Hows your scene?

sleewell

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Man I freaking love where I live. I'm sure there are bigger or crazier spots but it's just feels so real here right now. We have so many bands and it seems better than like the few years before covid.

we started having shows at our rehearsal spot about a year ago and they are going off. Strangers are posting online that it's their favorite spot in town which is crazy to me. The last one was total mayhem. We're getting hit up by so many bands wanting to play. It's tough balancing our own band writing and playing shows and hosting shows but that's kinda good problems I guess lol. It's kind of inspiring to rehearse in the same spot you've seen some killer shows, like you have to step your game up or something.

I love going to a show where you know all your friends are going be there and you know the vibe will be fun. Or like driving an hour to another city and randomly seeing friends you didn't know were also going. I know these things don't typically last forever and I'm definitely getting older so I'm just trying to enjoy it while it lasts.

How is your scene?

the walking dead zombie GIF

Scenes aren't what they once were...from what I see these days ...too much corporate and local government BS ironically.

When I was coming up in the 90s, every coffee spot had shows 4 nights a week, then the hall next door did 3 nights, the 4 bars down the road all had full bands and live music...along with several dance clubs.
This doesn't include the self promoted shows at VFW, polish, knights of Columbus, etc halls ad nauseum.

It is nothing like that now.

I am sure for you, near the state Capitol and close to a major university, there are far more choices and chances for a scene. Lucky you!!

Enjoy it, they don't last long, usually about 2 years max.

There’s plenty of bars around here but not a lot of bands anymore. All the bands have been replaced with acoustic acts. Even some of my musician friends who were in bands are doing the acoustic thing. I get it to the point that it’s a lot less hassle for setup and tear down but I have no interest in listening or playing 4 hours of acoustic covers.

There’s plenty of bars around here but not a lot of bands anymore. All the bands have been replaced with acoustic acts. Even some of my musician friends who were in bands are doing the acoustic thing. I get it to the point that it’s a lot less hassle for setup and tear down but I have no interest in listening or playing 4 hours of acoustic covers.
I did the acoustic thing in a 3-piece (me-lead, a rhythm, and bass), and what made it super-fun was that we all sang lead, and had killer harmonies! I even upgraded from a basic Takamine to very nice Taylor 714ce, then added a Taylor 12-string for a few songs. It was a blast while it lasted!

DIY till i die

think we got like 80-90 people out last sat in a tiny spot, same the week before. place was packed. shows were bonkers. i think i got a broken rib which kinda sucks but is totally worth it.

One word: Horrible.

Clubs have been dying away years ago already, Covid did its thing and, most importantly, this is Germany. Serious live music doesn't have a great reputation and/or tradition. Bars and restaurants with live bands playing? Forget about it, just doesn't exist. There's not even a "Margarita Mike's" over here.
Some years ago it looked quite a bit different, though, in some areas you could walk around and there'd possibly be a band playing somewhere. These days it's only happening in dedicated concert venues anymore. No jam sessions anymore, either (apart from some jazz and blues dads).
It's sad, really.

Amazingly enough, just in our neighbourhood, namely the Netherlands, things are a whole lot different. All somewhat bigger towns have their party areas and there's plenty of live clubs next to each other.

Last edited:

This is the real invasion that has been ruining live music that past 20-30 years. :hmm

Remember in the 1990s when "Unplugged" was novel and unique? Not anymore.
Now it is a fucking plague. And I love acoustic music. It's just the economics and
the need for people to want to chat (versus pay attention to a band and/or get
on the floor) as dictated that acoustic solo and duo acts are more viable for places
that have live music these days. It's really rotten here being in the heart of a tourist
area.

Fuck you Ed Sheeran, Jimmy Buffet, and Dave Matthews! Look what you have created! :LOL:

My local scene has been the theater scene for the past 10 years and it’s been a roller coaster. COVID wiped out a lot here, we lost something like 35-40% of the theater companies operating in the area. But it has been growing back. There are a ton of smaller non-traditional companies that have sprung up, and more communities are creating new public spaces for arts that are allowing smaller lower budget productions to be a reality.

The scene used to be dominated by larger companies doing older shows at the few big theaters, but now I’m seeing a lot more small and young companies doing more interesting modern shows at smaller venues.

Overall there are cool and exciting things happening. I just played a quirky modern show that was the inaugural show of a brand new company at an old abandoned furniture store that has been converted into a theater and art galleries and is partially funded by the local city government as a public arts venue.

Back