Helix Firmware 3.60

Expanding on the difference between the two Alnico Blues: I read that there are Chinese and UK made Celesion Blues.

To me it sounds like 2x12 Blue Bell has the UK version (focused sound) and the 1x12 has the Chinese one (open sound).
I might confuse speaker sound with cab sound though, meaning I don't know how much of a difference the cab construction and dimensions make.

Tha cream sounds nice. Like it. Undecided for the Litigator though. Deluxe cab still feels like the “right fit” for the Lit…

I like the Elms… it’s very “even” in some way. Not flat, but very even… like how it stands out from the very charismatically focused Ventoux. Elms feels bigger and broader. must match a cab though, Black 30 and me ain’t friends on this one.

Last edited:
School me, a total cab noob, the 1x12 cream. Is that what you call Alnico Blue?
New cabs in 3.6 (from the release notes):
1x12 Blue Bell (Single, Dual), captured from* the 1×12″ Vox® AC-15 Blue Alnico
1x12 Open Cream (Single, Dual), captured from* a custom 1x12" open back cabinet G12M-65
1x12 Open Cast (Single, Dual), captured from* a custom 1x12" open back cabinet EVM12L
2x12 Silver Bell (Single, Dual), captured from* the 2×12″ Vox® AC-30TB Silver Alnico
2x12 Match H30 (Single, Dual), captured from* the 2x12" Matchless® DC-30 custom G12H-30
2x12 Match G25 (Single, Dual), captured from* the 2x12" Matchless® DC-30 custom G12M-25
4x12 Greenback 20 (Single, Dual), captured from* the 4×12″ Marshall® Basketweave G12M-20

No. All fine. It totally depends on what you use and what want to achieve with it. I struggle to get nice upper mids with "air" on the 2x12 - it's either harsh or not open enough for me basically. Doesn't mean it's bad - just not my idea of it.
Mind sharing your settings?
Sure. Not a lot of adjustment went into it. I use it in a dual with different mics, and should probably note that it's intended as my everyday just practicing/playing patch, most often with headphones, and I spread it out in the stereo spectrum and use some delay on one side. It works okay through my THR10c, which is my poor man's "FRFR". Probably wouldn't be ideal in any kind of mix. I think many of the settings are just the defaults. I use an HSS strat clone and the patch is set up to be generally but loosely applicable to late-70s early-80s Alex Lifeson-esque stuff.

First occurrence

mic sm57
position 7.1
distance 1.00"
Angle 0deg
Low Cut 100 Hz
High Cut off
Level -3.2dB
Pan Left 100
Delay 0 ms

Second occurrence

mic 121 Ribbon
position 4.4
distance 3.50"
Angle 0deg
Low Cut 100 Hz
High Cut off
Level -3.2dB
Pan Right 100
Delay 18 ms

Posted initially on TGP, but think it is worthwhile to add it here.

I was looking at the GRG and Elmsley amp models to get a reasonably accurate estimate of their DSP usage, and by my calculations they are almost identical to one another.

FWIW, my methodology to calculate this was to build 3 presets containing the new amps and models with "known" DSP allocations and then added volume blocks until I could add no more.

This allowed me to estimate the DSP allocations for the GRG and Elmsley and averaged them to get a DSP usage of 41.46.

Testing this with a new preset gave me a total DSP usage of 100.13%, but given none of the allocations are 100% accurate, I think it is close enough.

If anyone is interested, my results can be found here:

Helix 3.60 New Amp Models DSP

Last edited:
Posted initially on TGP, but think it is worthwhile to add it here.

I was looking at the GRG and Elmsley amp models to get a reasonably accurate estimate of their DSP usage, and by my calculations they are almost identical to one another.

FWIW, my methodology to calculate this was to build 3 presets containing the new amps and models with "known" DSP allocations and then added volume blocks until I could add no more.

This allowed me to estimate the DSP allocations for the GRG and Elmsley and averaged them to get a DSP usage of 41.46.

Testing this with a new preset gave me a total DSP usage of 100.13%, but given none of the allocations are 100% accurate, I think it is close enough.

If anyone is interested, my results can be found here:

Helix 3.60 New Amp Models DSP
Vesco says Grammadumble is 39%

It did give me a reason to test my methodology again though, using the Grammatico LaGrange:

1683375085092.png

I believe my estimate is very close - if I take the preset on the left and change the amp to the Brit Plexi Jump (41.23%), I'm still unable to add another volume block (0.47%), so I believe the likely value is somewhere between the 41.23% of the Plexi and the 41.46% average I calculated.

I'm going to take off the 0.13 "overage" in my test allocation above, giving me a final value of 41.33 - I suspect Ben Vesco's number will be very similar! ;)

Short test to confirm above mentioned figures for the Grammatico GSG and Elmsley:
2 Sovereigns, 1 Clawthorn and 1 Gain -> fits in
2 Sovereigns, 1 Clawthorn and 1 Stereo Width -> doesn't fit in
Upper limit: 100 - (2x20 + 17.87 + 0.47) = 41.66
Lower limit: 100 - (2x20 + 17.87 + 0.79) = 41.34
-> 41.46 is within tested boundaries

Well I was hoping new in-house models would be “slimmer”. But I guess they are making “better” models and such they take more DSP.

Elms has not knocked down Litigator for me though… I always seem to prefer the sound of the Litigator+deluxe cab. May be my guitar. Or ears. Or taste. Or somthn

Like many folks here I started the guitar journey with a deep obsession with SRV that I grew out of. However, when fussing over dialing in the GSG I decided to go back to the roots of the Dumble thing for me. So I dialed up a clean tone and put the 808 model in front. It sounded and felt amazing. But it only ever sounded like me, no matter how much I tried to sound like SRV.

Like many folks here I started the guitar journey with a deep obsession with SRV that I grew out of. However, when fussing over dialing in the GSG I decided to go back to the roots of the Dumble thing for me. So I dialed up a clean tone and put the 808 model in front. It sounded and felt amazing. But it only ever sounded like me, no matter how much I tried to sound like SRV.
And yes, I know SRV used a Steel String Singer which is fundamentally different from the ODS, but that’s not the point @ragingplatypi !

(I’m just going to use this forum to argue with myself from now on)

Well that's just ridiculous behaviour. Plenty of people argue with themselves at the other place but at least they have the decency to use different usernames. Noob :facepalm :sneaky:
Is that real? :oops: I missed out on that drama. Probably for the best. I stick to knobs vs. sliders. Though now I’m thinking all controls should be replaced with skeuomorphic dip switches.

And yes, I know SRV used a Steel String Singer which is fundamentally different from the ODS, but that’s not the point @ragingplatypi !

(I’m just going to use this forum to argue with myself from now on)
Except the first album--he used Jackson Browne's OD-100 something or other. Dunno if that's anywhere close to the new Grammatico/Robben Ford's amp.

Back