Helix 3.5 - Fredman Technique

Also; you're going to need to add an Unsolved Mysterys blacked out silhouette with witness protection pitch shifted voiceover to these!

Yeah, some fizz is important, it's very tempting to remove all fizz but then the guitar sounds hollow and airy at the same time, the trick is to not overdo it and remove only a few db of the fizz.

For sure. I was just saying it wasn’t my experience that the Fredman technique eliminates fizz, rather emphasizes it, from my experience. Very hot tones, lots of upper end sizzle. Great for some styles/tones, maybe not so much for others.

For sure. I was just saying it wasn’t my experience that the Fredman technique eliminates fizz, rather emphasizes it, from my experience. Very hot tones, lots of upper end sizzle. Great for some styles/tones, maybe not so much for others.
My only Fredman experience is the York IRs (I have almost all the V30 packs), so maybe he does it slightly different but I found they all eliminate the fizz (almost entirely) and give it a nasally/honky tone. If I had to guess the frequencies, they cut 5-6kHz and boost 2-3kHz relative to other IRs in the pack. It's a very distinct tone.

My only Fredman experience is the York IRs (I have almost all the V30 packs), so maybe he does it slightly different but I found they all eliminate the fizz (almost entirely) and give it a nasally/honky tone. If I had to guess the frequencies, they cut 5-6kHz and boost 2-3kHz relative to other IRs in the pack. It's a very distinct tone.

That’s probably a better descriptor (nasal/honkey) :ROFLMAO:

A few riffs from the album Clayman by In Flames, I got very close to the album tone.
I want to share the preset but The Colonel refuses. :p

Helix Preset:
Code:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GWLu1M5OoJe07gMZiV6COGILo3ji3pMb/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
The V30 Uber dual cab works really, really well with the simulated Fredman technique. Both SM57s on the cap edge, same level, the angled one delayed by 0,06 - et voilà. Perfect match for the Vitriol Crunch. Felt the instant need to play the opening riff of Bullet Ride :rawk

This is my method of recreating the Fredman micing technique with the new cab block in Helix 3.5.

Helix allows 0.02ms delay steps which is the smallest delay in 48kHz sampling rate (1/48000), speed of sound is 343 m/s at room temperature so each 0.02ms delay step translates to 6.86mm (0.27") distance in the real world.
A time delay resolution of 0.02ms combined with the tiny non-linear phase delay created by the High Cut is precise enough to simulate any real world micro delay created between two mics as you will see in the video.

For the Fredman technique I use 0.06ms delay and adjust the High Cut to precisely control the notch frequency, the phase between the mics and volume mix are the two important factors, mic angle is not that critical.

I don't think people fully realize yet how incredibly versatile the new cab block is.

I quote as a reup because it is awesome !

Back