Helix 3.8 when?

I don't keep my Helix to be excited with updates, but to play music with it. And it looks like it will keep being useful for that for a few more years xD

But yeah, I miss the old hype a bit. I'd be really hyped with more modulation effects or poly synths.

And while I love amps and cabs, I have more than I need right now. But hey, I updated all my presets recently to switch cleans to Line6 Clarity and slightly dirty to Brit 2203, so I'm curious about new additions :)
good for you, personally I have been praying for a jubilee hx since 2019... the title of the thread is for enthusiasts, and believe me the behavior pattern of the users is very different from previous releases

not so soon

Screenshot_2024-09-23-19-06-39-884-edit_com.android.chrome.jpg

If I read the above statement correctly, then this release will include two amp-engine revisions, the November 2023 revision, and the Fall 2024 revision. Since I'm pretty happy and set with my presets, amp-engine improvements are the most exciting thing to me.

I could be wrong but reading DI's quote he specifically says Helix "core" modeling engine. I believe he's referring to the cab engine and not amp engine. November 2022 was when 3.50 first came out with the new cab engine. We already got the November 2023 revision in 3.70 when more cabs were added. Both 3.50 and 3.70 never mention anything specific about amp engine updates but do specifically mention "cab engine". I asked DI if amp modeling was updated as well but no response. I think in 3.8 we are getting more cabs. More amps as well. But I don't think an amp engine revision if I'm reading things correctly.

I could be wrong but reading DI's quote he specifically says Helix "core" modeling engine. I believe he's referring to the cab engine and not amp engine. November 2022 was when 3.50 first came out with the new cab engine. We already got the November 2023 revision in 3.70 when more cabs were added. Both 3.50 and 3.70 never mention anything specific about amp engine updates but do specifically mention "cab engine". I asked DI if amp modeling was updated as well but no response. I think in 3.8 we are getting more cabs. More amps as well. But I don't think an amp engine revision if I'm reading things correctly.
"New amp engine" doesn't fit "3.8 will be a small update", yes.

If I recall correctly “core” is a wider term. Not just cabs or just amps, “Helix Core” would be the common ground between most of the products.

"New amp engine" doesn't fit "3.8 will be a small update", yes.
Maybe, but incremental improvements to the existing amp engine may not be considered big. Either way I hope it’s the case, I've never had a chance to play a Fractal, but the general perception is that that the amps are a step above Helix. I'd love to see that gap narrowed if possible.

There have been numerous updates to the amp engine over the years—some significant, others less so. We run some clever scripting in the background so the sound and feel of existing presets aren't affected. 2.80 was a big one. 3.10 and 3.50 were two more. Most other updates (including 3.70 and the upcoming 3.80) include additional tweaks and changes we don't necessarily call out.

The takeaway is that Helix is absolutely, positively not running on a 9-year-old engine.

There have been numerous updates to the amp engine over the years—some significant, others less so. We run some clever scripting in the background so the sound and feel of existing presets aren't affected. 2.80 was a big one. 3.10 and 3.50 were two more. Most other updates (including 3.70 and the upcoming 3.80) include additional tweaks and changes we don't necessarily call out.

The takeaway is that Helix is absolutely, positively not running on a 9-year-old engine.
a legendary christmas GIF by NBC

Awesome. Thanks for the answer DI

What's the logic for not advertising it and letting people who don't follow forum discussions believe that it does?
Lately almost every video that comes out about Helix starts with "it's over a decade old".

What's the logic for not advertising it and letting people who don't follow forum discussions believe that it does?
Lately almost every video that comes out about Helix starts with "it's over a decade old".
My guess: Because if you tell the people there’s more kerrang/wapoosh/growl/bark/bite, they will hear more kerrang/wapoosh/growl/bark/bite. This isn’t a dig at any other company, but we all know how powerful suggestion can be.

I also imagine L6 has taken note of the opining over modeling updates that change the sound of your presets and require rework, so they just avoid that pandemonium all together by keeping a tight lid on such things.

Back