Hi! We're the DigiTech/DOD USA Crew!

Welcome back Digitech/DOD! My first pedal ever was the Digitech PDS-1550 Programmable Distortion - loved that thing, wish I still had it. I do still have a few other Digitech/DOD gems in the collection though, and I'm excited to add more now that you're back (y)

Wondering if there's any way currently to get support/spare parts for existing products, or if that's in limbo at the moment? Thanks.

Great to have you guys here. Just went through the memory banks to remember past DOD/DigiTech gear I've had.

fx50.jpeg

s-l500.jpg

rp3.jpg

17276.f.jpg

I know the chances are fairly slim with this just due to product manufacturing, but if there’s any place to ask…

I know there’s a lot of legacy users of older Digitech gear; 2101’s are in some rigs (Billy Howerdell is a huge fan and uses one in tandem with his AxeFX, or at least he was until recently) and I’ve got a broken WH-2 that I won’t throw away because I hope someday someone will be able to fix it.

It would be REALLY cool if there were some kind of ‘legacy gear repair shop’ where people who had broken down units could send them in to be worked on. Like I said above, I know it’s probably hard to source parts that were made 30 years ago, but figured I’d throw it out there anyway. I also had an old Digitech RPD-1900 rack unit and an PDS-1002 delay pedal that just quit working but I eventually tossed as I gave up on the idea of getting them fixed. The nostalgia freak in me would love to have those again to recreate the rig of my youth!

How interesting, we were literally just talking about this! I don't know how we would pull it off, or to what extent, but we agree that this would be a cool thing to offer.

I know I’m not the only one with a WH-2 sitting in a closet!

Side note- about a month ago someone listed a WH-1 on Reverb for $325, I stupidly debated buying it as I already have a WH-5 and the Fractal stuff, but I’m a Whammy NUT….the whole two minutes I hesitated, it was gone. :cry:

For current stuff yes, we'll likely figure out something. Probably be available on the website. We do have power supplies on there now, I'll see if I can figure out what else we can put up there.
Cool, thanks - I have a DOD Mini Volume with shredded gears that I'm really anxious to get back on my board... If there's any way to obtain replacement gears for those, that would be amazing. I tried getting a brand new pedal from a dealer to replace it, but more recent batches seem to have an issue with low/weak output (dealer exchanged the first one they shipped me, but second one has the same issue so it seems like it might be inherent with the latest rev of these pedals?). I also tried messaging through the contact form on Digitech.com, but no response (I figured things are in flux so that's not unexpected).

Digging the pictures of Digitech/DOD gear - here's a few I've got on my board/hanging around in the studio:
AVLab_Digitech-DODpedals2.jpg

I would buy this pedal right now:

Compact Drop/Capo/Whammy:
  • Normal stompbox size like existing Drop pedal
  • No treadle - let me use my own expression pedal or MIDI
  • Not just drop tunings! My only complaint with the Drop pedal is that I can't go up.
  • For MIDI in, use 1/8" TRS MIDI (please use the Boss/Roland standard) - accept PC to dictate number of steps up/down or the Whammy config
  • When in a Whammy mode, support auto engage/disengage from the expression/MIDI input

Cool, thanks - I have a DOD Mini Volume with shredded gears that I'm really anxious to get back on my board... If there's any way to obtain replacement gears for those, that would be amazing.

I agree, though making them user replaceable is an issue. The clocking and lithium greasing of these isn't a simple process.

I tried getting a brand new pedal from a dealer to replace it, but more recent batches seem to have an issue with low/weak output (dealer exchanged the first one they shipped me, but second one has the same issue so it seems like it might be inherent with the latest rev of these pedals?).

This is the first I'm hearing of this, I'll have to dive into it. Thanks for letting me know. Although if it isn't getting clocked correctly at the factory it may not being going all the way to the end of the forward throw, which would result in lower output.

Last edited:
I agree, though making them user replaceable is an issue. The clocking and lithium greasing of these isn't a simple process.

This is the first I'm hearing of this, I'll have to dive into it. Thanks for letting me know.
Understood - I figured that might be the case. I'm open to any options for repairing/replacing this pedal though, as it's the only volume pedal that will really fit the space I have on my board (as you can see from the pic in my previous post)

I made some videos to document the issue with the newer ones - I can DM you a link if that would be helpful.

Hello Gear Forum Denizens! You will be hanging out with the new DigiTech/DOD USA Crew today. The team consists of:

Jim Pennock
Roger Johnsen
Parker Coons
Matt Calder
Tom Cram

What's up?
Hi, i just want to say that I really love the Whammy DT pedal, even though I haven't afford one myself. That being said, I want to ask if there will be another Whammy DT pedal model, but specifically for bass guitars, in the works? Like the combination of the Bass Whammy and the Drop Tune Pedal that bass players can also use to transpose up and down, like the Whammy DT?

Hi, i just want to say that I really love the Whammy DT pedal, even though I haven't afford one myself. That being said, I want to ask if there will be another Whammy DT pedal model, but specifically for bass guitars, in the works? Like the combination of the Bass Whammy and the Drop Tune Pedal that bass players can also use to transpose up and down, like the Whammy DT?

