Helix FW update FUBAR? PROBLEM SOLVED

Boudoir Guitar

Rock Star
Updating my Rack to 3.50. I'm at the "Boot Failure, Entered Update Mode!" screen and I'm supposed to be able to go to HX Edit and click "resume" buuuuuut......

HX edit is a blank screen with "No Device Connected" at the bottom.

Thoughts? @Digital Igloo

EDIT: This thread totally fixed the issue and is worth reading for anyone having a FW update problem in HX.

Last edited:
In addition, are you using one of the main USB ports of your computer, rather than those on the front panel (which are usually connected to a sort of internal hub)?

Follow @Sascha Franck's steps here?

And instead of switches 6 and 12, I imagine ENC1 & ENC6 for Rack Update Mode should work.

And instead of switches 6 and 12, I imagine ENC1 & ENC6 for Rack Update Mode should work.
Will give this a try and report back. Thanks everyone.

I actually updated some of that information in a dedicated thread...

1674062018517.jpeg

Hmmmm, so when I try to reboot rack with ECN1 and 6 pressed down, the screen reads "Entered Update Mode!" Updater doesn't show any connected devices (I am using USB port on back of computer and a USB cable that I've used to successfully update L6 and Fractal devices dozens of times). Won't be able to try a different machine until later.

Actually, just powering on without holding down encoders allowed Updater to see it -- Update seems to be in progress. Fingers crossed.

Did you read the 3.50 release notes and the update instructions within?
The "Boot Failure" screen is part of this update, it supposed to happen. and you supposed to wait up to 30 minutes.

Did you read the 3.50 release notes and the update instructions within?
The "Boot Failure" screen is part of this update, it supposed to happen. and you supposed to wait up to 30 minutes.

Read my post and compare to the release notes to see the problem. Yes, its supposed to happen. And then you are supposed to go and click "resume" in HX Edit. But my HX Edit was blank and said No Device was connected.

But my HX Edit was blank and said No Device was connected.

I seem to remember something like that to happen to others.
Apparently, there's lots of ways to run into issues when performing an online update. They could be a result of the same root problem (incomplete download with non working checksum check or whatever...) but it could as well be different things.

And while folks on forums may accuse you of not following the update guidelines properly (which might in fact apply in many cases), there's defenitely more to it. I performed several updates exactly following L6's instructions. And they all worked flawlessly until 3.15 (I think). All of a sudden the unit seemed bricked and HX Edit wouldn't connect to it, either. Only using the Line 6 Updater and performing an offline update helped. So, while some users might not be the brightest candles, there's defenitely something quite fishy on Line 6's side as well, no way around it.

Back