but never bought one online to try because I hate shipping guitars back and the neck I wasn't sure about either because even though I'm not a small dude... I do have Trump hands for some reason. I look at guys with super long fingers like Ian in envy at times. Anyway the GC in Nashville has an awesome platinum room managed by a great guy and he ordered one when they became a Suhr dealer so I drove down there to play it. It's really not at all as chunky as you think because if it's more "V" shape. Even for someone like me it's actually comfortable. My other two Suhr's have a more thin neck and jumping back and forth doesn't bother me so it's IMHO not that beefy of a neck like say an older Les Paul or Fender with a telephone pole.

I wanted one for a good while right after they came out but never bought one online to try because I hate shipping guitars back and the neck I wasn't sure about either because even though I'm not a small dude... I do have Trump hands for some reason. I look at guys with super long fingers like Ian in envy at times. Anyway the GC in Nashville has an awesome platinum room managed by a great guy and he ordered one when they became a Suhr dealer so I drove down there to play it. It's really not at all as chunky as you think because if it's more "V" shape. Even for someone like me it's actually comfortable. My other two Suhr's have a more thin neck and jumping back and forth doesn't bother me so it's IMHO not that beefy of a neck like say an older Les Paul or Fender with a telephone pole.

I’ve recently developed a taste for telephone poles. :rofl

Being Canadian, I heard a lot of Big Wreck in the 90s and always appreciated his abilities, for sure.

Of the more recent stuff, ie, ten years ago, haha, I dug this one a lot. Love the low-tuned guitars and tone, reminds me of Big Sugar (another “Big”-named Canadian band you should check out, if you haven't, especially the early stuff.)

I first heard Big Wreck back when “The Oaf” was being played on WAAF nonstop. I didn’t even hear “That Song” or “Blown Wide Open” until I rediscovered BW about 6 years ago.

Actually, that’d be a fun sound to dial into the AxeFX, that delay/tremolo sound on “The Oaf”.

A while back I suggested to both Ian and Pete Torn they need to do an album together called Gettin’ Thorny.

I first heard Big Wreck back when “The Oaf” was being played on WAAF nonstop. I didn’t even hear “That Song” or “Blown Wide Open” until I rediscovered BW about 6 years ago.

Actually, that’d be a fun sound to dial into the AxeFX, that delay/tremolo sound on “The Oaf”.

A while back I suggested to both Ian and Pete Torn they need to do an album together called Gettin’ Thorny.
That first album fucking rocks.

Back