How many do you use ?

How many amps do you actually use in your Modeler ?

• 1-5

Votes: 36 56.3%
  • 5-10

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • 10-15

Votes: 6 9.4%
  • 20+

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

Stone

Rock Star
While we all love the fact that moare is gooder, how many amps do you actually use in your modeler?
what are you top 5 go to's and most used ?

In my Fractal i use about 10 that I really love, top 5 and in no particular order

1: Marshal Plexi 50 6CA7
2: USA Lead Mid Gain
3: SLO Clean & Lead
4: Tucana Clean & Lead
5: Euro Blue/Red

Cheers
Happy Saturday

Last edited:
Sophia Bush GIF by BuzzFeed

Depends on the modeler. In Helix it’s 5 or less in Fractal it’s 10 to 15. Mainly because there’s a lot of similar amps.

I was a top 5-er for a couple of years..... and really only used a single homemade JCM800 based preset
98.6% of the time.

Now I am a plus 20 guy..... because I realized I wasn't using all of the gifts God gave us. :LOL:

Angle Severe
JPIIC in all versions
Rectos
USA Pre LD2 Red
Junior Blues
1987X Treble
Revv Red1
Wrecker Rocket
Two Stone J35 PAB
Plexi 2204
Solo 100

I'm all over the place

On Fractal, in no particular order:
  • Cornford MK50. Great modded Marshall tones.
  • Diezel VH4 ch 3. I like this for higher gain tones.
  • Plexi 100 Jumped. Can't go wrong with a good Marshall Superlead.
  • Morgan AC-20 Deluxe. This is the closest thing to the Victory VC35 I had. Really nice modernized Vox AC30 type tone.
  • Mesa Lonestar Classic. Clean channel + compressor + reverb, what else do you need? The drive channel is also nice.
  • Soldano SLO 100 Lead channel. Try this with the EV 12L Dyna-Cab. Big, bold, punchy.
  • Nuclear Tone. Folks with FM3/FM9 are missing out on the bias tremolo in this thing. Lovely tweed tones.
  • Fender Super Reverb. The Bassman 4x10 Dyna-cab uses the same speakers as the SR combo so it's a nice match for something that is right between a Deluxe and Twin. Punchier and bolder, but also drives in a nice way.
  • Komet 60. This is great with single coil guitars. Too fat with humbuckers.
  • Fryette Deliverance "More" mode. It doesn't get better than this for high gain "chugga chugga" tones. Don't care for it for anything else tho.
But realistically, the models I use the most are the Cornford, Plexi, Morgan and Lonestar.

I have probably 15 that are in regular rotation, but if I’m recording something and have an overdub idea I’ll often just click random amps from Austin Buddy’s amp presets, a lot of times I’m not even tweaking, I’ll just click until I find a tone I have to tweak the absolute least and that’s had all kinds of amps makes it’s way into songs.

For just dicking around at home I generally use a single preset with one amp model (with varying levels of gain). For the band, I use quite a few as we cover a lot of stuff, 50s through 90s, so I have quite a few song specific presets that are tweaked to sound as close to the original recordings as possible.

I should augment my post to add that I’m currently in the process of creating a “Kitchen Sink Bank”.

I have started off with ten iconic amps (Twin, Deluxe, Tweed, AC-30, Bassman, Plexi, JCM800, Mark IIC+, MarkIV, Recto), and have begun the process of adding the “correct” effects for each.

The idea here is to be able to run a “Kitchen Sink On Steroids” instead of spending the time to create a new preset every time a new song is added to my band’s list, but it will be a bank of ten presets instead of one preset maxed out with effects.

Helix about 5 maybe 8.
Revv Purple
VH4
Archon
SLO
Shiva -EQ'd close to XTC Blue and Red Channel
Deluxe/Twin
Grammatico GSG

Tonex - about 10 - 15. But 5 pretty solidly.
1. Splawn QuickRod
2. 5150 III Stealth El34 or 6L6 depends
3. Cornford Mk50
4. SLO - Clean/Dirt
5. Vibrolux or a Deluxe Reverb
IIC+, Ecstasy/Helios, PT v2 and various other Marshall Plexi through JVM/JCM flavors depending on what strikes me at the time.

I use as many as I can. I like to explore and try to use something different for a show that I’ve never used before.

My top 5 go-to are:
  • Plexi 50w
  • JCM800
  • AC15
  • Vibrolux
  • Mark IV
I also use these a ton:
  • Vibrolux
  • Tremolux
  • 6g4
  • 6g12
  • Fuchs
  • Bad Cat Hot Cat
  • 1987x
  • Mark iic+

1-5 on a regular basis as when I get things dialed in I tend to sit there for quite some time but...it really depends.

For example when I was recently tracking my EP using the FM3, I started off using the FAS Hot Rod model but it wasn't working for me, Gave the Friedman HBE a shot but couldn't get it to work either. Ended up using the FAS Modern and USA Lead Mid Gain Bright (Mark IV) for everything and I've never fancied myself much of a Mesa guy, but there I was. I used the JC120 for clean (like truly clean clean stuff) a bunch as well. But I'm working on something right now that requires a gnarly fuzz tone and have been experimenting with some Tweed amps.

Last edited:
Within the Helix realm of amp models, I generally use..

Guitar:
  1. Essex A30 for clean/EoB quacky tones.
  2. Placater Dirty for Marshall style humbucker crunch.
  3. L6 Badonk for Metal.
  4. Grammatico GSC Preamp for simulating my MT15 Clean channel.
  5. Revv Generator Purple Preamp for simulating my MT15 Lead channel at low gain settings.
  6. L6 Badonk Preamp for simulating my MT15 Lead channel when heavily saturated.
  7. Archetype Clean as a power amp for simulating my MT15.
Bass:
  1. Agua Sledge (usually two in parallel as dirty/clean).
  2. Ampeg SVT-4 PRO
  3. Woody Blue

I'll play around with a few others here and there but the above models are in heaviest rotation.

I've been using these lately for Helix:

WhoWatt100
Brit Plexi Nrm/Brt
Brit Plexi Jump
Cali Rectifire
Line 6 Litigator
PV Panama
Ampeg SVT-4 PRO

5-10 was my answer. But, those amps rotate with others, depending upon my mood that day.

Back