My cheapest Guitar

How many S have you got?
I’m down to one now after I realized that I had a problem. At one point I had three of these. This one is dead mint, so I sold the rest.

IMG_0853.jpeg

My cheapest would be my old Kramer Std (on the left) that i paid slightly over $100 back in the late 90s IIRC. Not a bad single cut at all

Attachments

• 1402297_10151700192341511_1977582132_o.jpg
    1402297_10151700192341511_1977582132_o.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 6
The old through bolt Floyd nut sucks because it tends to lead to hairline cracks in the back. Surprised yours hasn't got 'em.
Only if you over-tighten the bolts...
Otherwise, I can totally see that guitar needing nothing more than better pickups and electronics.
The original IBZUSA branded pickups are actually quite nice DiMarzio pickups.

I even sent a couple of the stacked humbuckers to DiMarzio and they "re-magnetized" them for me for free.

The original IBZUSA branded pickups are actually quite nice DiMarzio pickups.
I'm not sure a S series from back then would come with those. I had a RG550 from 1989 and it came with those ghastly Ibanez V-series humbuckers. I feel like at that point Ibanez had already started employing some tin ear guy to design their pickups.

I'm not sure a S series from back then would come with those. I had a RG550 from 1989 and it came with those ghastly Ibanez V-series humbuckers. I feel like at that point Ibanez had already started employing some tin ear guy to design their pickups.
Not sure about 92 but 86-89 definitely did. I have and have had many...

Edit:

1992 440S came with V2 and S1 pickups... So, yeah, not a fan of those from what I remember. Or the V7 and V8.

I have a Cort G250 which is not only my cheapest guitar but it's amongst the best!

Not sure about 92 but 86-89 definitely did. I have and have had many...

Edit:

1992 440S came with V2 and S1 pickups... So, yeah, not a fan of those from what I remember. Or the V7 and V8.
Mine had V2 and S2 so yes they had to go. As for the bolts; they work far better than screws BUT the 17mm with no volute is why you get cracked ones, not over tightening.
The best ever from Ibanez is;
IMG_2033.jpeg

This is a 2001 RG3120 it is also on newer Jems.

Mine had V2 and S2 so yes they had to go. As for the bolts; they work far better than screws BUT the 17mm with no volute is why you get cracked ones, not over tightening.
The best ever from Ibanez is;
View attachment 21551
This is a 2001 RG3120 it is also on newer Jems.
I guess I got lucky. Of all the 17mm Wizard necks I had I think only 1 had some light cracks...

A few years back when nobody wanted rock guitars I picked up this for £165 including a Hiscox case that retails at £149 .

View attachment 21499
It’s a 1992 S440 made in Japan. I swapped out the pickups and wiring but it’s pretty much mint condition and plays perfectly. I also gave it a general once over with a fret end dress.
View attachment 21500
I am a Frank Gambale fan so this is great. It is the exact same model that his original Sabre was before he modded it.
View attachment 21501
Original Edge working perfectly and practically impossible to put out of tune.
View attachment 21502
Old style bolt through.
View attachment 21503
Quarter sawn maple
View attachment 21504
Practically the only dent.
Old style square neck
View attachment 21505
Unfortunately gone are the days when you could buy this kind of stuff super cheap but there are always bargain pieces around if you know what you’re looking at .
What is your best cheap guitar?

Hot damn man you stole that thing, it is a stunner. My favorite trem of all time.

Mine is a Yamaha AES-620, now discontinued.

20140220_135748.jpg

The pic is not my own guitar, but it is identical. Bought used for like 300 euro, comes with a Duncan JB pickup and an alnico Yamaha pickup. This latter is very good for jazz, but since I am not into that I swapped it for a Duncan 59. It is a perfect rock machine and it sounds beautifully, maybe more with a PRS than Gibson vibe. It has the worst pots though, they're crackling like crazy. Comes with the low price, I guess.

Yeah what happened with my 1989 RG550 (it has the really thin original Wizard neck) was that I put it on a stand, then heard a "creak" sound. Took me a while to spot that it was hairline cracks in that area. I just wicked some superglue in there, wiped off excess, sanded it flat when dry. No issues for the 15 years I owned it.

A few years back when nobody wanted rock guitars I picked up this for £165 including a Hiscox case that retails at £149 .

View attachment 21499
It’s a 1992 S440 made in Japan. I swapped out the pickups and wiring but it’s pretty much mint condition and plays perfectly. I also gave it a general once over with a fret end dress.
View attachment 21500
I am a Frank Gambale fan so this is great. It is the exact same model that his original Sabre was before he modded it.
View attachment 21501
Original Edge working perfectly and practically impossible to put out of tune.
View attachment 21502
Old style bolt through.
View attachment 21503
Quarter sawn maple
View attachment 21504
Practically the only dent.
Old style square neck
View attachment 21505
Unfortunately gone are the days when you could buy this kind of stuff super cheap but there are always bargain pieces around if you know what you’re looking at .
What is your best cheap guitar?
It’s official…I’m a spoiled rat with nothing but 1st world problems to deal with….my gigbags are more expensive then that ;)

Back