You are literally the first, and only, person to ask me for this. No joke.

ER=238]@Tom Von Kramm[/USER] Not sure what you can say publicly; but I'd love to know the story behind you guys getting back together - I'm interested in the people stories as much as the gear.
I'll take this one. After Harman shut down all the Utah based engineering teameffort I decided to start a consulting business (Jim&i) helping various audio companies, and one of my clients was Harman. I was in the middle of a project with Harman and I got the word about
@Tom Von Kramm Not sure what you can say publicly; but I'd love to know the story behind you guys getting back together - I'm interested in the people stories as much as the gear.
I'll take this one. After Harman shut down the Utah based engineering team I decided to start a consulting business (Jim&i) helping various audio companies with product design and one of my clients was Harman. I was in the middle of a project with Harman and I got the word about DigiTech being sold from Marc Kellom, the VP of Harman Pro Engineering. Marc said, “Jim, your name kept coming up during the due diligence portion of the sale and I hope you are OK with it because I gave them your contact info, they will be calling you”. (I have been involved with DigiTech since the beginning of the brand so my name is on a few patents, DSP code and custom ASIC chip designs) I laughed and said “sure, I would be glad to talk with them.”

A couple of days later I got two different phone calls, one was from Harman asking if they could hire me to help them separate out the engineering intellectual property of the DigiTech/DOD brands from the other brands (Lexicon, dbx, SoundCraft, JBL, etc.) that we also designed for to transfer the IP to Cortek. I said “Sure, I would be glad to help” The next phone call was from Jun Park, the president of Cortek, asking me if they could hire me to help them understand the IP that Harman was going to be transferring to them and help with parts issues with some of the products. I kind of laughed and said “Sure, I would glad to help with that, I’m the one putting that info together for the transfer”.

Also, as soon as the news became public my phone was flooded with texts like: “Did you hear that Harman sold DigiTech/DOD?”, “What do you think Cortec will do with the brands?” “Is there even anything left of the brand to sell?”

Now, to be honest I have always had a deep love for the DigiTech brand and had devoted 30+ years of my life to making DigiTech products but I was very skeptical of what the new owners would want to do with the brand. So, for the next few months I helped them work through parts problems and getting some of the products that Harman had discontinued back up and going again. As time went on they got to know me more and I got to know Jun and the Cortek team better and we started talking about the longer term future of the brand. I have come to see that Jun, and his team are great people to work with and have really showed that they respect the DigiTech brand and want to honor the past and help the brand grow into the future with the same dedication to innovation and excellence. Jun would ask me what I would do and I would simply say “I would love to get the band back together”. There are so many talented audio engineering guys in the Salt Lake City area that have evolved from the original DOD team over the years.

So, fast forward a few months and still working as a consultant I started to reach out to others from the old DigiTech team to see the level of interest. We all still keep in touch with each other and have great memories of the many Digitech designs over the years. As I reached out I mostly got the same skeptical feelings that I initially felt but I would tell them what I was doing and how great it could be if the Cortek team were interested in investing in an operation like that. Roger Johnsen was my first call, he goes way back with the brand and has worked on many of the iconic products over the years. If you ever wondered where the name “Gonkulator Modulator” or labeling control knobs as BUTT and FACE instead of HIGH and LOW it came from Roger’s head. Matt Calder was a clinician for DigiTech for many years doing Vocalist and JamMan demos for the music stores around the USA but he always had a knack for new product ideas. He went on to get an engineering degree and when I caught up with him, he was a professor at the local community college. I got Roger and Matt on as additional consultants working a few hours in the evenings to help me get more products back online. When I first reached out to Tom, we were both skeptical and he left the meeting saying “No, it will never happen” but I let my optimism persuade me to keep pushing forward anyway. Finally, after a few tries and with some encouragement from Jun, Tom jumped on as a consultant to help with their marketing efforts and help brainstorm product ideas for a possible future. The four of us helped put together a product roadmap to present to Jun and the rest of the Cortek team. I also started to put together a pro-forma business plan for starting a “DigiTech USA” division based in Utah and talking with Jun about what it would take to make it successful.

February was a flurry of activity of getting a new US based division started. From finding a building and ordering equipment to working with an HR/finance consultant to put employee benefits packages together and other details, I haven’t slept much. As a last minute bonus we also hired Parker Coons away from Skul Candy, he was the engineer behind the Rubberneck and a few other product and a fantastic hardware/software engineer. I hope you can tell my passion for DigiTech, we are all guitar players and fully committed to making this all successful.

And finally it has all came together and only a week ago (March 1st, 2023) we transitioned from simply being consultants (working in the evenings whenever we could) to full time employees of DigiTech/DOD.

To the future, BRING IT ON !

That being said, I want to ask if there will be another Whammy DT pedal model, but specifically for bass guitars, in the works? Like the combination of the Bass Whammy and the Drop Tune Pedal that bass players can also use to transpose up and down, like the Whammy DT?

You are literally the first, and only, person to ask me for this. No joke.

Oh, that's kinda surprising. Before mine broke just now, I found the Drop super useful on bass. Mine's not a five string but sometimes I need a couple really low notes and I would just cheese it with the Drop.

Back