I bought the cheapest Tele I could find

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
$71.54 shipped. Even included a padded gig bag, 10ft cable, and a strap LOL. I cannot believe the bang for buckness of this thing. Nice snooth fret edges, neck feels good, solid poplar body with Canadian Maple neck and Pao Ferro fretboard. Absolutely needs a set up but the neck is true and it's a dead quiet guitar even using it with higher gain stuff. Tuners are actually decent and the pots feel nice n smooth with good taper on th volume but terrible taper on the tone pot.

SO I have some stuff kicking around I am going to upgrade it with. I also plan the take a belt sander to the headstock and round off the edge a little and also sand off the Donner logo and put "Slumcaster" decal there (even may scribble it with a sharpie to make it look even cheesier. The satin finish on the back of the neck is going bye bye too and I probably stain it. Also ordered a black pick guard for it.

Guesstimate by the time I am done will be well under 300 bucks and a few hours of my time. I wanted something super cheap to challenge myself. I want to see if I can make this thing into a real player. As it sits I could get through a gig with it.

Overall super happy with my project guitar score.

Last edited:
394550133_2696781520477223_6861242839078241005_n.jpg

I'm not always a cheapskate. There are 2 left handed G&L Teles locally right now and the guy wants 900 a pop for em. I could have bought them but why? I am not a Tele guy. I just want to have one that plays good. Never been a collector type either so I dont GAF about resale value. My poor wife though...when I croak she's gonna have a hell of a time unloading my cheap stuff.

The eternal problem with cheap crap. No one but you ever wants it.

I am guilty of this and present day me is pissed at past day me for
"scoring a deal" on some piece of junk I have to haul around with
me all my remaining days.

Or.....

200.gif

I have plenty of non cheap stuff too. I'm just on a cheap kick right now.

Why not just get parts if you want to practice you tech skills.
Still usually works out to way more expensive than buying something like OP got, even if you go the "mystery kit from eBay" route.

Since importing things is expensive, I looked at what e.g Rockinger in Europe offers and I would be about 500 euros in for a Tele body and neck alone...or I could just buy a complete 150-300 euro Harley Benton off Thomann and replace parts instead.

I have a Squire Affinity Tele, that I bought used from GC for $89. The neck was awesome and just needed the fret sprout dealt with and a new nut.
I had brass compensated saddles that I installed by drilling out the bridge plate and better pots, switch, staggered lockers, and pickups, all from my life long collection of parts.(one man's hording is another's investment in futures :bag )

It's a really nice guitar now with little effort and sensible upgrades. Still into it for under $200. As good if not better than some MIM's

Still usually works out to way more expensive than buying something like OP got, even if you go the "mystery kit from eBay" route.

Since importing things is expensive, I looked at what e.g Rockinger in Europe offers and I would be about 500 euros in for a Tele body and neck alone...or I could just buy a complete 150-300 euro Harley Benton off Thomann and replace parts instead.
I realise but you at least have control and don't end up throwing half of what you just bought away. Also the results can be exponentially better. If I wanted a budget tele neck and body I would get Hosco ones and at least all fender compatible parts would fit.

"mystery kit from eBay

Yup. I have seen and handled several and they are total junk. Neck pockets cut wrong/too big, bridge routes are off etc etc. This Tele, the neck and bridge are true and those are the biggest concerns for me. Having it a few days now it's a truly fantastic template for some upgrades.

Yup. I have seen and handled several and they are total junk. Neck pockets cut wrong/too big, bridge routes are off etc etc. This Tele, the neck and bridge are true and those are the biggest concerns for me. Having it a few days now it's a truly fantastic template for some upgrades.

Hey Bob, Have you seen these by any chance ??

Back