Axe III/FM9: So For All The Hype Over Dual Amps, How Many Really Use Them?

Dual Amps

• I use them, but not together, e.g., for my means of switching

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • Tried them, but really don't use them

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • I have go-to presets that wouldn't be possible without them

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Never really bothered; I get all my tonz I need from the Plexi 100/JP2c+/Whatever

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Other

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters
I use one amp and use scenes to get clean, crunch and OD sounds out of the same amp. I then use my volume knob to get variances within those three. I have never had the need for multiple amp blocks.

Given that the OG Axe-Fx allowed two instances of the amp block, this hardly seems like a major upgrade. FWIW, I used two amp blocks - simultaneously - with some of my Standard's earlier FW revs, because that's what it took for me to get the sound/feel right. Later FW eliminated the need for this, and I haven't used the feature for more than a decade.

I use dual amps split by a stereo chorus often in my Helix for exactly this reason:

(Video should start playing at 9:50 automatically)

It sounds glorious :chef

Same! I use two Plexis/Voltages so I can run stereo effects into the front of them and keep the spread. Effects before amps is the essential tone for big washy genres.

Dual amps is something you think about at work like it should be awesome then you get home and realize it's just not as good and way too much effort lol

Back