Helix JCM800 2203 Request Thread (FW 3.70 new Brit 2203)!

So I'm thinking, why not Line 6 take the badly modified 2204 in their possession and apply various great mods on it and model them?
Jose Arredondo, #34, J.Lee, etc... popular mods that people actually used back in the 80s and not just bright cap hating strat players.
This particular 2204 has been fuxked with pretty badly already so it's not like they're destroying a pristine collectible, this is a huge opportunity for Line 6.

So I'm thinking, why not Line 6 take the badly modified 2204 in their possession and apply various great mods on it and model them?
Jose Arredondo, #34, J.Lee, etc... popular mods that people actually used back in the 80s and not just bright cap hating strat players.
This particular 2204 has been fuxked with pretty badly already so it's not like they're destroying a pristine collectible, this is a huge opportunity for Line 6.
I think the challenge there is that Line 6's modeling process doesn't seem to support real-time tweaking the way Fractal's does. For Fractal, I think those can be done because it's simulating the circuit on-the-fly, so it's relatively simple to produce modded variants. Line 6 seems to be more rigid in how the models are created and calibrated, as best we can tell, so each mod might require repeating most of their modeling process.

But, I would love to see them re-visit some of their modded existing amps too (like the Plexi, 2204, JTM?), bring them back to stock, and make stock models. The 2203 has been well received, and while that's partly due to it being a kickass amp, I think it's also because the ref amp was stock and in good working order.

Edit: I think one lesson here, for all modeling vendors, is that consumers expect an amp named Plexi, 2204, etc. to sound like a stock model of that amp. If it doesn't, it's assumed that the modeling process isn't accurate, even if the ref amp sounded just like it. Reference amps should be checked for circuit fookery, and if they decide to model it anyway, it should be noted as a mod in the name of the model. And it should also be considered if that mod will be more popular than a stock amp -- likely no.

Last edited:
Back