Hi! We're the DigiTech/DOD USA Crew!

Hello Tom and the boys!

The Space Station has to be the most unique, cool sounding pedal of all time. I see guys on Reverb selling reprogrammed units from the same era so they'll sound like the SS, have you checked these out and are they legit (sounds)? Any chance of you guys rebooting the SS so I don't have to pay exorbitant Reverb pricing? :LOL:

Our new office:

backroom.JPG

Oh, fwiw, what I always wanted to know: Is there any kind of secret special sauce on the Whammy II's buffer? I used this a ton to just buffer my guitar signal (and sometimes basses, too), especially when running straight into the instrument input of an interface. In pretty much all cases, the Whammy's buffer was heaps better than any onboard Hi-Z inputs. Also seems to make pretty much all guitars volume pots to act extremely balanced. I would so much like to run it on my board, but well - board estate is an issue (hence my previous post) and the fact that it runs on AC isn't so great in case you're otherwise using DC pedals and appropriate PSUs only.
Still, that buffer seems to be absolutely fantastic.

Hey you guys, thank you so much for doing this. You must get so many questions, and I'm gonna try to avoid the obvious ones but:

Mini pedals?
Space station? I have an EX-7 which gets pretty close, but...
How about a pitch shifting pedal like a Drop but that allows you to fine or micro tune UP or down, let's say, to play at Pantera's pitch on one song, and then with a "pitched up" recording on another song (lots of songs have been sped or pitched up in the studio). And store them as presets!

I love my drop and bass Whammy. And thanks, Tom, for answering my Bass Whammy question on Facebook. I have the reissue, so you were right. The tone suck was coming from somewhere else, not the pedal because it's true bypass.

Hey you guys, thank you so much for doing this. You must get so many questions, and I'm gonna try to avoid the obvious ones but:

Mini pedals?

NGL I'm not a big fan of micro pedals, that doesn't mean no, it just means that I would need some serious convincing.

Space station? I have an EX-7 which gets pretty close, but...
How about a pitch shifting pedal like a Drop but that allows you to fine or micro tune UP or down, let's say, to play at Pantera's pitch on one song, and then with a "pitched up" recording on another song (lots of songs have been sped or pitched up in the studio). And store them as presets!

I planned on a pedal I was going to call the "Lift" (opposite of the Drop) but when I was talking about it a guitarist friend pulled-out a capo and said "kinda like this?" So I figured that the Whammy DT has that covered in a way that already made sense, beyond a traditional capo.
I love my drop and bass Whammy. And thanks, Tom, for answering my Bass Whammy question on Facebook. I have the reissue, so you were right. The tone suck was coming from somewhere else, not the pedal because it's true bypass.
Right on, glad you got it figured out!

I have no questions, but welcome and really excited to see Digitech/DOD relaunched (if that's the right word)!

I have very fond memories of the old DOD pedals (Supra Distortion, Grunge, Stereo Chorus, Envelope Filter). And some of the first multi-effects I ever used were the old Digitech RP series. I felt like a god when I got an RP-20 (complete with a preamp tube)!

And while I didn't own any of them, some of the later releases like the Hardwire series, Polara, Rubberneck, etc. are all very cool.

Side note, I forgot about the Bad Monkey pedal and those things are going for $75+ on Reverb!

NGL I'm not a big fan of micro pedals, that doesn't mean no, it just means that I would need some serious convincing.

I planned on a pedal I was going to call the "Lift" (opposite of the Drop) but when I was talking about it a guitarist friend pulled-out a capo and "like this?" So I figured that the Whammy DT has that covered in a way that already made sense, beyond a traditional capo.

Right on, glad you got it figured out!
Thanks for replying.

Well, capos are different. They don't always keep you in tune, and they're not tremolo bar-friendly. But what I was also asking about was a Drop/Lift that was capable of micro tuning. I think the EHX Fork supposedly makes something like that but I am so happy with the tech you use in the Drop pedal I wouldn't think of using something different. (As an aside... The Drop pedal not only pitch tracks well, but it fattens up the tone, too!)

Thanks for replying.

Well, capos are different. They don't always keep you in tune, and they're not tremolo bar-friendly. But what I was also asking about was a Drop/Lift that was capable of micro tuning. I think the EHX Fork supposedly makes something like that but I am so happy with the tech you use in the Drop pedal I wouldn't think of using something different. (As an aside... The Drop pedal not only pitch tracks well, but it fattens up the tone, too!)
Like the Luxe? If we are talking about an additional setting that does detuning, that makes some sense, I'll think on it.

Hello Tom and the boys!

The Space Station has to be the most unique, cool sounding pedal of all time. I see guys on Reverb selling reprogrammed units from the same era so they'll sound like the SS, have you checked these out and are they legit (sounds)? Any chance of you guys rebooting the SS so I don't have to pay exorbitant Reverb pricing? :LOL:
Thanks for the compliment on the Space Station, I had a big part in that design. When we started the 3rd generation Whammy development, we called it the Expression series (XP), it was to be a family of products with treadle control. The original plan was for 3 products, a whammy pedal, a modulation pedal, and a delay/reverb based pedal. After we defined out those products and started to work on the DSP for them I wanted to do something more out of left field so I went to John Johnson and pitched the idea for an "everything else" pedal. He told me "you give me the other three pedals and you can do anything you want with a 4th". So we started to throw many of the ideas we had been kicking around into that pedal. Keep in mind that the DSP team is not just one person and we all had our favorite DSP ideas that we would work on. I always liked the category of effects in the feedback loop of other effects and I loved LoFi Pixelator DSP tricks so the Synth and Alien categories come from my head, also played around with resonators and some of that is in there too. Rusty and Rick were other DSP guys that had tons of great ideas that are in there too. These were still early days and there were lots of ideas being thrown around. I think we all were coding nonstop till way past midnight to try new things, it was an amazing time and an amazing team. As far as what are we going to do next? Since I am very familiar with those Algos (I wrote some of them) you will definitely see stuff like that in future new products but I am not really interested in just doing a rerelease without pushing more new ideas forward as well.

Back