I Wish Gibson would F*#k off with this crap

I’ve never set foot in one .

Eyes What GIF

Idgaf who copies who from a legal perspective. There’s a market for everything, including counterfeits, but the cream rises to the top.

All of Dean’s and Ibanez’s coolest shit are the ones that aren’t copies.

ESP and Schecter are great at making mall-ninja versions of the classics.

And PRS gets a pass because they’ve improved on everything that Gibson has built, while still carving their own groove.

:sofa

Is a PRS single cut even a viable alternative to a Les Paul? Does it do the thing?” Or is it own flavor?
A 594 is a perfect alternative to me. The construction is essentially a Les Paul, but the strings are actually taking an appropriate trip from the posts to the nut.

Scarf joints on the cheaper models are debatable, but so is having to use a router and Titebond if the alternative fails. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Is a PRS single cut even a viable alternative to a Les Paul? Does it do the thing?” Or is it own flavor?

I vote own flavor. I was looking for a more Modern LP and a new Gibson Custom was too spendy,
so I hunted down a few PRS SCs and settled on one. None of them had the LP flavor. :idk

Great guitars. But different. Even the Gibson lawyers said you had to be an "idiot" to confuse the two. :LOL:

I vote own flavor. I was looking for a more Modern LP and a new Gibson Custom was too spendy,
so I hunted down a few PRS SCs and settled on one. None of them had the LP flavor. :idk

Great guitars. But different. Even the Gibson lawyers said you had to be an "idiot" to confuse the two. :LOL:

Another vote for flavor. I’ve played PRS that sound like a variation on a LP, but I’ve never played a PRS that sounded like a LP.

Personally I’ve never played a PRS I liked the sound or feel of as much as a LP

Agreed. People seem to want to compare PRS to Gibson all the time for better or worse, and they’re completely different beasts imo. Def their own thing , and that’s a good thing as far as I’m concerned

I think it’s lame, and I agree with Watt that I think they’d be better off supporting builders and creating a sense of community rather than wasting time on all the legal garbage. But I don’t really care enough to get bent out of shape over it.

I mean, the outcome here was that a small builder came up with a cool original design, sold their first one 3 seconds after listing it for sale, and have people waiting in line for more.

Hardly seems like the end of the world. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I mean, it’s not the end of the world. I thought it was worthy of a post whilst I drop the kids off at the pool. There’s that gray area between where I can be lighting shit on fire, and I’m delighted. The gray area.

That's why smart builders, change the angle of the V(US Masters/Regenberg) or shorten a horn(Jackson). It doesn't take much creativity to beat a copyright.
That being said, I can't stand what Gibson has become over the years. Poor quality control and high prices based on reputation. Old ones are a good investment if your looking for a great guitar. Nothing they make these days if worth the extra money in my opinion.
My best LP type guitars are not Gibsons, nor are my SG type or ES. I'll put my '89 Yamaha Weddington against anything they've made recently.

To be fair to Gibson --- the Flying V is probably the most recognizable guitar shape ever... seems a no-brainer to try and put pressure on other companies. Not say I agree with their approach in the last years though.

To be fair to Gibson --- the Flying V is probably the most recognizable guitar shape ever... seems a no-brainer to try and put pressure on other companies. Not say I agree with their approach in the last years though.
Sure, but they should’ve lost their right to defend It when they chose not to, decades prior.

Back