Hey everyone! Boss released a big Katana Air today!…hello?

Is this the 97th rehashed turd in this series of turds? Let it die already ffs :poop:
Boss not letting it die…
Pay Day Money GIF

This clearly goes after the Yamaha THR30-II market. That amp is $549 at Sweetwater, and the difference with the Boss Katana Air EX is that the Boss is larger with bigger speakers (Boss 2x 5" vs Yamaha 2x 3.5").

I'd say this amp category is largely for people who play at home at low volumes but want something that is better than the tiny THR/Katana Air boxes but not the kind of amp that needs more volume to sound good. I know a few friends who love the THR for a home amp because to them it makes sense over having "proper" amps/cabs at home. It's a "noodle on it for 30 minutes when the kids are not bothering me" type deal that they can grab and put where needed easily.

We here are definitely not the intended customer as we don't mind having amps and cabs parked in a music room, or using studio monitors with a higher end modeler.

Also, playing my 1x12 open back amp at a low volume might have the same dBs as a desktop amp, but it’s a wildly different experience. Speaker size and cabinet design are so crucial to the whole thing, but a lot more boring to talk about on the forums and YouTube.

As much as I agree with myself because I’m always right, threads on the differences between speakers put me to sleep faster than a bottle of Woodford.

As much as I agree with myself because I’m always right, threads on the differences between speakers put me to sleep faster than a bottle of Woodford.
It's kind of like eating a 5 course meal where every course is tasty but each person will like a different one the best. Makes for some interesting discussion but we usually end up with "these are all different kinds of good".

It's kind of like eating a 5 course meal where every course is tasty but each person will like a different one the best. Makes for some interesting discussion but we usually end up with "these are all different kinds of good".
Hmm. Sounds like that dinner is lacking in red meat. :)

Say what you will about Lee being a strong promoter but on the other hand he does not hide his distaste for products . It obvious and when he says something it’s always in the polite British tone but you can tell from things

Well I don’t know who this product is for really

I am not sure that the market really needs something like this

If your starting out in your bedroom it might be a reasonable choice for you

I think it’s cool if you happen to be someone that could use a product of its type. (And are willing to spend 0.85 Stomps for something like this) I mean it’s clearly not aimed at the “I have seven 100w amps in my man cave that I can blast at volume” crowd.

This stuff is cool in a novelty sorta way, but it’s not for me.

To those that still frequent TGP ie: have not been banned
Is there an update has he bought anything yet ?

A quick check reveals that he's recently said that he's still enjoying his Blackstar tvp260 [sic] and vox valvetronix ad120 vtx. So I'm guessing no?

To those that still frequent TGP ie: have not been banned
Is there an update has he bought anything yet ?
I don't think he will ever buy anything. He seems interested in the BluGuitar Amp X but will probably find a reason to not buy it.

I don't think he will ever buy anything. He seems interested in the BluGuitar Amp X but will probably find a reason to not buy it.
I honestly don’t know when that’s coming out , it was a cool idea 4 years ago , but others have progressed as well

I think there's potentially a market for a good quality small amp, like a better THR, but this ain't it.

It's a shame the Bad Cat Paw didn't really pan out. Something small with stereo 4-5" speakers, a good quality cab, clean amp with input for modelers, etc.
badcat-thepaw@1400x1050.jpg

The main issue for me would be that the Air EX doesn't have a rechargable battery in it. Sure, you can purchase an external one from Boss... which can be said of any other desktop amp in the market.
The optional battery fits inside the Katana Air Ex, so it is effectively internal, although it does look like it doesn't fit flush with the back of the amp.

Back