Helix Talk

A Stomp, an expression pedal, a 2-switch and a flexible midi controller has been my rig for a few years now. I have recorded with it, gigged with it, done looping projects with it, gone direct with it, gone into amps with it, gone into powered cabs with it, done acoustic+electric gigs with it, even used vocals with it (mic+electric), done bass gigs with it, used it as an amp-less solution, used it as an effects only solution, used it as an audio interface for my plugins in my DAW for direct monitoring (Tonex, Amplitude, HX Native and others). I really can't think of a more value for money compact do it all rig, that is as expandable or contractable as you need it! For home players and giggers alike.

View attachment 25039

The Ampero control has been an amazing buddy to the stomp, and I have only used one of its 2 expression pedal inputs.

I have the switches mapped to some key functions on the stomp that really unlocks the stomp for me:

View attachment 25040

I have heard your music, you make beautiful music. It matters.
Why not just an HX Stomp XL with expression and some Command Center wizardry? I really wish Line. 6 would add long presses on foot switches (Fractal-esque)

Why not just an HX Stomp XL with expression and some Command Center wizardry?
Space for pedals, and I understand him. That’s what I also consider a factor. If I decided on an overall size of board I want, and how many pedals, I decide by that.
XL plus pedals plus expression is a size.
stomp plus pedals plus expression is another size, or the same size but more pedals :rofl
I really wish Line. 6 would add long presses on foot switches (Fractal-esque)
Funny enough the XL seem to have long press on it’s up/down switches.

Could be faster, but it's definitely a "luxury problem".

No, it's not. If we were talking about "luxury problems", everything discussed in this entire forum would be a luxury problem. As a result, no issue ever needed to be taken seriously by any developer.
Thing is, you need to put things into relation. And once you're doing that, HXN is pretty bad in comparison, no way around it.

No, it's not. If we were talking about "luxury problems", everything discussed in this entire forum would be a luxury problem. As a result, no issue ever needed to be taken seriously by any developer.
Thing is, you need to put things into relation. And once you're doing that, HXN is pretty bad in comparison, no way around it.
It takes 2-3 seconds (?) at most, then runs smoothly. Not a big deal if you don't make one out of it.

Sure, it could be improved, but doesn't really impact the overall workflow.

Again and again, HXN is coming up with this:

Nonsense.png

1) It's utter nonsense, The IR associated with the IR block in the currently loaded preset is loading fine.
2) Ever since FW 3.x, the IR position isn't relevant anymore as long as the associated IR is available in any slot.

I suspect HXN is looking at the entire patch list rather than just analysing the blocks loaded at the very moment (as saved within your DAW).
There seems to be a contradiction between things saved in your DAW and things saved as presets within HXN. When you create a preset using an IR block and then modify the preset such as in deleting the IR block but only save things within your DAW and not in the preset itself, HXN will still reference to the saved preset. In a DAW context, this is making absolutely no sense. HXN should only ever complain about a missing IR when you load an internally saved preset or import one.

That’s off. Native loads waaaaay faster than Kontact for me. I would probably try an uninstall/reinstall regarding the IR bug.

But I just checked and Kontakt is in fact a tad slower than HXN. It is however sharing resources between instances, so in case you have one loaded, any consecutively loaded instances load/open way faster. HXN isn't sharing resources between instances, load/open times are the same for each instance in a project.

This - and it's also that opening the plugin UI (with the plugin already loaded) is quite slow. And that's where things can get annoying quickly.
Yup. Any time a plug-in hangs while loading a UI is time for terror. It’s when a lot of things can and often do go wrong. If you have a DAW like reaper where you have a lot of real-time diagnostic tools watch what happens during the load up of helix native. It’s not pleasant. And can make for some problems. After it’s on, except for the intermittent mystery buffer, it seems to run pretty enviously great

Whats going on with Metallurgy? Why do these feel like the farting red headed step child of the Helix family?

Vitriol model still sounds broken on the crunch channel (figured this fix would have been ported over by now), GUI is tiny by modern standards (compare it here to NDSP). My screen is set about 80cm away and so much of the Metallurgy text is small and hard to read (small narrow fonts with similar colours nearby). For example look at the Vitriol or Rev Generator text by the handle, or the shadow of the knobs obscuring the values.

Screenshot 2024-07-13 at 17.26.04.jpg

Kind of frustrating because the sounds are excellent, but the visuals seriously hold it back. I also know how well Line 6 can do this stuff, so it just baffles me why its so bad. I hope the concept still has legs as I think the concept is a winner but the execution needs a tweak for it to really connect with people. The only thing I can guess is that whatever Helix does next will approach this stuff from scratch and they don't see it as something worth developing right now.

Screenshot 2024-07-13 at 17.37.59.png

Whats going on with Metallurgy? Why do these feel like the farting red headed step child of the Helix family?

Vitriol model still sounds broken on the crunch channel (figured this fix would have been ported over by now), GUI is tiny by modern standards (compare it here to NDSP). My screen is set about 80cm away and so much of the Metallurgy text is small and hard to read (small narrow fonts with similar colours nearby). For example look at the Vitriol or Rev Generator text by the handle, or the shadow of the knobs obscuring the values.

View attachment 25234

Kind of frustrating because the sounds are excellent, but the visuals seriously hold it back. I also know how well Line 6 can do this stuff, so it just baffles me why its so bad. I hope the concept still has legs as I think the concept is a winner but the execution needs a tweak for it to really connect with people. The only thing I can guess is that whatever Helix does next will approach this stuff from scratch and they don't see it as something worth developing right now.

View attachment 25236

angry work GIF

katana gen 3 modeling is above GT-1000, not even remotely kidding. GT-1000 successor or update is gonna turn heads
What are you basing this on? As in, how are you listening to the gen3 Katana compared to the GT1000 to establish your findings. Side by side A/B comparison in real time? Both playing through same output driver?
I ask because listening to a Katana amp-the-room and comparing it to a GT1000 through something different like "FRFR", even side by side is not a fair comparison.
I’m hoping you are right but I’m always hoping Katana is more than it is…

Back