My cheapest Guitar

Eagle

Shredder
A few years back when nobody wanted rock guitars I picked up this for £165 including a Hiscox case that retails at £149 .

IMG_3516.jpeg

It’s a 1992 S440 made in Japan. I swapped out the pickups and wiring but it’s pretty much mint condition and plays perfectly. I also gave it a general once over with a fret end dress.
IMG_3510.jpeg

I am a Frank Gambale fan so this is great. It is the exact same model that his original Sabre was before he modded it.
IMG_3511.jpeg

Original Edge working perfectly and practically impossible to put out of tune.
IMG_3514.jpeg

Old style bolt through.
IMG_3513.jpeg

Quarter sawn maple
IMG_3515.jpeg

Practically the only dent.
Old style square neck
IMG_3512.jpeg

Unfortunately gone are the days when you could buy this kind of stuff super cheap but there are always bargain pieces around if you know what you’re looking at .
What is your best cheap guitar?

That's a beauty, awesome color! I'd love to have one just like that.

What is your best cheap guitar?

Has to be my MIJ, '86 Squier. Paid $100 for it around 12 yrs ago. It had been played a lot before that so already had body and neck dings. It feels so easy to play and sounds awesome. 7.25 radius, and I've refretted with dunlop 6000s and updated pickups/hardware. It's certainly one of my favorites to play.

IMG_1613.jpeg

I have always had a soft spot for the Ibanez Sabre. I knew a guy many years ago that had one that I used to love to play. For some reason I never bought one for myself though. I am not sure why. I think they are great guitars.

These 2 were pawnshop rescues and both cost me $277 each, and are my cheapest guitars in my collection.

The ‘90 MIK Epiphone Sheraton II was already upgraded with a pair of 80’s SD Jazz/neck and JB/bridge pickups, Schaller tuners and Schaller stop tailpiece.

The ‘03 Epiphone MIJ Elite LP Custom is all original with USA pickups and hardware .

IMG_2009.jpeg

Man I wish I could find an MIJ for under 200....

My satin SH vela was the cheapest in my collection right now...

unnamed-2.jpg

Technically through a thrift store find followed by a series of trades I ended up with my S2 594 for about $350 total out of pocket, but I don't think that's the spirit of the thread lol

The old through bolt Floyd nut sucks because it tends to lead to hairline cracks in the back. Surprised yours hasn't got 'em. Otherwise, I can totally see that guitar needing nothing more than better pickups and electronics.

1712856630341.png

The cheapest guitar I currently own is this Fenix Les Paul copy I bought many years ago. Made in South Korea in 1990. It's a mix of LP Standard and Custom styling. I think it might have been some European store's line because I have never seen these outside Europe. There are "Fenix by Young Chang" Strats and Teles out there and I know there's a bolt-on version of these LPs too. Mine is a set neck.

These came with a surprisingly good spec: Gotoh bridge, tailpiece and tuners, an actual solid flamed maple top instead of a veneer, 2 piece body and 3 piece neck (headstock, neck and small part of the heel). The electronics and pickups were absolutely awful stuff. I put Mastertone active pickups in it, they're high gain but kinda vintage voiced, nothing like EMG or Fishman.

Mostly the guitar is well made with a correct neck angle and decent fretwork, but some of the higher fret inlays are slightly off center. The Gotoh bridge was actually a bit sloppy on the posts, I made a DIY Tonepros mod to fix it and it improved the intonation and tuning stability. I have also replaced the nut with a bone nut and leveled the frets.

I've left it at my parents because I have a way nicer LP style guitar but still like playing the Fenix.

I currently own 10-12 from '87-88. Excellent guitars!

However, they are S-Series or Saber (really only the first few years), not "Sabre" - even though that is also what I called them for many years :)

Music Man makes the Sabre model...
Ah, I guess I used the European spelling of Saber. :)

I currently own 10-12 from '87-88. Excellent guitars!

However, they are S-Series or Saber (really only the first few years), not "Sabre" - even though that is also what I called them for many years :)

Music Man makes the Sabre model...
You are correct. I always get that mixed up. Have owned several over the years. Just sold my last one, a ‘91 540 last year. Amazing guitar but the middle pickup kept attacking the tip of my pick, so I stopped playing it and finally caved and sold it.

My cheapest guitar is an acoustic from Korea, brand name Carlos. I bought it for $20 in 2006 at a garage sale when I moved to the area. It came with a classic Martin blue/green hard case (which alone is worth probably 10 times the price I paid for the guitar)! It has great action (better than my Martin J-40) and the tone, although nothing to brag about, is acceptable. I take this anywhere I am concerned about the environment being an issue for my nicer guitars ;~)) The only other garage sale item I was ever so excited about was a stainless steel mixing bowl that i got for $2 (that was over 30 years ago and I still have and use that bowl)!

Carlos_01.jpg

Back